Instructions To Create Sierra since Chriss' USB Installer Post Is Gone?

11 posts in this topic

I see that the set of Hackintosh instructions[ macOS USB installer] that Chris 1111 posted and was maintaining is gone [no link to download].

Is there another set of instructions similar to the scope that Chris previously supported, somewhere in this forum?

In case it makes a difference, my hardware is:

GA-Z87X-UD5H, Bios Ver 5,

i5-4770K,

16GB G Skill 2133 MHz RAM,

500GB Samsung SSD + 1TB HDD Samsung HD103SJ  +256GB OCX-Vertex3 SSD [currently this SSD is the host for Win 10 & MacOS10.12.5 in virtual environment]

Plan on using the motherboard's build-in video[intel HD Graphics 4600] 

I want to support both USB 3.0 & 2.0.

Display is  AURIA 27in. EQ276WN [2560x1440]

DVD & Bluray burners

Connection to internet now will be via Ethernet (using motherboard built-in which system believes is Intel I217 Gigabit Ethernet

Hope for WiFi using Edimax EW-7822UAC[it was supported in earlier versions of OSX].

I also have a Linksys AE2500 WiFi Adapter if that is easier to use.

I have Sierra [10.12.5] running under virtual environment [on top of Windows 10] on same motherboard on another SSD.( Of course, I can disconnect the Windows 10 SSD if needed to install & run Sierra) That is my environment to build an installer.

For those tools you'll need to ask @Chris1111

But:

For creating a USB installer for macOS (10.9 to 10.13) you don't need any special app. All you need is to have access to an Apple computer, a working hackintosh or a working macOS on a Virtual Machine and the latest version on clover or the one that suits your hardware and the macOS install app from App Store.

You can use these commands for creating the USB disk which is called "createinstallmedia" which is the official commands provided by Apple.

macOS High Sierra Beta:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app —nointeraction

macOS High Sierra:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 10.13\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 10.13\ Beta.app —nointeraction

macOS Sierra:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

El Capitan:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

Yosemite:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

Mavericks:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

after that you successfully created the USB disk you need to install clover to make it bootable for using on PCs. (The USB disk is already bootable for Apple computers)

What @chris1111 was providing with his tools was a great easy tool to create the USB disk and add the necessary files for booting into macOS installer or the installed version of the macOS.

You will need to add your specific kexts, DSDT/SSDT files afterwards.

• Like 1

For those tools you'll need to ask @Chris1111

But:

For creating a USB installer for macOS (10.9 to 10.13) you don't need any special app. All you need is to have access to an Apple computer, a working hackintosh or a working macOS on a Virtual Machine and the latest version on clover or the one that suits your hardware and the macOS install app from App Store.

You can use these commands for creating the USB disk which is called "createinstallmedia" which is the official commands provided by Apple.

macOS High Sierra Beta:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app —nointeraction

macOS High Sierra:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 10.13\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 10.13\ Beta.app —nointeraction

macOS Sierra:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

El Capitan:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

Yosemite:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

Mavericks:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

after that you successfully created the USB disk you need to install clover to make it bootable for using on PCs. (The USB disk is already bootable for Apple computers)

What @chris1111 was providing with his tools was a great easy tool to create the USB disk and add the necessary files for booting into macOS installer or the installed version of the macOS.

You will need to add your specific kexts, DSDT/SSDT files afterwards.

I had an issue trying the 10.13 dev beta. I had to use /Install\ macOS\ 10.\ 13\ beta.app --nointeraction.    I tried \ 10.13\ but could not get it to work, did you use the above command?    I tried everything even changed the title to High Sierra Beta but nothing worked until I used the 10.\ 13\ very strange and I had to repeat it again a week later.

WOW, That looks easy. Thanks for the answer. I'll try it.

You're welcome :)

This is really easy, it is almost two or three steps ;) 

I had an issue trying the 10.13 dev beta. I had to use /Install\ macOS\ 10.\ 13\ beta.app --nointeraction.    I tried \ 10.13\ but could not get it to work, did you use the above command?    I tried everything even changed the title to High Sierra Beta but nothing worked until I used the 10.\ 13\ very strange and I had to repeat it again a week later.

Oh yeah I used these commands on each version macOS High Sierra that has been released. 

If you encounter an error just let me know:)

After I execute that terminal command, do I need to do any "touch up" such as set up network, fix USB 3.0?

Unless there are features "to die for" I don't plan to try 10.13 Beta[High Sierra] so I should not experience those problems unless they appear for final 10.13

Again thank for your generous offer to help further if needed.

After I execute that terminal command, do I need to do any "touch up" such as set up network, fix USB 3.0?

Unless there are features "to die for" I don't plan to try 10.13 Beta[High Sierra] so I should not experience those problems unless they appear for final 10.13

Again thank for your generous offer to help further if needed.

My pleasure :)

After creating the USB disk you need to install clover and you can optimize your clover folder with adding the Patched DSDT/SSD (If you have them) files under /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched and you need to have at least FakeSMC.kext and a kext for your Ethernet card inside /EFI/Clover/kext/10.12 or /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other 

These kexts ar also helpful if you can add them to your kext folder:

1. AppleALC.kext for Audio

2. Lilu.kext for Audio and Graphics

3. IntelGraphicsFixUp.kext for Graphics

4. IntelMusiEthernet.kext for Ehernet

5. USBInjectAll.kext for USB ports

You might also need to add the following ACPI patches for activating audio and USB ports in case you don't have a patched DSDT.aml file:

Comment: change EHC1 to EH01

Find: 45484331 

Replace: 45483031 

Comment: change EHC2 to EH02

Find: 45484332  

Replace: 45483032 

Comment: change AZAL to HDEF

Find: 415a414c   

Replace: 48444546  

Kexts.zip

Sorry, I do have another question.

Where to I indicate the target for those commands to install Sierra etc.?

If I have a Disc whose name is "Sierra"

What would be the command to install the Sierra version on it?

It's ok I will answer all the questions you have to the best of my knowledge ;)

Let's take a look at the macOS Sierra createinstallmedia command for example.

As you can see in the command above, the red part of the command will indicate that the volume to be used is named "Untitled" which is the name of the USB disk that you want to create as macOS bootable device.

By running this command in terminal on almost all versions of macOS (I tested 10.9 to 10.13, not sure about the earlier version but this command should work on them as well AFAIK)

If you want to use let's say another USB disk which is Called "Sierra" you need to change the name "Untitled" to "Sierra" so the command will look like this:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Sierra --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction.

But to avoid any extra efforts or unnecessary headaches when you are formatting a disk using disk utility for creating the USB installer for the macOS just leave the name of the partition as "Untitled" and once the command is completed it will rename the disk to "Install macOS Sierra" or "Install macOS El Capitan" etc. etc. depending on the command you run to create the installer.

Just remember that these commands are for creating the installer disk, they are not for installing macOS.

Once you created the USB disk, it will be bootable for any Apple computer that's supports booting from USB.

For making the USB disk bootable for PCs or Hackintoshes you need to install Clover, Chameleon or Enoch bootloader to make it bootable for PCs.

Clover EFI Bootloader:

If you are using clover on an UEFI BIOS you'll need to choose "Install for UEFI booting only", "Install Clover in the ESP" and  install UEFI derivers necessary for your computer from "drivers64UEFI" and if you want to use the disk on a Legacy BIOS you need to choose "Install Clover in the ESP", and from Bootloader you need to select a proper boot loader and select the necessary drivers from "Drivers64"

If there is anything else that you need to know just let me know ;)

CYBERDEVS

Again-Thank you for helping me.

I think the last post you made clears up my question.

I now will not forget that the command I execute create an INSTALLER.

Then I boot the installer to create macOS.

After I create 10.12.x I add kexts. 

I will post results so anyone who needs to  create maxOS Sierra can see how to do it.

Any time :)

And that's correct the commands create the Installer which you use ti install macOS with. Do not forget to install covet to the USB installer and the again on the hard disk that you install sierra to ;)