R9 380X and High sierra help

Pink Waters

71 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Pink Waters said:

reboots.

ok, my original efi folder worked ofcourse to blackscreen

although I have a bunch of I/O errors (relating to my other drives) in the verbose that made the booting takes like 20 min lol

Well it's getting a bit confusing for me as well. I think I have to try to reproduce the situation that you are having to find a solution for that problem.

But unfortunately I'm going to go away for few days and I won't have access to my rigs to reproduce the same issue.

How many DVI ports does the GPU have? if it's more than one have you tested both of them?

Edited by Cyberdevs

OK,

I tested my rig just now and the upper DVI port doesn't work but the lower one is working ok with the current folder I attached here.

It's a long shot but it's worth a try as the last resort.

I have an AMD R9 270X installed on that rig.

There are major differences between my rig and yours including the mainboard and the GPU.

But if none these work out you can try an HDMI-DVI cable which you can connect it to the HDMI port on your GPU and connect the DVI connector to your monitor.

P7H55 - 10.3.4.zip

11 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

OK,

I tested my rig just now and the upper DVI port doesn't work but the lower one is working ok with the current folder I attached here.

It's a long shot but it's worth a try as the last resort.

I have an AMD R9 270X installed on that rig.

There are major differences between my rig and yours including the mainboard and the GPU.

But if none these work out you can try an HDMI-DVI cable which you can connect it to the HDMI port on your GPU and connect the DVI connector to your monitor.

P7H55 - 10.3.4.zip

Well thank you very much for your help so far. I will try the cable you told me about and I will try the efi folder with the lower DVI, because I have 2 DVIs

again, I am very grateful for you help. and I hope you have a good few days away :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pink Waters said:

Well thank you very much for your help so far. I will try the cable you told me about and I will try the efi folder with the lower DVI, because I have 2 DVIs

again, I am very grateful for you help. and I hope you have a good few days away :)

I hope changing the DVI port resolves the issue and there will be no need to buy a new cable (because that might not work either if the problem is something else rather than the macOS not being able to detect the correct layout of your GPU's output ports)

Good luck man!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

I hope changing the DVI port resolves the issue and there will be no need to buy a new cable (because that might not work either if the problem is something else rather than the macOS not being able to detect the correct layout of your GPU's output ports)

Good luck man!

Ok, so I brought my TV from the bedroom and connected it through HDMI...... black screen :(

tried whatevergreen and black screen also...

I give up.

Edit: Also you folder reboots the system. :/

Edited by Pink Waters

1 minute ago, Pink Waters said:

Ok, so I brought my TV from the bedroom and connected it through HDMI...... black screen :(

tried whatevergreen and black screen also...

I give up.

Edit: Also you folder reboots the system. :/

That's a bummer.

I don't know what could be causing it. macOS Installer should work because it doesn't need to load the AMDXXXXController.kext so the black screen only happens when macOS tries to initialize the GPU which was later fixed with WhateverGreen, RadeonDeInit and macOS 10.13.4 with support for eGPUs.

This is a puzzle!

3 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

That's a bummer.

I don't know what could be causing it. macOS Installer should work because it doesn't need to load the AMDXXXXController.kext so the black screen only happens when macOS tries to initialize the GPU which was later fixed with WhateverGreen, RadeonDeInit and macOS 10.13.4 with support for eGPUs.

This is a puzzle!

right ?

I am going crazy over this.

Actually i bought this VGA used. I wonder if it is not having the default bios on it

and that is causing it ?

Edited by Pink Waters

right ?

I am going crazy over this.

Actually i bought this VGA used. I wonder if it is not having the default bios on it

and that is causing it ?

There is a slight chance that the VBIOS might be changed. does it have a dual BIOS switch so you can switch it back to the original settings?

You can also perform a VBIOS update which is a risky procedure and can brick your GPU if you're not careful or if something goes wrong in the process.

Just to make sure: You don't try to boot into the macOS that was already installed are you? if so can you access the contents of the hdd and remove some files from it?

These are the folders and files that you can remove:

\Library\Caches

Users\User\Library\Chaches

\System\Library\Caches

\System\Library\PrelinkedKernels\ don't remove this folder just remove the contents which should be : immutavlekernel, immutablekernel.whatever and prelikiedkernel

By removing these files and folders macOS will create a new cache for the kext files that need to be loaded and it will create a new prelinkedkernel file as well.

4 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

There is a slight chance that the VBIOS might be changed. does it have a dual BIOS switch so you can switch it back to the original settings?

You can also perform a VBIOS update which is a risky procedure and can brick your GPU if you're not careful or if something goes wrong in the process.

Just to make sure: You don't try to boot into the macOS that was already installed are you? if so can you access the contents of the hdd and remove some files from it?

These are the folders and files that you can remove:

\Library\Caches

Users\User\Library\Chaches

\System\Library\Caches

\System\Library\PrelinkedKernels\ don't remove this folder just remove the contents which should be : immutavlekernel, immutablekernel.whatever and prelikiedkernel

By removing these files and folders macOS will create a new cache for the kext files that need to be loaded and it will create a new prelinkedkernel file as well.

sadly it doesn't have a dual bios switch :/

not to mention i don't even know where to get the default bios... asus website doesn't have it

i am not sure how to check if it has a bios update, probably it doesn't have.

and yes i was trying to boot the installer not the system.

and not sure if I need to delete these files, as the installer itself goes to black screen :/

This is what GPU-Z shows:

a.gif.3564beb431eaef458c656563f68ecedb.gif

sadly it doesn't have a dual bios switch :/

not to mention i don't even know where to get the default bios... asus website doesn't have it

i am not sure how to check if it has a bios update, probably it doesn't have.

and yes i was trying to boot the installer not the system.

and not sure if I need to delete these files, as the installer itself goes to black screen :/

You can download the latest VBIOS for your GPU from Techpowerup.com's VBIOS collection

is this your GPU?

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/182843/asus-r9380x-4096-151129

or

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=AMD&manufacturer=Asus&model=R9+380X&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

there are two GPUs that match yours check them out.

From what I see it's the same issue that I had few years ago with my AMD Radeon 7790, it was getting the black screen even on elcappitan because of the customized BIOS that it had, so I had to patch the framebuffer and create the connectors patch to get it to work properly.

It was pain in the neck and took me a while to figure it out. But the HDMI port always worked ok. I had two displays and it was working perfectly fine with one LED connected but when I was connecting the second display it wasn't working.

Just search AMD Framebuffer modification in insanelymac.com and you'll find the topic.

1 hour ago, Cyberdevs said:

You can download the latest VBIOS for your GPU from Techpowerup.com's VBIOS collection

is this your GPU?

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/182843/asus-r9380x-4096-151129

or

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=AMD&manufacturer=Asus&model=R9+380X&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

there are two GPUs that match yours check them out.

From what I see it's the same issue that I had few years ago with my AMD Radeon 7790, it was getting the black screen even on elcappitan because of the customized BIOS that it had, so I had to patch the framebuffer and create the connectors patch to get it to work properly.

It was pain in the neck and took me a while to figure it out. But the HDMI port always worked ok. I had two displays and it was working perfectly fine with one LED connected but when I was connecting the second display it wasn't working.

Just search AMD Framebuffer modification in insanelymac.com and you'll find the topic.

I managed to flash the card and the card is working fine, but still get black screen after boot :/

I should just give up on this...

Edit: I will check the framebuffer patching, even though it looks like it needs quite a study..

Edited by Pink Waters

Well sometimes things get complicated for no good reason. If you can try installing another version of macOS like El Capitan just to make sure that the card can perform ok under macOS which it should, that could be helpful. If you are up to the task!
Few weeks ago I was working on a PC and it was giving me hell and the macOS installer couldn’t even start. I did a BIOS update and after that I installed macOS with no problem.

You can also try something else. Let the macOS reach the point of the black screen and then unplug the cable from you GPU and the after few seconds replug it to the same port or the other one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Well sometimes things get complicated for no good reason. If you can try installing another version of macOS like El Capitan just to make sure that the card can perform ok under macOS which it should, that could be helpful. If you are up to the task!
Few weeks ago I was working on a PC and it was giving me hell and the macOS installer couldn’t even start. I did a BIOS update and after that I installed macOS with no problem.

You can also try something else. Let the macOS reach the point of the black screen and then unplug the cable from you GPU and the after few seconds replug it to the same port or the other one.

you mean, making a bootable USB installer of el capitan ? and see if the installer will boot ?, I can do that!

you mean i should reinstall the same version of my bios again? becasue mine is the latest version.

I tried replugging, doesn't work :/

14 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Yeah that’s what I meant. But honestly I’m just thinking out loud. It’s 4:40 AM and I’m running out of ideas!

well turned out there is a new update for the bios, did it, but nothing changed, same black screen...

well go get some sleep man :)

Is that the f11 BIOS version or a newer one?

f12c is a beta BIOS which revising are you using after the update?

It’s ok I can’t sleep right now I’m on a road trip

• 5 months later...