Guide: Asus Prime Z370-A + i7 8700k + Nvidia GTX 1060

chriz74

24 posts in this topic

In the next days I will update this as I found some other stuff regarding quickSync, native nvram and audio.

Since I have this new rig I want to share what I found out regarding installation of High Sierra.

I will not explain how to make a bootable USB as everyone knows how an you can find it online everywhere.

I will focus only on what is really needed to run High Sierra on this machine.

I am using the latest 0606 bios.

1) in bios load setup defaults, disable fastboot and secure boot if they are not disabled after loading the defaults;

2) in bios disable CSM for correct resolution in clover boot loader (eg. 1920x1080);

3) you should have installed clover in your usb, we only need these kexts in "other" directory:

- AppleALC.kext

- CodecCommander.kext

- FakeSMC.kext

- IntelMausiEthernet.kext

- Lilu.kext

- USBInjectAll.kext

- XHCI-200-series-injector.kext

4) there is no need for a patched DSDT or SSDT. Check these settings in Clover:

post-76108-0-50956200-1512129056_thumb.png

post-76108-0-17304900-1512129074_thumb.png

post-76108-0-29659400-1512129120_thumb.png

post-76108-0-96746600-1512129157_thumb.png

post-76108-0-30863500-1512129194_thumb.png

post-76108-0-13393100-1512130011_thumb.png

post-76108-0-82612100-1512129335_thumb.png

post-76108-0-36682100-1518096458_thumb.png

post-76108-0-84541600-1518096478_thumb.png

USE SMBIOS iMac 18,3. 

That's it, while installing remove nvda_drv=1 and set nv_disable=1 then after you install the Nvidia Web Drivers put back nvda_drv=1 and remove nv_disable=1

The CPU will show as unknown but it will work with native power management and all cores (the bios defaults disables the MSR CFG Lock).

If you are using more than one memory bank set the ram data manually in clover like for example this:

post-76108-0-31316100-1512129580_thumb.png

If you are using SSD enable trim from terminal with the command "sudo trimforce enable".

What I didn't bother with here is the HDMI audio of Nvidia. If you find something else that I may have left out let me know. So far everything is working.

p.s. obviously you need to then install clover in the SSD / HDD and copy the kexts and the config.plist from your usb.

If the pc boots to black screen try connecting the monitor to another HDMI port on the GFX card or to the DVI port. It's a problem of port mapping.

I didn't try to install on NVME but I guess it's not a problem since the system recognizes my 960 evo natively.

Edited by chriz74
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Could you explain briefly, why there is no need for a patched DSDT or SSDT, please?

Audio via HDMI and Thunderbolt works for me. And you guessed right: NVMe has no problems if you installed OSX to any other SSD/HDD first and cloned the system to the NVMe afterwards.

Could you explain briefly, why there is no need for a patched DSDT or SSDT, please?

Audio via HDMI and Thunderbolt works for me. And you guessed right: NVMe has no problems if you installed OSX to any other SSD/HDD first and cloned the system to the NVMe afterwards.

Because all the hardware is working out of the box with those configs in clover.

Because all the hardware is working out of the box with those configs in clover.

Yes, for the initial installation it's true. But for the USB Fix one would need a SSDT, right?

Currently I'm reading through this USB Fix stuff and am rather confused because this topic is not an easy task...

Yes, for the initial installation it's true. But for the USB Fix one would need a SSDT, right?

Currently I'm reading through this USB Fix stuff and am rather confused because this topic is not an easy task...

Hmm no you can use usbinjectall and make your injector. However I didn't do anything and USB is working.

• Like 1

Ports fix Is required for potential ports conflicts and bugs with sleep, restart and shutdown.

Continuing to use the port limit patch can cause problems as it causes access outside a fixed array bounds. 

Access outside a fixed array bound can result in other memory locations being overwritten, those other memory locations will contain data that you don't won't overwritten!. So the port limit patch is not recommended for long term use. Ports limit patch is good for macOS USB installer purpose. Ports limit patch is disabled in my POST INSTALL EFI folder...

Excerpt from: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/330677-successguide-glasgoods-high-sierra-coffeelake-asus-strix-z370-g-i7-8700-gtx1080ti-uhd/page-1?hl=+z370

Yes, USB is working with with the USBinjectall.kext. But it is advised to configure all USB ports properly. Rehabman has written a very detailed post about the procedure here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

I'm asking, if someone has done this for the ASUS Prime Z370-A before me, as I don't understand every detail and I'm struggling to figure everything out...

Excerpt from: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/330677-successguide-glasgoods-high-sierra-coffeelake-asus-strix-z370-g-i7-8700-gtx1080ti-uhd/page-1?hl=+z370

Yes, USB is working with with the USBinjectall.kext. But it is advised to configure all USB ports properly. Rehabman has written a very detailed post about the procedure here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

I'm asking, if someone has done this for the ASUS Prime Z370-A before me, as I don't understand every detail and I'm struggling to figure everything out...

hmm as you can see I am using USBInjectAll.kext and XHCI-200-series-injector.kext and I think they are just working. I will check USB functionality of all ports later and report back.

From what I can gather the system is using the XHC device. I plugged both usb 2 and usb 3 devices in all back ports, plus some case ports which are connected to internal headers. These were the ports used:

post-76108-0-73101100-1517484971_thumb.png

the USB 2.0 device is always showing like 0 1 2 and the USB 3 like 0 1 on every port I tried.

While connecting an usb 3 device and an usb 2 device to the usb 3.1 (blue port) on the back used this:

post-76108-0-15669200-1517485320.png

Also these are the ports shown by usbview.exe under windows, I think we can create a custom injector for usbinjectall with this info.

post-76108-0-37638800-1517486211_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I checked my external ports too, with a USB3 Hub and I almost figured out all the ports I do need and which to get rid off and disable. But gathering information on specialities is pretty tedious. I still don't know what about the USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports on the back panel. Do they count 2 or 3 ports each!? I can further test these tonight.

I also wonder, if my Thunderbolt Expansion PCI uses USB ports on XHC, since the protocol is very similar to USB 3.1 Gen 2...!? Further investigations on my behalf.

Now I have compiled a custom SSDT to get rid of the 15 port limit patch. I figured out 18 ports to be active on the motherboard, but I'm not really sure about HS07 and HS08. But I haven't had any glitches so far ignoring them. For those, who want to tackle a custom SSDT I'll provide the list of all the ports for compiling a SSDT themself. I ended up including 12 active ports for me, which fit easily into the 15 port limit. The two USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports on the back plate are not affected by the SSDT, by the way. They work and seem to count besides the XHC controller.

This is what I figured out for all the possible 26 ports:

HS01: USB2 on port #1 from 1st USB3 motherboard header, port, <01 00 00 00>
HS02: USB2 on port #2 from 1st USB3 motherboard header, port, <02 00 00 00>
HS03: USB2 on port #1 from 2nd USB3 motherboard header, port <03 00 00 00>
HS04: USB2 on port #2 from 2nd USB3 motherboard header, port <04 00 00 00>
HS05: USB2 on USB3 back plate right, port <05 00 00 00>
HS06: USB2 on USB3 back plate left, port <06 00 00 00>
HS07: (unused)
HS08: (unused)
HS09: USB2 on port #1 from 1st USB2 motherboard header (for AIO Pump), port <09 00 00 00>
HS10: USB2 on port #2 from 1st USB2 motherboard header, port <0a 00 00 00>
HS11: USB2 on port #1 from 2nd USB2 motherboard header, port <0b 00 00 00>
HS12: USB2 on port #2 from 2nd USB2 motherboard header, port <0c 00 00 00> 
HS13: USB2 on USB2 back plate right (for Apple Keyboard), port <0d 00 00 00>
HS14: USB2 on USB2 back plate left (for USB Mouse), port <0e 00 00 00>

SS01: USB3 on port #1 from 1st USB3 motherboard header, port, <11 00 00 00>
SS02: USB3 on port #2 from 1st USB3 motherboard header, port, <12 00 00 00>
SS03: USB3 on port #1 from 2nd USB3 motherboard header, port, <13 00 00 00>
SS04: USB3 on port #2 from 2nd USB3 motherboard header, port <14 00 00 00>
SS05: USB3 on USB3 back plate right, port <15 00 00 00>
SS06: USB3 on USB3 back plate left, port <16 00 00 00>
SS07: unused
SS08: unused
SS09: unused
SS10: unused

USR1: unused
USR2: unused
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if this ssdt stuff is needed at all. I am not using the port limit patch, I don't need more than 15 ports. My understanding is that if you apply the patch you could have problems re array bounds but if you don't you should get 15 ports and it seems all the ports are working without any modification of the kext or applying an ssdt.

You're right! All ports work OOB. But sometimes I have had problems with my system waking up after sleep. It is said, that propperly configuring all the ports in a SSDT and keeping the count at/below 15 ports may avoid bugs with sleep. Time will prove if it was worth the hassle.

You're right! All ports work OOB. But sometimes I have had problems with my system waking up after sleep. It is said, that propperly configuring all the ports in a SSDT and keeping the count at/below 15 ports may avoid bugs with sleep. Time will prove if it was worth the hassle.

Did you have sleep / wake problems with this MB ?

Did you have sleep / wake problems with this MB ?

Yes, sometimes the screen was cluttered with flickering puzzle pieces of the desktop on wake up. Reconnecting the Thunderbolt adapter worked most of the time, since my monitor is connected via TB. Sometimes the system reboots on wake up or the user account logs out and yesterday the USB cable mouse lagged badly after wake up. Therefore I'm eager to do everything propperly and tidy up pieces by pieces.

• 1 month later...

and everytime I try to boot from the installer the computer just restarts

Get a little bit more specific. Rebooting is part of the installation process anyway. At which point does your machine reboot? What options, etc.?

Hi, I am trying to get my Prime working with onboard Intel video. not having any luck. I have tried switching the ram slots around... if I put the ram in the 2 slots furthest away from the cpu Clover just restarts as soon as ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ show up..... If I put the ram in the 2 slots closest to cpu the computer just freezes with ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.......

I space them out and same things happen.... if ram is close to cpu I get freeze.. if ram furthest it reboots

Curious how your ram is installed that makes MacOs load and run

On 30.03.2018 at 2:13 AM, shaggymane said:

Hi, I am trying to get my Prime working with onboard Intel video. not having any luck. I have tried switching the ram slots around... if I put the ram in the 2 slots furthest away from the cpu Clover just restarts as soon as ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ show up..... If I put the ram in the 2 slots closest to cpu the computer just freezes with ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.......

I space them out and same things happen.... if ram is close to cpu I get freeze.. if ram furthest it reboots

Curious how your ram is installed that makes MacOs load and run

You need to fill in information about ram sticks in smbios section in clover config file. This will help you continue with installation.

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for the effort of putting this here and sharing... it helped a lot. 

Everything worked like a charm and 10.13.5 was installed on the SSD, until I tried to install the MSI Nvidia 1070ti graphic card, the whole screen went black and came to boot loop.I used the latest Nvidia drivers from the website:

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.35.106.pkg

Is there a way to fix that?

--------------------

Build parts: Asus Prime Z370-A, Intel i7 8700k, MSI GeForce GTX 1070 TI Gaming 8G, 16Gb Crucial Spor LT, 500GB SSD Samsung Evo850 

Edited by 997.2
did not mention build specs

• 3 months later...
HI guys. I have the same Mobo.

the history begins when i've changed my Corsair 110 to EVGA closed loop.

With EVGA, after the log screen the computer got really hot 99º!!

Removing some FakeSMC sensors kexts the water cooler came back to life.

It took me a full day of restarts etc..

So. I bought a Nvme SSD 970 Samsung.

Did a clone of the working drive, but now it CRASHES after log screen!

Tried installing from zero.. same EFI.. and no way.

BUT, if i remove the overclock, theres no crash.

Please help.. i cant believe i cannot use Nvme SSD 970 with a overclock!

Tried m2 Bios settings X2 x4 .. the crash persists..

Please help

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same motherboard and can't get the USB 3 or USB 3.1 ports to work well. Can you give me some instructions please? Can I find these kexts on this site?   I was wondering if Clover Configurator app will mount the EFI? I'd rather mount the EFI through the finder if there are any tips on this? Thank You, Nick/misterphoton 

• 3 months later...

I have the same motherboard, only the 8600K processor and the 1070 video card. Can you post the EFI for this motherboard? The system was not installed at all until I installed the AMD R9 280x graphics card, it was installed with it. C 1070 starts, but I can not install the web driver. Writes an incompatibility of the version of the operating system.
I apologize for the translation, translated from Russian.