sse2/sse3 what am i missing here? A question to jas/semtex

wow

8 posts in this topic

If i read good the last 2 weeks then the are only 10.4.8 versions floating for sse3 compatible cpu's, ok then we wait for a sse2 patch to ppf or upgrade those sse3 dvds iso, no problem. Or we have to dload 4.5gb again now with sse2, not funny but also no problem.

On this moment there are no sse2 versions/patches for sse2, as far as i understand.

But what i dont get, is there seems to float a jas 10.4.7 iso (intel/amd) that works on sse2 cpu's.

Why dont they cut and paste that sse2 part out of the 10.4.7 kernal into the 10.4.8 kernal ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ?

I really dont get it..

The old kernel used an emulator to perform SSE2 instructions on a kernel built for SSE3.

The new kernel structure has changed so much that the old emulator will no longer work. A new emulator has to be written from scratch. That takes time and effort, but Semthex and others are working in it.

The bottom line is that even the old kernel really didn't work with SSE2. It was forced to do so by creating an emulator. Apple doesn't sell any SSE2 computers, so they don't write anything to support SSE2. The latest iTunes and Quicktime have major problems working on SSE2 even under the old kernel. Everyone should try to move to SSE3 to be compatible for the future.

If i read good the last 2 weeks then the are only 10.4.8 versions floating for sse3 compatible cpu's, ok then we wait for a sse2 patch to ppf or upgrade those sse3 dvds iso, no problem. Or we have to dload 4.5gb again now with sse2, not funny but also no problem.

On this moment there are no sse2 versions/patches for sse2, as far as i understand.

But what i dont get, is there seems to float a jas 10.4.7 iso (intel/amd) that works on sse2 cpu's.

Why dont they cut and paste that sse2 part out of the 10.4.7 kernal into the 10.4.8 kernal ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ?

I really dont get it..

Well it is a lot more technical then that,If it could be ... lol ... cut and pasted.it would be done already,so I will say it like this.... it is being worked on.

Ok thanks you both for explaining.

I hope i wasnt rude, i wasnt ment that way.

I guessed the ctrl+c and ctrl+v would be more difficult then i told, LOL, but i couldnt find out why and that bugged me.

thanks for aswering

Everyone should try to move to SSE3 to be compatible for the future.
True but that isnt always so easy, today i checked some hardware stores to see what is possible. My p4-3ghz is only sse2. I cant replace it because my mobo doesnt support newer cpu's.

Then i have to replace also my mobo, my graphicscard, my memory. That will happen someday but i am not gone buy a new computer today only to run OSX, then i could be better buy a Apple minimac instead :(

Thats why some of us depends on a magic sse2 patch. But we dont complain, we are happy if one ever appears. :(

True but that isnt always so easy, today i checked some hardware stores to see what is possible. My p4-3ghz is only sse2. I cant replace it because my mobo doesnt support newer cpu's.

Then i have to replace also my mobo, my graphicscard, my memory.

What about the ASRock Conroe865PE ?

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...hreadid=1906682

Takes DDR memory and AGP video cards, while supporting socket 775 Intel CPU's, (including Core2 Duo).

I know it's great to run the latest and greatest, (that's what I seem to be driven to do) but that 10.4.7 DVD is the latest compatible with your system, I'd say install that. You'll have a great system, and it should do you quite well. You can actually upgrade to 10.4.8 (without a kernel update, Jas 10.4.8 SSE2 Intel Combo update) and most things should run for you, with the exception of iTunes 7.

I know it's great to run the latest and greatest, (that's what I seem to be driven to do) but that 10.4.7 DVD is the latest compatible with your system, I'd say install that. You'll have a great system, and it should do you quite well. You can actually upgrade to 10.4.8 (without a kernel update, Jas 10.4.8 SSE2 Intel Combo update) and most things should run for you, with the exception of iTunes 7.

Thansk i did just that and it worked in one time. 10.4.7 + sse2 intel combo update + macvideo drivers, only no Core and QE.

TIP for everyone: believe me i tried everything (empty disc, empty partition, fat32, ntfs) but things goes much eassier, if you make a hps partition with transmac (free first 30 days) under xp, because else it sees nothing to install on, ntfs, fat32 it doesnt see those.

But i have two questions:

1. I cant boot from the harddisk, it halts after a few seconds and ask me to put in the os. So I have to boot from the dvd and then it boots quickly in the installed OSX.

Why is that? How do i boot from my (single, 1 partition, pata) hardisk

2. It sees my nec 3520 as a dvd burner, but how do i burn a dvd??? I would liek to put some mpg files on dvd. Do i need to find something like nero?