Jump to content

[Guide] [10.14] Installation Guide for macOS 10.14 Mojave Beta


11 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

Here is my guide for making a bootable media for installation of macOS 10.14 Mojave Beta

 

Pre-Requisites

  • A computer running macOS / or at least OS X 10.7.5
  • A USB Drive of at least 8GB in size.
  • Access to Installation App "Install macOS 10.14 Beta.app"
  • Clover EFI Installer /// Clover r4509 and prior releases are known to not work well with Mojave... Try to avoid it. Thanks @Hervé 
    Download here:https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder/releases
  • Some time to have fun behind your screen :)

 

Steps:

 

Step 1:

WARNING: Erasing your USB drive will remove all contents off it. If you need to backup the data on the USB Drive, DO IT NOW!

 

a) Plug in a USB of at least 8GB in size. I used a partition of my SSD.

b) Open Disk Utility and format the aforementioned USB Drive with these options:

  • Name: "USB" (without quotation marks)
  • Format: Mac OS Extended Journaled
  • Scheme: GUID Partition Map

 

WARNING: Erasing your USB drive will remove all contents off it. If you need to backup the data on the USB Drive, DO IT NOW!

 

Press Erase and let the process complete.

 

Step 2:

a) Open Terminal and run this command:

Notice that the "--applicationpath" command is not included as it is now depreciated. In addition to this, "--converttoapfs NO" is also depreciated and therefor macOS Mojave can can initially be installed on HFS+ but, the installer will later convert it to AFPS if you are using a SSD for the installation. Please bear this in mind before continuing.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 10.14\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB

WARNING: Erasing your USB drive will remove all contents off it. If you need to backup the data on the USB Drive, DO IT NOW!

 

Press Enter and then "Y" to confirm the erase and let the process complete.

 

Upon completion, the USB will be renamed Install macOS 10.14 Beta.

 

Step 3:

 

 

a) Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge
b) Open Clover package installer
c) Hit Continue, Continue, Change Install Location...
d) Choose the USB, now called Install macOS 10.14 Beta
e) Hit Customise and install Clover to the same USB using one of the following examples:

UEFI.png.845302496a2698a92a6270ce8892306c.pngLegacy.png.3b6bb12206a62337bb674f467543ea6a.png

f) Copy apfs.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ See attachments for latest version as of writing this guide
g) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and add FakeSMC.kext Choose the latest version!
h) (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ and add your ethernet kext
 

 

Finished:

 

You have now successfully created a bootable USB. You can now boot from this to install macOS Mojave Beta on your system.

 

Good luck!

 

Credits:

  • Apple for macOS
  • Insanelymac for this amazing forum
  • Clover for Clover
  • @Hervé Info on Clover Compatibility and APFS error

 

 

apfs.efi

Edited by moman2000
  • Like 2

Clover r4509 not recommended. It's been reported to trigger "unknown CPU" errors among other issues, lead to extremely long times to reach Mojave installation screen and end up failed installations. New versions like r4517/r4519 include additional patches and appear necessary to make a successful installation.

Another thing to confirm is your APFS-related statement. Afaik, the target partition does not have to be APFS formated and I certainly was able to initiate installation on a legacy HFS+ partition without any conversion.

Edited by Hervé
27 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Clover r4509 not recommended. It's been reported to trigger "unknown CPU" errors among other issues, lead to extremely long times to reach Mojave installation screen and end up failed installations. New versions like r4517/r4519 include additional patches and appear necessary to make a successful installation.

Another thing to confirm is your APFS-related statement. Afaik, the target partition does not have to be APFS formated and I certainly was able to initiate installation on a legacy HFS+ partition without any conversion.

Hi,

 

Sorry about the confusion I have caused. I am aware that you can initiate installation on a HFS partition. I meant to say that it would be converted to APFS regardless if you chose HFS or not. At least, that is what I have experienced.

 

I am aware that the current clover release is not suited for Mojave and that newer versions are out. Although, I have not been able to find them apart from the one I found while browsing the web which was Clover_v2.4k_r4516.pkg

 

Update: I have just stumbled across Dids clover-builder GIT. This GIT seems to be the place to find the new versions.

 

Thanks for your insight to my mistake. I appreciate it!

 

Regards,

Mohamed

Edited by moman2000
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, luki1979 said:

Hi. When I used apfs.efi you provided Clover couldn't see Mojave installation partition on the USB. 

It's working fine with apfs. efi included in the newest Clover installer tho. 

The one included in this thread is an older release from beta 1. Therefor, the latest version of Clover won't work with an older version of apfs.efi.

I've managed to vanilla install Mojave, only fakeSMC.kext in clover needed. USB 3.0 works. I'm using Apple wireless PCI-E and USB audio interface. Works surprisingly well with HD4000. Just needed to tick inject EDID and inject Intel in clover. Too easy. :)

  • Like 1
1 hour ago, luki1979 said:

I've managed to vanilla install Mojave, only fakeSMC.kext in clover needed. USB 3.0 works. I'm using Apple wireless PCI-E and USB audio interface. Works surprisingly well with HD4000. Just needed to tick inject EDID and inject Intel in clover. Too easy. :)

Hi,

 

Congratz!

If you need more help look for other threads with the same specs of your device/pc.

I am sure the 3rd gen is a popular platform for hackintoshes.

 

Regards,

Mohamed

 

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The installer worked just fine and I imstalled it on a second HDD. But i won’t start: it hangs like shown in the attached pic.But I think it’s related to UEFI boot x BIOS boot - I’m currently on Sierra, booting from BIOS (legacy boot). But I had to use UEFI the Mojave HDD because I cannot install clover on it from Sierra - the Clover package won’t allow me, it won’t recognize it as a valid target because of APFS- so I simply copied my entire EFI folder from the root of Sierra’s HDD to the EFI of Mojave’s. Problem is, I never tried UEFI boot since a long, long time. So I’m quite probably doing something wrong.

6BF5E56F-8A17-4499-982B-7203300648E0.jpeg

  • 1 year later...
On 9/5/2018 at 10:10 PM, theconnactic said:

The installer worked just fine and I imstalled it on a second HDD. But i won’t start: it hangs like shown in the attached pic.But I think it’s related to UEFI boot x BIOS boot - I’m currently on Sierra, booting from BIOS (legacy boot). But I had to use UEFI the Mojave HDD because I cannot install clover on it from Sierra - the Clover package won’t allow me, it won’t recognize it as a valid target because of APFS- so I simply copied my entire EFI folder from the root of Sierra’s HDD to the EFI of Mojave’s. Problem is, I never tried UEFI boot since a long, long time. So I’m quite probably doing something wrong.

6BF5E56F-8A17-4499-982B-7203300648E0.jpeg

 

Hello

 

I'm experiencing the same problem with an HP 800 G1 SFF trying to install mojave

 

How did you solve that?

 

Regards

×
×
  • Create New...