[RYZEN] macOS Sierra Post Install - Troubleshooting (NVIDIA & Other Drivers, Audio, Hardware compatibility, etc.)

motoxnate

18 posts in this topic

The is the Post-Install topic following the Ryzen Clover Installation Guide for macOS Sierra

If you have yet to install Sierra on your Ryzen machine, check out that thread for help installing.

Here we can discuss post install troubleshooting such as well known  issues with NVIDIA Drivers, audio interfaces, etc. 

Here is one workaround for audio that I am using - My audio was not working and I spent days trying to get it to work (ASUS Prime X370 Pro) to no avail. Eventually I bought this for $10 and it worked immediately with no drivers or setup: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BMG9TB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One question for starters, I am using a Radeon R9 280x with no graphics injection. If I put my Ryzen build to sleep, it changes power states correctly. When Powered back on, the monitors don't turn on. I don't know if this is related to the GPU, or just an issue in general, but in any case I would appreciate any help!

• Like 2

The same issue can and does happen on Intel systems as well, it may be a frame buffer issue or configuration bug. It can be a little tricky matching your output ports, hdmi, DisplayPort, dvdi etc.. with a compatible Framebuffer choice. Sometimes you need to fix an existing Framebuffer to match your cards ports.

Also, using inject ATI vs non injection can play a role, if you inject you get the proper naming of device but it is also assigning a specific Framebuffer as well. Not injecting ATI let's the software assign a Framebuffer which may or may not work 100% and it usually gives you a HD 7xxx or HD 8xxx naming.

Mork vom Ork has done work on. rX card framebuffers and port assignments try search tool to find some of his fixes and notes and it will also probably lead to others with your same issue.

• Like 1

The is the Post-Install topic following the Ryzen Clover Installation Guide for macOS Sierra

If you have yet to install Sierra on your Ryzen machine, check out that thread for help installing.

Here we can discuss post install troubleshooting such as well known  issues with NVIDIA Drivers, audio interfaces, etc. 

Here is one workaround for audio that I am using - My audio was not working and I spent days trying to get it to work (ASUS Prime X370 Pro) to no avail. Eventually I bought this for $10 and it worked immediately with no drivers or setup: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BMG9TB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One question for starters, I am using a Radeon R9 280x with no graphics injection. If I put my Ryzen build to sleep, it changes power states correctly. When Powered back on, the monitors don't turn on. I don't know if this is related to the GPU, or just an issue in general, but in any case I would appreciate any help!

280x on FX8350 sleep/wake works for me.

• Like 1

This thread seems a nice idea!
I'm having a couple of issues with my ryzen setup, the most important is the lag with the gpu, a pascal 1070, the driver works, but are extremely slow...
The other issue is that, even if I correctly configure ethernet and serials I can't succesfully gain appstore access to use things such as bought apps or speak with Siri...
About about audio, sadly I'm forced to use vodoo but it sounds goods... :)

• Like 1

This morning I built a clone 10.12.6 Ryzen system using Gigamaxx's install guide.  This drive now boots well on my Rygen 7 1700x system which is a Gigabyte AB350N, 16GB DDR4 with a Gigabyte GXT 960 (ITX version). 

The issue is I currently can not get this system to load the Nvidia Web drivers.  The drivers/kexts installed and can be seen in /S/L/E.   

OBW I have a second Ryzen boot HDD with 10.12.4 and this one is setup to boot with a GeForce 8400 GS (a OOB compatible GPU).  This system does boot and run with video acceleration and the GPU card is identified correctly.  However this set up is dog slow running UNiGiNE Heaven.. (this bench mark reports 1.6 Max FPS!).

However my main focus is getting the GTX 960 drivers sorted out.

Thank you for any help,

Neil

edit 8/10/2017 - resolved the GTX 960 not loading the NVidia Web drivers by updating Clover to ..4128 with EmuVariableUefi-64 added to the installed items.

• 2 weeks later...

My system boots most of the time correctly.  However it does fail to boot for no good reason at times; I find that doing -v (verbose) boot usually gets it started.

Now the main post install issue that I am looking at is the incorrectly identified CPU name (shown as "unknown" in "About this Mac" and the 16 Cores vs 8 Cores as seen in GeekBench and Cinebench.  Of interest I have Windows 8 installed and in Windows the cores and threads are correct as seen in Cinebench.  

I updated the BIOS from F2 to F3 but this did not affect the problem.

Again this is on my Gigabyte AB350N system with 10.12.6 installed via Gigamaxx's disk edit process.  

Neil

Hi,
I have successfully installed OS X 10.12.6 on my Ryzen 1800x system. I also managed to get the Nvidia Web Driver with my 1070 working. However, when I change the resolution anything above 1080p (I have a 4k TV connected via Ckub 3D DisplayPort HDMI converter) the overall GPU performance seems sluggish. I even get the feeling that the system itself gets slower. I also had problems with OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi on boot up. Every now and than I needed to try up to 6 times before it completed to boot into OS X. I changed OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and that fixed it. So has anyone an idea how to increse the GPU power? Thnx   :)

My system boots most of the time correctly.  However it does fail to boot for no good reason at times; I find that doing -v (verbose) boot usually gets it started.

Now the main post install issue that I am looking at is the incorrectly identified CPU name (shown as "unknown" in "About this Mac" and the 16 Cores vs 8 Cores as seen in GeekBench and Cinebench.  Of interest I have Windows 8 installed and in Windows the cores and threads are correct as seen in Cinebench.  

I updated the BIOS from F2 to F3 but this did not affect the problem.

Again this is on my Gigabyte AB350N system with 10.12.6 installed via Gigamaxx's disk edit process.  

Neil

You can use the latest clover r4152, r4178? Just use your config.plist and kext folders. Bronya worked with the clover team to implement the changes into the new releases of clover. If using the original 4070 those 8 core 16 thread counts weren't fixed yet.

You can use the latest clover r4152, r4178? Just use your config.plist and kext folders. Bronya worked with the clover team to implement the changes into the new releases of clover. If using the original 4070 those 8 core 16 thread counts weren't fixed yet.

I saw this post and updated my Clover from v4128 to v4184 today and I see no improvement in the Cores/Threads issue.  The is using Cinebench and Geekbench as test tools.

And as a sharing; I use VMWare Fusion on my OS X hacks and run an old favorite copy of XP Pro with a bunch of utils, anyway Fusion was giving me an error on the Ryzen system.  However, I saw a hint in a YouTube vid that pointed to SVM in the Gigabyte UEFI BIOS (Secure Virtual Machine Mode).  With this setting set to enabled, VMWare Fusion v8.n is happy and my virtual machine runs well (this is on 10.12.6 installed via Gigamaxx edit process).

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

When i install 10.12.6 on a disk - do i have to get through the full installation until i see the mac screen with all my data etc? or just quit before coming after reboot? 

And where i have exactly i have to go on in the guide, after i install the system on my ssd? at the second video? 

I need help 

I've done the following Steps - and after this all i came only to Apple Logo loading bar to 3/4 and that was the end. 

USING A RX 480 for this

1. Clean Install 10.12.6 on HDD

2. Merged and Replaced library, extrations,frameworks,kernels, prelinked, etc.

3. Started Clover and done UEFI, Clover EPS, RC scripts

4.Open EFI copyed CLOVER AND BOOT

5. Added Kext for Ethernet and Lilu, Whatever in Folder: Other

6. config.plist from Gigamaxx

7. Installed OsxAptioFix2Dry-free2000.efi and deleted OsxAptio 

8. Kext Wizard and Repair 

9. On first Boot i used: verbose, singleuser, keepsymblos,dontreboot,debutkextoption, 

10. root appears - so "mount -uw" and "Fsck -fy" - enterd exit and it runs through long amount of text - after a time it stopped, and i restartet it.  DO I NEED THIS ON A DRESH SSD INSTALL? 

11. NOTHING WORKS - Maybe i done a Failure somewhere in this? 

First Photo: The Photo is from the Verbose Mode 3/4 Of Apple Logo Bar

Second Photo: Is from -X -V Mode (Safe Modus) 

(i have to say, that i got some problems copying frameworks (kernel.framework and system.framework) because my system cant copy the files and said sometimes theres already a file like that name.) normaly it was the "Link Folders" 

I tryed it with the Ryzen Patcher and manualy added the kernel and prelinkedkernel. Same 

It always ends at:

Cant Load kext com.apple.driver.pmtelemtetry - link failed

Failed to load (0xdc008016)

etc etc

Do someone have an Idea? 

post-2255651-0-44897500-1505913857_thumb.jpg

post-2255651-0-82866200-1505914351_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I've installed a working Ryzen 1800X Hackintosh (see sig). Clover UEFI. It's stable now and everything is working.

Anyway the adobe installer doesn't launch, also textwrangler and some apps like Corel Painter don't launch after installing.

So questions are : What is it about ? Problem of apps themselves ? Kexts of System ?

I've read nothing on this except in a post and it seems about the kernel modification for AMD ?

Did some of you succeed in making this stuff work ? How ?

Thanks for explains, and solutions. :(

I saw this post and updated my Clover from v4128 to v4184 today and I see no improvement in the Cores/Threads issue.  The is using Cinebench and Geekbench as test tools.

And as a sharing; I use VMWare Fusion on my OS X hacks and run an old favorite copy of XP Pro with a bunch of utils, anyway Fusion was giving me an error on the Ryzen system.  However, I saw a hint in a YouTube vid that pointed to SVM in the Gigabyte UEFI BIOS (Secure Virtual Machine Mode).  With this setting set to enabled, VMWare Fusion v8.n is happy and my virtual machine runs well (this is on 10.12.6 installed via Gigamaxx edit process).

Neil

@neil43, So if I understand correctly, you managed to get virtualisation running on a Ryzen CPU? I've enabled virtualisation in my bios too, and disabled dart=0 but can't seem to get virtualisation working :(

• 3 weeks later...