Kernel Panic after Upgrading to High Sierra

5 posts in this topic

My Situation:
After updating to High Sierra 10.13.4 from Sierra, I keep running into a kernel panic on boot. I can still boot to macOS with safe boot, but no luck without the -x flag.

My limitations:
• I can't access my boot drive's EFI partition when in safe boot.
• What I can do is access my boot flash drive's EFI partition through my spare hackintosh.

What I've done/tried with no success:
• Updated to the latest nVidia web driver (the one for 10.13.4).
• Updated Lilu.kext.
• Booting with webdrivers and then with VESA drivers, made no difference.
• Booted with iGFX, get a black screen after BIOS, can't get into clover.

Kernel Panic Details:
The kernel panic scrolls by at light speed. I was able to record it in slow motion with my iPhone, and enhance it with Premiere, although it's still a bit blurry.

https://youtu.be/tfpZDcHS1XQ

A million thanks to anyone willing to help! Let me know if you need any other details.

-----------------------------------
             SPECS             
-----------------------------------
Processor:        i7 6700k
Motherboard:  ASUS Z170-Pro
GPU:                 ASUS GTX 1080Ti

Edited by Tarynasaurus

Try to remove all kexts and keep only the basic Fakesmc and your ethernet kext (both latest) and also basic config.plist then see what happens, try the best SMBIOS for your system which I think is iMac 14,2 if it doesn't work then switch to 14,1 or anything else.

If thats the nVidia Webdriver problem as I assume then I have no idea because last nVidia card I used in my Hacki was 980ti two years ago, back then I would boot with nv_disable=1 bootflag to see if the driver is causing the issue (I don't know if this flag still works now), if that is the problem then this link might be useful for you https://hackintosher.com/guides/properly-install-nvidia-drivers-high-sierra-10-13/

On 5/24/2018 at 6:08 AM, RandomTech said:

Try to remove all kexts and keep only the basic Fakesmc and your ethernet kext (both latest) and also basic config.plist then see what happens, try the best SMBIOS for your system which I think is iMac 14,2 if it doesn't work then switch to 14,1 or anything else.

If thats the nVidia Webdriver problem as I assume then I have no idea because last nVidia card I used in my Hacki was 980ti two years ago, back then I would boot with nv_disable=1 bootflag to see if the driver is causing the issue (I don't know if this flag still works now), if that is the problem then this link might be useful for you https://hackintosher.com/guides/properly-install-nvidia-drivers-high-sierra-10-13/

That was some great advice! After some tinkering around I found out that I had an outdated Lilu.kext, only it wasn't where I expected it to be. It was in /Library/Extensions and not in my EFI folder! Boots up without a problem now. Thanks a million, that really helped, i'm so happy right now :D

Edited by Clayf700
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Clayf700 said:

That was some great advice! After some tinkering around I found out that I had an outdated Lilu.kext, only it wasn't where I expected it to be. It was in /Library/Extensions and not in my EFI folder! Boots up without a problem now. Thanks a million, that really helped, i'm so happy right now :D

That sounds great :thumbsup_anim:

Welcome and enjoy