Fusion Drive: Error Loading Kernel Cache

shrieken213

3 posts in this topic

Long time no see everyone,

I'm trying to upgrade my Sierra installation to High Sierra via vanilla installer. Upgrades never caused issues before (minus Pascal web drivers) until now. It seems the High Sierra installer cannot boot from a Fusion Drive.

Clover says it encounters errors loading the kernel cache, with code 0xe.

I believe what the installer does before rebooting into the file copy process is try to upgrade the JHFS+ partition to APFS from what I saw on a verbose reboot, and that might be the issue. But from what I read from the Apple support documents, Fusion Drives should not be converted and indeed my drive is not (since I can reboot to Sierra after the error).

Or it could be that the installer itself has compatibility issues with Fusion Drives.

*note: I've also tried a createinstallmedia USB, which shows the hack can boot High Sierra via USB but not from a Fusion Drive.

I'll try installing with the no conversion flag through the terminal. In the meantime, can we think of any other reasons why this might be happening?

Update: no luck with the no conversion flag. It doesn't look like it's related to APFS at all, but rather an issue unique to Fusion Drives.