[HOWTO] - Update Mac OS X 10.4.4 or higher to Mac OS X 10.4.8 with Mifki kernel & 10.4.9, (Dell, HP etc. Laptops - GMA950/945 & other GFX cards!)

mac.nub

73 posts in this topic

Updating from 10.4.4, 10.4.5 or 10.4.6 to 10.4.8

Step 1) Download this file, it contains all the files you'll need to get it working :(

Step 2) Extract the zip file to your DESKTOP.

Step 3) Download the official Mac 10.4.8 Intel Update from Apple available here Note: This is different to the one on the first post.

Step 4) Run the installer, DO NOT REBOOT when prompted.

Step 5) Open the Terminal (Go > Utilities > Terminal) Type the following:

cd desktop
sudo cp -R mach_kernel/mach_kernel /mach_kernel
sudo cp -R mach_kernel/AppleSMBios.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo cp -R mach_kernel/IOATAFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions

Step 6) Download the old login window, delete the old one, replace it with this one.

Step 6) Install the Titan kext (if you haven't already!).

Step 7) Open Disk Utility (Go > Utilities > Disk Utility), select the Mac OS X partition, click the Repair Disk Permissions button, when it is completed reboot your computer.

Polite notice: So that you do not have a choppy OS X Experience, please make sure to use the cpus=1 bootflag, or to edit your com.apple.Boot.plist (sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist in Terminal) to reflect the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Hello, i have a Dell Latitude D620 Intel Centrino Core Duo, with Chipset Intel i945GM/PM, Video Card Mobile Intel® 945GM, i have installed the DVD 10.4.6 Goatsecx, and them i have made pass to pass you guide.....

but now when i reboot, i have kernel panic......

What can i do ?

THANKS

Bye

post-63828-1166789119_thumb.jpg

hmm you guys may try my 1048 combo update package,

it contains 4 kernel dev (Mifi NX, Mifki NO NX, DaemonES and the legend Semthex)

it has 1048 common issue fixed and optional drivers,

just follow the link in my signature.

you should find the file within the topic starter sig

and you're done

have fun :)

hi guys! any one can help me? i followed the stepd for upgrading from 10.4.5 but my pc got stucked after making the terminal code step!! so my only option left was rebooting so i did it, i start in boot with -F kernel_match -v and it keeps booting forever, my theory is that i have the loginwindow.app error because i didnt replace it, so my question is how can i modify that file?? i cant boot so i dont know how to change it...

thx!!

Thanks very much :)

mac.nub your procedure woks perfectly.

All works in my HP Pavillion zd 8000 (LAN, Mouse, touch pad, Wireless, Sound, DVD R+RW, USB, Bluetooth, display)

Display resolution is fixed with: Callisto_b003fixed & koverg-patch9700-v0.2

As suggested, you have to re-install the Titan kext - I updated the tutorial to make this clearer!

Hi Guys,

with me the Tutorials neither function 10.4.7 on 10.4.8 or 10.4.6 on 10.4.8 not.

Although I had so worked on everything as described.

If graphic arts mistakes are to be seen with me always when I shift the windows.

Photo1

Photo2

My PC hardware is E6600 GeForce 7900 Intel 945.

Requests help me.

To me, it looks like you did something wrong, my only advice would be to try again, making sure you follow the correct guide (the second one) exactly!

Hello, i have a Dell Latitude D620 Intel Centrino Core Duo, with Chipset Intel i945GM/PM, Video Card Mobile Intel® 945GM, i have installed the DVD 10.4.6 Goatsecx, and them i have made pass to pass you guide.....

but now when i reboot, i have kernel panic......

What can i do ?

THANKS

Bye

That's a very useful patch btw - I've always wanted the battery indicator to be displayed, and it never was... however there was a fix for that in it! - I tried for ages to fix that problem! (The file is now on my external 250GB HD :P)

hmm you guys may try my 1048 combo update package,

it contains 4 kernel dev (Mifi NX, Mifki NO NX, DaemonES and the legend Semthex)

it has 1048 common issue fixed and optional drivers,

just follow the link in my signature.

you should find the file within the topic starter sig

and you're done

have fun :ihw_pop:

I'm afraid it sounds to me like a fresh re-install is the only option for you.

hi guys! any one can help me? i followed the stepd for upgrading from 10.4.5 but my pc got stucked after making the terminal code step!! so my only option left was rebooting so i did it, i start in boot with -F kernel_match -v and it keeps booting forever, my theory is that i have the loginwindow.app error because i didnt replace it, so my question is how can i modify that file?? i cant boot so i dont know how to change it...

thx!!

Still doesn't work on my Dell Inspiron 6400 even with the latest Semthex kernel... however it may work on some laptops! It's worth using the cpus=2 boot option to see if it works for you in any case!

hey eGWAN, thanks for the useful link. any news about getting dual core to work yet?

thanks!!!

No problem! Glad it works for you :D

Thanks very much :dance_24:

mac.nub your procedure woks perfectly.

All works in my HP Pavillion zd 8000 (LAN, Mouse, touch pad, Wireless, Sound, DVD R+RW, USB, Bluetooth, display)

Display resolution is fixed with: Callisto_b003fixed & koverg-patch9700-v0.2

Edited by mac.nub

hey eGWAN, thanks for the useful link. any news about getting dual core to work yet?

thanks!!!

nope,

dual core should work,

I'm afraid it sounds to me like a fresh re-install is the only option for you.

excuse me

Hi. can anyone help me to update my old 10.4.3 JAS patched ..plz pm me..

thanks a lot

gokul.

you can't update to 1048 from 1043,

you need at least a working 1044 installation to update

Hello to all and a Happy New Year!!!

I wish you all better days with the OS X ! Anyway, to make long things short, i have tried the 6 step procedure with some success, that is, i got me a working 10.4.8 with 8.8.1 kernel using your instructions, but, other than the "About This Mac" problem, i lost support for CI and QE..:)

My chip is the Intel 915, and i used the extra instructions which you mentioned for Intel GMAs.

By the way, the second command line should read 915.kext instead of 195.kext, otherwise you get a "file or directory not found " message. Any idea as to how i get back full graphics support?

Mobo is the ASROCK 775 dual.

Thanks once again.

• 2 weeks later...

salax,

I'm having a similar issue with the graphics, the upgrade to 10.4.8 from 10.4.5 worked perfectly, big thankU to all those involved. mac.nub eGWan....

My problem is I now only have one avilable resolution 1024x768, millions so I have lost QE and CI support as well.

Mobo is Intel D915GAGL with P4 2.6Ghz

Anything i missed? :tomato:

thanks,

aykiw

Hello! Successfully updated to the 10.4.8 combo update from 10.4.6 using simthex kernel! Only one problem

My Usb audio worked before and now it semi works, comes out all choppy sounding. I tried reinstalling the USB Soundblaster package from the dvd again and it just cut off all my usb devices and made it so I had no sound!!

Any ideas on what I could do to get the USB AUDIO working again?

EDIT: nevermind, I updated to Simthex's newest Kernel and it works like a charm except no core duo :( on a dell e1705 t2500 2.0

Edited by kevinosx

Updating from 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 - For older versions, see instructions further down.

Step 1) Download this file, it contains all the files you'll need to get it working! :thumbsdown_anim:

Step 2) Extract the zip file to your DESKTOP.

Step 3) Download the official Mac 10.4.8 Intel Update from Apple available here.

Step 4) Run the installer, DO NOT REBOOT when prompted.

Step 5) Open the Terminal (Go > Utilities > Terminal) Type the following:

cd desktop
sudo cp -R mach_kernel/mach_kernel /mach_kernel
sudo cp -R mach_kernel/AppleSMBios.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo cp -R mach_kernel/IOATAFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions

IMPORTANT - Use these commands ONLY if you have an Intel GMA950/945 etc. card!
sudo cp -R mach_kernel/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel195.kext

IMPORTANT - If using an nVidia card, make sure to re-install the Titan kext!

IMPORTANT for HP Pavillion zd 8000 (and possibly other HP's) use the Callisto_b003fixed & koverg-patch9700-v0.2 patches to fix the display resolution

Step 6) Open Disk Utility (Go > Utilities > Disk Utility), select the Mac OS X partition, click the Repair Disk Permissions button, when it is completed reboot your computer.

Note: When you reboot it will seem to be taking a while to boot into Mac, do not worry, this is normal, after a few minutes Mac will automatically reboot again (total of 2 reboots during install), after the reboot Mac will load normally, and be working fine.

Congratulations. You now have working Mac OS X 10.4.8 /w Mifki 8.8.1 Kernel!

Thanks to: Semthex (Kernel), Paulicat (SMBios) :pirate2:

See screenshots at bottom of post!

Polite notice: So that you do not have a choppy OS X Experience, please make sure to use the cpus=1 bootflag, or to edit your com.apple.Boot.plist (sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist in Terminal) to reflect the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Ok now i have 10.4.7 and when i try to download th first file i get a page can not be found. any help

Hi. can anyone help me to update my old 10.4.3 JAS patched ..plz pm me..

thanks a lot

gokul.

Im running 10.4.3 right now and im DL-ing the 10.4.8 iso i ahve the 10.4.6 iso currently... my question is is there any ways to update 10.4.3 to 10.4.4 or higher then to 10.4.8?

im having a lot of success with 10.4.3 since i started using it and i have alot of files i have no clue what all i actually have... so i dont want to risk losing something i dont know about or risk having to DL a TON more torrents... ive gone through 60 gigs of torrent DL's on this OS... so i dont want to have to re download alot of it.... i install waht i need and then clear up my hard drive.....