Upgrading Z87X-UD7-TH with i7-4770k with Thunderbolt, Need suggestions i7-8700 or i7-7820x?

14 posts in this topic

Okay guys,  

I need recommendations on upgrading my Hackintosh. Current specs are as follow: 

MB: Z87X-UD7-TH

CPU: i7-4770k

GPU: AMD R9 280x

RAM: CORSAIR 32GB 1600mhz

PSU: CORSAIR HX 650

As of right now I have Sierra installed but having a lot of issues my system not running stable. The whole point of this build is for music and video production. With current specs I can't seem to get this to work as I should. I get really bad graphic lags when watching my goPro videos. They are not even watchable. I know the GPU should be able to handle it but It seems my system is missing something. I ran Geekbench and my performance was horrible. I will attach them here but with my current specs should I be getting higher than 3,772 on multi core and 1,116 on single?  Seems really low for me. The GPU got higher scores than my CPU. 

Anyways if anyone has solutions for this it would be gladly appreciated but since I can't seem to get this to work and most of my hardware is outdated anyways I want to upgrade. Now I'm tossing between i7-8700k or i7-7820x. I will need a new mother board and both MB for these CPUs offer thunderbolt capabilities with TB card which I need for my audio interface. Which one will work best for my needs and will my PSU and GPU work out of box with these? 

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 3.37.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 3.44.49 PM.png

There's something really wrong with your system, we basically have the same setup (except i'm running nvidia 980ti) your cpu score are way too low, look at mine for the same CPU. With a little overlock our CPU should be able to bench scores of 18,500.

5ad553ae592b0_ScreenShot2018-04-16at9_52_14PM.thumb.jpg.9dbc57ae4d36d8b8060559a69e21af59.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alaman64 said:

There's something really wrong with your system, we basically have the same setup (except i'm running nvidia 980ti) your cpu score are way too low, look at mine for the same CPU. With a little overlock our CPU should be able to bench scores of 18,500.

5ad553ae592b0_ScreenShot2018-04-16at9_52_14PM.thumb.jpg.9dbc57ae4d36d8b8060559a69e21af59.jpg

Yeah I figured there's something wrong but can't figure out what it is. I haven't changed much in the bios other than the typical things to get OS X installed and running. Do you know what might be causing my scores to be so low? 

9 hours ago, MaLd0n said:

Thanks for the link, not sure exactly what I'm looking for here. I might reinstall sierra in a few days using this guide to see if it helps. 

Yeah I searched in S/L/E folder and didn't see there and it's not in my clover kexts folder either. I just got done reading that some ppl have issues removing it and had to reinstall OS X for it not to load anymore. They mentioned that after removing the kext and deleting it, it would still load the kext so they had to do a fresh install. Going to give that a shot and see if it removes it and will report back. 

On 4/17/2018 at 6:31 PM, Allan said:

Nah don't care about this "experts" guys. This kext will decrease your CPU power management.

Send me your entire CLOVER folder, I'll take a look. =D

Hey Allan,

sorry for late response, been working on putting new flooring in my house. Finally got around to my hackintosh again and reinstalled Sierra. Here is my new log with the runme app. 

I did not install the NullCPUpowerManagement kext, I still get choppy video playback. Any idea why? Also seemed that didn't solved my issue. I did another Geekbench with really low scores again.  

I will also include my clover folder to see if I'm missing something. Thanks for all the help man.  

Send me AMPSs-iMac.zip

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 8.11.04 AM.png

CLOVER