OS X works with SLI enabled!

19 posts in this topic

Okay, here's the deal. You can see my system configuration in my signature below.

Without Titan.kext installed, I can boot OS X with SLi enabled in BIOS. OS X simply sees two separate video cards. This is nice for my dualboot system, because I can just choose Windows or OS X at the bootloader without having to go into BIOS.

With Titan.kext installed, I have to disable SLi in order to boot.

Now of course I don't need SLi to actually work on my system (and what a tall order that is anyway), but I WOULD like to use Titan in OS X and not also have to go into my BIOS every time I switch operating systems.

(I definetely DO use SLi in windows)

It seems to my uneducated self, that this shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish. Some way for Titan to replicate the OS's behavior towards SLi when it's not loaded (that is, simply ignoring it, and reporting two separate cards)

However, I really don't know where to start. Any ideas or suggestions (or even a friendly hint) would be greatly appreciated.

an interesting thing I just realized. when booting with both Titan and SLi, after loginwindow starts, the screen actually responds the same way it does when successfully booting. That is it blanks to black and then powers up, except it only powers up with a blank screen. (kind of purplish, you know, it's getting a signal through the DVI port, just nothing to draw)

Why would vesa drivers ignore SLi, but nvidia drivers don't?

an interesting thing I just realized. when booting with both Titan and SLi, after loginwindow starts, the screen actually responds the same way it does when successfully booting. That is it blanks to black and then powers up, except it only powers up with a blank screen. (kind of purplish, you know, it's getting a signal through the DVI port, just nothing to draw)

Why would vesa drivers ignore SLi, but nvidia drivers don't?

I think there's some kind of support for multiple cards in the nvidia, but I have no idea if it's sli enabled. If you could enable ssh and get an ioreg dump after full boot, and another in single user mode, maybe I'll be able to help.

I have SLI and no problems with the first Titan from Nov 1. But I get the same problem as you with the Nov 4 release. I actually just relized that the black screen problem I have maybe due to SLI. I have a dipswitch on my motherboard to disable so I never bothered. Anyway's maybe try the titan 1 release.

westep23:

Could you please post the Nov 1 Titan release here in this forum?

(it's not apple code, so it should be within the forum rules)

I have the Nov 4 release, and it's the only one available on Omni's site.

thanx

Okay,

After totally fubaring my system it took me a week to figure out how to get it back.

The Titan v1 doesn't work for me. It doesn't work at all. The latest Natit doesn't work either. Titan v4 of course works perfectly, except it balks when my BIOS SLI mode is set to Auto or Dual.

Here's my idea, comparing the info.plist from the Nov1 and Nov4 Titan's. Perhaps theres an edit I can make that could make a difference.

Titan Nov 1

<key>Titan</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.free.driver.Titan</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>Titan</string>
		<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
		<string>IOFramebuffer</string>
		<key>IONameMatch</key>
		<string>display</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>50000</integer>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
	</dict>

Titan Nov 4

<key>Titan</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.free.driver.Titan</string>
		<key>EDID0</key>
		<data>
		</data>
		<key>EDID1</key>
		<data>
		</data>
		<key>FBOFFSET</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>Titan</string>
		<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
		<string>IOFramebuffer</string>
		<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
		<string>0x03000000&0xff000000</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
	</dict>

I tried using the Nov1 plist with the Nov4 binary, but that failed. Any ideas what kind of mix/match should work?.. like deleting the edid keys or the fboffset key? I'll probably get impatient and start trying all kinds of random stuff, but if anyone who has a clue reads this, could you please give me a hint?

I think there's some kind of support for multiple cards in the nvidia, but I have no idea if it's sli enabled. If you could enable ssh and get an ioreg dump after full boot, and another in single user mode, maybe I'll be able to help.

Here are two ioreg dumps.

ioreg WITH Titan and WITHOUT SLI. (it works properly here, except I have disabled SLI in BIOS)

ioreg__Titan_with_no_SLI_.txt.zip

ioreg WITH Titan and WITH SLI in single user mode. (if I try to boot to gui here, I get a powered, but blank screen)

ioreg__Titan_with_SLI_singleusr_.txt.zip

as much fiddling as I've done, I just can't get the Nov1 release to load the GUI under any circumstances. (very frustrating since westep23 reported success with it)

Natit v2 and Titan Nov4 are the only ones that work at all for me. They both work perfectly with sli-disabled, and they both send an empty signal with sli-enabled.

I'm gonna have to quit on this for now, I'm getting frustrated. If any of my reports are of any use to anyone, good luck.

EDIT: I've switched to using the Natit v2 kext now. It works just as well as Titan Nov4.

• 2 months later...