iconservicesagent is using All RAM and crash Finder

Fory360

30 posts in this topic

Hi, I install clean high sierra on SSD, the iconservicesagent keeps on bogging down the system while eating up all the memory in a few seconds and then filling up my OS drive (an SSD) with swap space. I can force quit it in Activity Monitor, and I need to do it several times, before I can use my Mac again.

I happen to internal and external hdd with custom icons in videos, there are not many system utilities ready for High Sierra, but deleting caches does not help anything.

The Finder works on the main disk, but upon entering another HDD the iconservicesagent starts to function and blocks the computer completely.

With the 27-inch iMac me the same happened, is a disaster!!

the solution they give me in apple care is to reinstall the system from 0, I have already done it 2 times and the problem persists, that you have made apple, you have no solution for this?

High Sierra disaster, with macos saw not the problem of ICONSERVICESAGENT

Help!!

post-658727-0-22341300-1509262936_thumb.png

Hi, I install clean high sierra on SSD, the iconservicesagent keeps on bogging down the system while eating up all the memory in a few seconds and then filling up my OS drive (an SSD) with swap space. I can force quit it in Activity Monitor, and I need to do it several times, before I can use my Mac again.

I happen to internal and external hdd with custom icons in videos, there are not many system utilities ready for High Sierra, but deleting caches does not help anything.

The Finder works on the main disk, but upon entering another HDD the iconservicesagent starts to function and blocks the computer completely.

With the 27-inch iMac me the same happened, is a disaster!!

the solution they give me in apple care is to reinstall the system from 0, I have already done it 2 times and the problem persists, that you have made apple, you have no solution for this?

High Sierra disaster, with macos saw not the problem of ICONSERVICESAGENT

Help!!

There's kernel_task that is using all your memory.

Open terminal and write

cd ~/Desktop
diskutil info -all > disk_info.txt
ls /System/Library/Extensions > S_L_E.txt
ls /Library/Extensions > L_E.txt
kextstat | grep -v com.apple > kexts_loaded.txt

Attach the three files generated on your desktop

There's kernel_task that is using all your memory.

Open terminal and write

cd ~/Desktop
diskutil info -all > disk_info.txt
ls /System/Library/Extensions > S_L_E.txt
ls /Library/Extensions > L_E.txt
kextstat | grep -v com.apple > kexts_loaded.txt

Attach the three files generated on your desktop

Thank you, that's the files

Finder.zip

Have you installed anything? You have third party kexts that I have never seen.

59    0 0xffffff7f8321e000 0x3000     0x3000     com.exvision.hdmiaudio (1.0) 2E3D3B09-CD0F-3A99-B10B-CDF233DD26EA <12 7 4 3>
   66    0 0xffffff7f81584000 0x1a000    0x1a000    com.Accusys.driver.Acxxx (3.1.8) CBFBD540-DC58-3D9D-91AD-2BD4DD624FE7 <65 12 5 4 3>
   71    0 0xffffff7f814db000 0x11000    0x11000    com.metakine.handsoff.driver (3.2.3) 2F6A5503-A9DF-3A09-9798-5A86D868609B <7 5 4 3 1>

Try running EtreCheck and see if there's any adware software installed. Post the report if needed.

• Like 1

Have you installed anything? You have third party kexts that I have never seen.

59    0 0xffffff7f8321e000 0x3000     0x3000     com.exvision.hdmiaudio (1.0) 2E3D3B09-CD0F-3A99-B10B-CDF233DD26EA <12 7 4 3>
   66    0 0xffffff7f81584000 0x1a000    0x1a000    com.Accusys.driver.Acxxx (3.1.8) CBFBD540-DC58-3D9D-91AD-2BD4DD624FE7 <65 12 5 4 3>
   71    0 0xffffff7f814db000 0x11000    0x11000    com.metakine.handsoff.driver (3.2.3) 2F6A5503-A9DF-3A09-9798-5A86D868609B <7 5 4 3 1>

Try running EtreCheck and see if there's any adware software installed. Post the report if needed.

The apps installs is:

Blu-ray Player Pro

Handsoff

Hyperdock

Cleanmymac

EtreCheck.zip

My only suggestion would be: do a clean install. Basically, reinstall HS without installing third party apps (no teamviewer, cleanmymac, etc.). Check if the problem disappears.

If the answer is yes, that was caused by one of those apps. Reainstall them one by one and see which causes the issue.

If the answer is no, it means that there's something wrong with your hardware, efi, or installer.

• Like 1

My only suggestion would be: do a clean install. Basically, reinstall HS without installing third party apps (no teamviewer, cleanmymac, etc.). Check if the problem disappears.

If the answer is yes, that was caused by one of those apps. Reainstall them one by one and see which causes the issue.

If the answer is no, it means that there's something wrong with your hardware, efi, or installer.

installation from 0 and the result is the same, iconservicesagent crazy and Finder does not respond.

It's curious, I have 2 build:

1: Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU: i7-4790K
RAM: 32GB 2100 GHz
Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1

2: Mobo: Z270M-D3H
CPU: i5 7600K
RAM: 16GB 2400 GHz
Graphics: EVGA GTX 750 TI

In the 1 Build I do not have the problem of the iconservicesagent crazy, its operation is correct and I use the same installer for the Build 2.
will it be by Kaby lake?

I attach my config.plist

config.plist.zip

Change icons to Folders or files by custom icons in icns format

Understood. IconServiceAgent memory usage depends on how many icons you have on the desktop and high res custom icons can cause IconServiceAgent to use a lot of memory. From a github discussion (here):

Also, it looks like the service has some real problems if you put some very high res custom icons on files. For me it was on an external drive so I could get the system to be responsive by removing the drive. I went and removed all the custom icons and the system seems to be working well again.

Try typing this into terminal:

sudo killall -KILL iconservicesagent

I hope this helps u.

• Like 1

Understood. IconServiceAgent memory usage depends on how many icons you have on the desktop and high res custom icons can cause IconServiceAgent to use a lot of memory. From a github discussion (here):

Try typing this into terminal:

sudo killall -KILL iconservicesagent

I hope this helps u.

No, the Finder does not respond and iconservicesagent returns to restart it I kill it and it returns again and again and again, and the Finder does not respond Beachballing

EterCherk Beachballing.rtf

Can you provide a screenshot from System Preferences -> "your_current_user" -> Login Items?

I think that the last chance is to remove customised icons, as they are the cause of this problem. I don't have any other "trick" that can solve this problem.