PLEASE HELP - 12+ hours and the Boot USB doesn't boot

TheXpert

26 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I've been spending my past 3 days trying to get this to work, (12+ hours in total) and I cannot get my USB HighSierra installation to boot up.

System:
CPU: Intel 8700K
MB: Asus Maximus X Hero
GPU: AMD Radeon 580 8GB - NOT being used during installation 

Tutorials used:

And a few others, but these were the most similar ones to my build. 

My Issue:
Clover shows up - I can see "Install from macOS High Sierra drive". I install it but it never gets to the OS X installation screen. I've tried multiple EFI's from people with a similar setup, watched 5+ in-depth tutorials and I still cannot get OS X installtation screen to show up. 

Every-time, my system gets to: "Attempting System Restart", it reboots but it never goes into the OS X installation screen. 

I've attached my EFI for any hackintosh geniuses that might figure out what I'm doing wrong :/ + 3 screenshots with verbose enabled, so that you can see what might be causing this.  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QaTqDj9nK76nek_BBNP4btYIh1Z7iLze?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot,
Daniel 
Edited by TheXpert

3 minutes ago, TheXpert said:
Hi, 

I've been spending my past 3 days trying to get this to work, (12+ hours in total) and I cannot get my USB HighSierra installation to boot up.

System:
CPU: Intel 8700K
MB: Asus Maximus X Hero
GPU: AMD Radeon 580 8GB - NOT being used during installation 

Tutorials used:

And a few others, but these were the most similar ones to my build. 

My Issue:
Clover shows up - I can see "Install from macOS High Sierra drive". I install it but it never gets to the OS X installation screen. I've tried multiple EFI's from people with a similar setup, watched 5+ in-depth tutorials and I still cannot get OS X installtation screen to show up. 

Every-time, my system gets to: "Attempting System Restart", it reboots but it never goes into the OS X installation screen. 

I've attached my EFI for any hackintosh geniuses that might figure out what I'm doing wrong :/ + 3 screenshots with verbose enabled, so that you can see what might be causing this. *Tried attaching the EFI but didn't work :/ Suggestions on how to attach those? 

Thanks a lot,
Daniel 

Hi there and welcome to InsanelyMac.com :)

You can use a 3rd party file sharing app to upload the EFI folder and post the link here, InsanelyMac.com is facing some issues at the moment so the file upload is not working properly so use DropBox or GoogleDrive or any other file sharing services that you like to upload the files.

Cheers.

Hi Cyberdevs,

Thanks for the EFI!

Unfortunately it still doesn't work. I've attached a video recording to the Drive link (from the initial post), on how the system behaves. Hopefully that helps - you can pause it and slow it down right before the boot towards the end, you might be able to figure out what's happening, based on that. 

It still restarts and doesn't boot into the OS X Installer. My BIOS settings are just as in the 2 tutorials that I've found - don't think my BIOS is causing this. 

Thanks,

Daniel

5 hours ago, TheXpert said:

Hi Cyberdevs,

Thanks for the EFI!

Unfortunately it still doesn't work. I've attached a video recording to the Drive link (from the initial post), on how the system behaves. Hopefully that helps - you can pause it and slow it down right before the boot towards the end, you might be able to figure out what's happening, based on that. 

It still restarts and doesn't boot into the OS X Installer. My BIOS settings are just as in the 2 tutorials that I've found - don't think my BIOS is causing this. 

Thanks,

Daniel

Try this config.plist

Replace the old one with the new one.

Which version of the macOS High Sierra you are trying to install? 10.13.4? 

config.plist.zip

Thanks Cyber,

Tried it - same result. And yes, I am trying to install 10.13.4. Actually - I've downloaded the latest macOS installer, from my MacBook Pro's App Store - so I'm guessing that it would be 10.13.4 (cannot really see the version on it). 

The error that I seem to be stuck at is the BootCache Playlist Error - "BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 no such file or directory".

I've updated my EFI in the meantime, (and I was testing everything with my GPU (AMD Radeon 580 8GB). Same result. Tried different USB ports (2.0, 3.0), same result. Tried multiple Clover Bootloader configurations and same result. Tried removing the RAM modules from the B1 & B2 slots, as some users recommanded, and (you guessed it) - same results :) 

My guess is that it's got something to do with the Clover Bootloader and the way my USB is formatted in. I've attached 3 more images with the Clover Bootloader options that I've been using. Maybe that helps.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QaTqDj9nK76nek_BBNP4btYIh1Z7iLze

Thanks,

Daniel 

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 13.43.33.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 13.43.14.png

This is my current EFI folder which I use on my rig, I added some extra kexts that you might need for your system and changed the SMBIOS to match your system, try that and let me know. I have a NVMe disk as my startup disk for macOS and I hope this folder resolves the issue.

Do you have the latest BIOS for you mainboard? 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0gslpsoqinij3h/TheXpert - EFI v5.zip?dl=0

Thanks a lot Cyber,

I've tried using that - I also have an NVMe drive (Samsung Evo 960 500GB) as well as an SSD (Samsung 750 Evo 120GB), but unfrotunately I'm still getting the same BootCache Playlist error. 

And yes, I do have the latest BIOS update. 

I've attached 2 more images here, with the error. It stays for a few seconds at "unable to open BootCache..." and then it quickly reboots but then it goes back into the installer right from the beginning. 

I've created the installer using terminal (also tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and DiskMaker). 
This is the terminal command that I've used: 

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

IMG_0095.thumb.jpg.862f1ad330346e37ca74d078222d788b.jpgIMG_0096.thumb.jpg.62ac621b783cc05c07002c8086a718f3.jpg

58 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

I have an EFI folder for a Z270 chipset series. Let me see if I can find it and upload it to test once more.

Hi Cyber,

Thanks again for sending these over! 

Tried everything and same result :/ (updated bios so that it matches yours - even-though mine is a Z370). Still getting the Unable to Open BootCatche.playlist - and then some more errors occur and the system reboots and goes back into the installer :/ 

I'm trying to boot off of an SD card now - probably will be getting the same. Really not sure what's causing this to be honest. :/ 

Yeah that's weird!

I just booted into macOS High Sierra Installer and even though my system is a Z170X series it was successful. I think there must be a issue related to your BIOS/UEFI settings.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I might need to use some different Clover Bootloader settings. I've used the ones in the 2 images that I've attached, which should've worked perfectly with my Z370, but didn't :/ 

Well the clover's options are really more simple than the settings for the config.plist.

Either you need to revise the BIOS settings or there is another hardware that might cause the error. What are your full hardware specs?

Have tried loading bios optimized settings and then make the necessary changes?

Yup. In the end Clover's creating the EFI folder, so changing the folder entirely, or even the config file, should fix it, but that didn't work. 

Tried everything in terms of the BIOS settings. Also tried the optimized settings. 

In terms of the full hardware specs (the RAM might be the ones causing the issue, or my H100i water cooler>? maybe the RAM):

I removed the GPU (I've put in back recently, for my 2nd attempt with the 580), my Thunderbolt card, my WiFi card, during installation, so the only components remaining are:

CPU - Intel i7 8700K

MB - Asus Maximus X Hero 

Cooler - Corsair H100i V2 

RAM - 4x 8G Corsair Vengence DDR4 3000MHz C15 XMP 2.0 - I've removed the 2 8GB RAM modules from the B1 and B2 slots, as some users have advised. So only the A1 and A2 slots are being used

PSU - Corsair RM650i 

GPU - Asus ROG Strix RX580 8GB (tried all the tests, multiple EFI's with and without the dGPU, with optimized settings for the dGPU and iGPU) 

Monitor - LG 4K somemodel - tried everything with both the displayport cable & HDMI 

- BenQ 1080p monitor - tried everything via HDMI 

Still getting the BootCache error - also tried installing everything on an SD Card via USB type C - same result :/ 

Tried creating the USB drive via terminal (the diskutility erase and format part) using: 

sudo diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2  GPT JHFS+ USB  R

It should be GPT JHFS+ partitioned, unless it's supposed to be AFPS as of recently? 

Edited by TheXpert

Well if you can create a new installer that might help. create the USB disk from the scratch and then transfer the EFI folder from this post

You can use your RX 580 to boot into the installer with no issue. The memory modules shouldn't cause the problem, ThunderBolt card might cause issues. 

I've made some changes to the APCI in config. FixHeaders and FixShutdown checked (as I've found on some other people's posts). 

Still not working - but maybe the ACPI or Boot menus in the Config file are where changes need to be made? Not sure.

In terms of disk creation, this is how I've done mine:

Formatting the disk:

- Tried UniB

- Tried DiskUtility

- Tried Terminal using 

sudo diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2  GPT JHFS+ USB  R

Unless I got the GPT JFHS wrong and this needs to be APFS or something else, not sure what's wrong here.

Making the disk bootable:

- Tried UniB

- Tried Diskmaker

- Tried Terminal using:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

as well as 

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app  --volume /Volumes/USB/

Also tried an SD card like I've said. So the USB drive itself isn't the issue. 

Edited by TheXpert

Use disk utility to erase the disk like the picture

and use the following command in terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app —nointeraction

don't use any 3rd party app specially the one from tony's site. we do not support those tools and here's why

Once the installer is done mount the EFI partition on the USB disk with clover configurator and simply copy the EFI folder to the roof of the EFI partition on the USB disk.

and then boot the system from USB disk.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sccr6pmz1nqj3eh/Z370.zip?dl=0

Right - I've tried exactly like you said. I've also tried installing this off of my iMac (so that the USB drive is directly connected to the Mac, rather than using a 3rd party USB C adapter, as I was doing it on my MBP) - same results unfortunately :/ 

I've added a new video file to the drive link - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gbrCLDZgd9umwtQOPhjnUprmL-WZOlnu

2 min video file, 4K 60fps, the system reboots over and over again - always giving me that BootCache error. I think that's the one causing this as it's the first error, followed by a bunch of other ones. 

Really don't know what else to try at this point.