R9 380X and High sierra help

Pink Waters

71 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Pink Waters said:

I am going to update to 10.13.4 via virtualbox using physical hdd VM. and see if it will make a difference.

I strongly suggest that you download the 10.13.5 full installer if you can, make a new installer using the createinstallmedia by using the following command in the terminal. Install the latest clover in legacy mode and then replace the EFI folder with the one I gave you.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS update (if you don't know how to do it just ignore this statement, updating BIOS involves the risk of bricking your mainboard if anything goes wrong)

Erase the USB Disk with the following specs:

Name: Untitled

Format: Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

Partition Scheme: GUID

in terminal paste the following command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled  —nointeraction

Install clover (preferably the latest version) and then replace the fowling files and folders inside the /EFI/Clover/

1. config.plist

2. Kexts

You can add the DSDT and SSDT files if you have them to the ACPI folder, if you don't have them that's ok.

5 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

I strongly suggest that you download the 10.13.5 full installer if you can, make a new installer using the createinstallmedia by using the following command in the terminal. Install the latest clover in legacy mode and then replace the EFI folder with the one I gave you.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS update (if you don't know how to do it just ignore this statement, updating BIOS involves the risk of bricking your mainboard if anything goes wrong)

Erase the USB Disk with the following specs:

Name: Untitled

Format: Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

Partition Scheme: GUID

in terminal paste the following command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled  —nointeraction

Install clover (preferably the latest version) and then replace the fowling files and folders inside the /EFI/Clover/

1. config.plist

2. Kexts

You can add the DSDT and SSDT files if you have them to the ACPI folder, if you don't have them that's ok.

what is the difference between 10.13.4 (which i am on now) and 10.13.5 ?

19 minutes ago, Pink Waters said:

what is the difference between 10.13.4 (which i am on now) and 10.13.5 ?

I there are no particular differences but I just thought you might wanna use the latest installer with a clean installed macOS which has a better chance of working and easier to troubleshoot.

So now that you are on 10.13.4 is the problem resolved?

23 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

I there are no particular differences but I just thought you might wanna use the latest installer with a clean installed macOS which has a better chance of working and easier to troubleshoot.

So now that you are on 10.13.4 is the problem resolved?

no, still black screen :/

Ok, created a usb installer, added clover newest version then added your EFI folder... and the installer boots to black screen as well :(((((((((

I followed your instructions correctly. :/

Edited by Pink Waters

9 hours ago, Pink Waters said:

Ok, created a usb installer, added clover newest version then added your EFI folder... and the installer boots to black screen as well :(((((((((

I followed your instructions correctly. :/

Is the DVI cable a straight cable or there is an adapter in between?

Which was the last version of macOS you successfully installed? I have a very old PC (GA-EP45-DS3R) which boots into macOS Sierra OK but I never could get passed black screen on High Sierra no matter what I did I always sendup with the black screen, I'm suspecting the same issue on your rig.

The main reason for that was because the DSDT table for my mainboard is not addressing the PCIe ports the way High Sierra addresses them. (I think)

Have you tried my EFI folder with setting InjectATI=True to see if that makes any difference?

2 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Which was the last version of macOS you successfully installed? I have a very old PC (GA-EP45-DS3R) which boots into macOS Sierra OK but I never could get passed black screen on High Sierra no matter what I did I always sendup with the black screen, I'm suspecting the same issue on your rig.

The main reason for that was because the DSDT table for my mainboard is not addressing the PCIe ports the way High Sierra addresses them. (I think)

Have you tried my EFI folder with setting InjectATI=True to see if that makes any difference?

I was having the high sierra on AMD Radeon HD 5870 (previous card) running fine.. I am only getting black screen with this new card.. and sadly i don't have even the old card anymore. :/

It might be remove it and try again and if that did't work look at the config.plist under the graphics section and just add those settings to the latest working EFI folder's config.plist that you were able to boot into macOS.

12 minutes ago, Pink Waters said:

I am getting kernel panics with that folder.

maybe it is the dsdt ?

8 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

It might be remove it and try again and if that did't work look at the config.plist under the graphics section and just add those settings to the latest working EFI folder's config.plist that you were able to boot into macOS.

Ok, I give up... :(

now everything in verbose loads a little bit then reboots.

with every efi folder you sent me.

cannot boot the installer at all now.

:(

Edited by Pink Waters

1 minute ago, Pink Waters said:

Ok, I give up... :(

now everything in verbose loads a little bit then reboots.

with every efi folder you sent me.

cannot boot the installer at all now.

:(

Do you know which EFI folder got you to the point of the black screen?

Just now, Cyberdevs said:

Do you know which EFI folder got you to the point of the black screen?

I tried everything that even used to do that before...

I don't know what happened, even I recreated the usb installer from scratch again and same issue.

I suspected maybe dsdt messed with my bios, so i loaded optimized defaults, and set everything that should work with OS X, but clover hangs on:

/boot

and stays there...

I am totally upset.

Send me a picture of the verbose if you can so I can see where it stops to load and reboots.

I don't know what happened, even I recreated the usb installer from scratch again and same issue.

I suspected maybe dsdt messed with my bios, so i loaded optimized defaults, and set everything that should work with OS X, but clover hangs on:

/boot

and stays there...

I am totally upset.

The BIOS reset can be avoided with Apple RTC flag being checked under the Kernel and Kext Patches and you can also use the first EFI folder you sent me which was your original EFI folder.

I told you that you can remove the DSDT from the EFI folder if you suspect it's not working or causing the issues.

Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 7.36.05 PM.png

Just now, Cyberdevs said:

Send me a picture of the verbose if you can so I can see where it stops to load and reboots.

I think that would be impossible, because it loads untill something with ehchiusbport error or something (i will try to take a screenshot) then it starts loading verbose code so fast then reboots. the camera will never be able to capture that

5 minutes ago, Pink Waters said:

/boot

and stays there...

I am totally upset.

Sometimes it takes a while to load the clover completely, how long does it hang there? 

I think that would be impossible, because it loads untill something with ehchiusbport error or something (i will try to take a screenshot) then it starts loading verbose code so fast then reboots. the camera will never be able to capture that

This is the EFI folder you've sent me I just enabled the verbose mode and removed WhateverGreen and also added the matching info to your R9 380X GPU.

Original - EFI.zip

14 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Sometimes it takes a while to load the clover completely, how long does it hang there? 

This is the EFI folder you've sent me I just enabled the verbose mode and removed WhateverGreen and also added the matching info to your R9 380X GPU.

Original - EFI.zip

ok, I took some screenshots.

first picture: this is something i noticed that happens after i choose the disk in clover i want to load (didn't use to show up before)449728052_PhotoJun0351154PM.thumb.jpg.8bc398944b2bcaa38b5f7bfd2c84e2fb.jpg

second picture: is the USB error I told you about

378565700_PhotoJun0351230PM.thumb.jpg.33af02e4463ee7f6aa70191198310f57.jpg

third picture: this is exactly right before things go fast and reboots.

43431585_PhotoJun0351326PM.thumb.jpg.1834e97f5bbf50a31d6754cb3a02f64c.jpg

I will try the folder you gave me now and see how it goes.

2 minutes ago, Pink Waters said:

ok, I took some screenshots.

first picture: this is something i noticed that happens after i choose the disk in clover i want to load (didn't use to show up before)

second picture: is the USB error I told you about

third picture: this is exactly right before things go fast and reboots.

I will try the folder you gave me now and see how it goes.

Is that the point that it hangs or it reboots after?

Edited by Cyberdevs

22 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Which is it does it hang or it reboots?

reboots.

ok, my original efi folder worked ofcourse to blackscreen

although I have a bunch of I/O errors (relating to my other drives) in the verbose that made the booting takes like 20 min lol

IMG_0023.thumb.JPG.86c1fcb91d31136e888c2fa0cc915450.JPG

• Sad 1