Sierra on GA-Z170X-Designare (GPU 2x HD5850)

sad_Vamp

86 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'm searching for someone more experienced (especially with this MoBo) to help me. This is my first built, maybe I'm slipping on something banal. But as many times I make an installer and start to install, I got only through only the half of installation. When Sierra would reboot and you can set the cloud, wifi and these things. This part I cannot reach. The system keep rebooting every time. I can get into Sierra only with " -v  -x" arguments (basically safe mode) but from here I'm stuck. 

I do not know how to proceed, some times I'm not able to install CLOVER EFI, other time the Sierra keeps rebooting... 
What can cause this? What kext or setting do I miss? 

I'v read that there is something glitchy about NVRAM & restarting with this board. I tried the suggested argument for that, but it did not boot either.

So If there is anybody who would be willig to help, do not hold back! :)
I would really appreciate it.

the rig:
MoBo: Ga-Z170X-Designare
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k

RAM: 2x 8GB Hyperx 2666Mhz
GPU: 2x Sapphire Radeon HD5850
SSD: 2x Samsung Evo 850 250GB

Hi all!

I'm searching for someone more experienced (especially with this MoBo) to help me. This is my first built, maybe I'm slipping on something banal. But as many times I make an installer and start to install, I got only through only the half of installation. When Sierra would reboot and you can set the cloud, wifi and these things. This part I cannot reach. The system keep rebooting every time. I can get into Sierra only with " -v  -x" arguments (basically safe mode) but from here I'm stuck. 

I do not know how to proceed, some times I'm not able to install CLOVER EFI, other time the Sierra keeps rebooting... 

What can cause this? What kext or setting do I miss? 

I'v read that there is something glitchy about NVRAM & restarting with this board. I tried the suggested argument for that, but it did not boot either.

So If there is anybody who would be willig to help, do not hold back! :)

I would really appreciate it.

Hi there and welcome to insanelymac.com :)

Do you have IntelMausiEthernet.kext in your /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 or /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder?

No, just the FakeSMC's.... I'll will try it immediately. Could you suggest any Clover options also?

Please update your signature with the specs of you hardware so people can know what kind of hardware you are using so they can hep you easier.

and in general you'll need:

The latest version of FakeSMC.kext to boot into macOS on any given PC, you'll need AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext for activating the Audio and Graphics. You will also might need InjectUSBAll.kext along with a patch for USB ports limit.

macOS Sierra Guide look here for more information on the Installation process, our mainboards are similar in many parts except for the Thunderbolt ports.

About the clover option I'm not sure what you mean.

Install the following items:

Install for UEFI booting only

Install Clover in the ESP

Drivers64UEFI

EmuVariableUefi-64 (You might not needed but install it anyway)

OSxAptioFix2Drv-64

Install all RC scripts on target volume.

Install all RC scripts on all internal bootable OSX volumes other than the target volume.

Optional RC Scripts

"Install all RC scripts on all internal bootable OSX volumes other than the target volume." -  will it not damage my MBP?

You can just skip that one, it's not necessary. I use it and I don't have any MBP

Ok, I tried to make a brand new installer USB. In this case The clover boots, but the Sierra install does not start, instead of that the MoBo restarts.

I also tried to copy the drivers onto an installer which was made by ##### in that case the Sierra install started, but after the first restart also just re-boots.

if I put into verbose mode

I can read something about ATI, it seems to be OK, but the IGPU part is not, some kind of problem with framebuffer.

It is also not clear, if I should put the HDMi into the ATI or the IGPU.

based on your guide:

Initial Display Output = PCIe 1 Slot (Only If you are using a nVidia GPU, if you are using an AMD GPU you’ll need to enable IGFX and set it to primary in order to boot into macOS® Sierra®)

I put the cable into IGPU, else I did not have picture on the display.

Any suggestions?

Your GPU is fully supported by macOS and you don't need to use iGPU.

Post your EFI folder so can take a look.

Is your BIOS configuration correct?

and I suggest you create the USB Installer with createinstallmedia using the following command in terminal:

“sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app —nointeraction” 

I tried this yesterday also (but without the lilu kext). The USB was made. But probably one of the features of Clover do not allow to boot into the Sierra install. The clover comes in, but when I click on the USB to install, instead of installing it will restart.

Strange, because before it was not a problem (Also strange because the second usb made the other-"beasty" way worked). Maybe something from this is not needed. But maybe the new bios (ver F22) messed up the things a bit (last time when I was able to make a working installer with standard apple way I was using older bios, and slightly different clover options). 

We will see. (today I'm not home, hopefully tomorrow I can try it out once more).If any suggestions, please write them, I will try them. 

Boot with -v flag to see what's wrong with the startup. Clover options that matter are:

Install for UEFI booting only

Install Clover in the ESP

Drivers64UEFI

EmuVariableUefi-64 (You might not needed but install it anyway)

OSxAptioFix2Drv-64

You can also try another version of FakeSMC.

Replace the existing FakeSMC with this one.

FakeSMC.kext.zip

OK, tried the new kext (and copied the previos kext except this new, and also copied the config.plist) with the old usb, not better. Then I made a new, it worked, but only till the setting up part, then it goes blank end restarts. (BTW did you make some adjustments in this kext, because this time the USB started like the restore disk, then it downloaded/expanded the sierra. After it begun the real install.... but as i already said the second part made a restart again)

mod: If I put back the config.plist created by CLOVER EFI it does not even starts the installer, just restarts....

Does the verbose mode stores the log somewhere? Or it should be recorded with a phone or cam or something?

OK, tried the new kext (and copied the previos kext except this new, and also copied the config.plist) with the old usb, not better. Then I made a new, it worked, but only till the setting up part, then it goes blank end restarts. (BTW did you make some adjustments in this kext, because this time the USB started like the restore disk, then it downloaded/expanded the sierra. After it begun the real install.... but as i already said the second part made a restart again)

mod: If I put back the config.plist created by CLOVER EFI it does not even starts the installer, just restarts....

Does the verbose mode stores the log somewhere? Or it should be recorded with a phone or cam or something?

The first FakeSMC.kext contained hardware sensors which I removed them in the second FakeSMC.kext. Those sensors might cause Kernel Panic on some computers.

The process of installing macOS Sierra will restart the computer two times. Once the first stage of the installation process is completed the computer will restart and after rebooting the system you need to choose the destination disk which you chose to install Sierra. In clover you need to choose the macOS Sierra destination disk to continue the process. After the second stage of the Installation is complete system will reboot once more and after that you can boot into macOS to complete the final stage. 

Just take some pictures of the verbose log and send them to me. I'm not sure if there's log for verbose boot.

Verbose video -if I'm guessing right, it will be the GPU (but why, when it should be fully compatible?)

Until now the sierra restarted just once for me. The first phase not happened before. The USB used to simply to start install, I haven't got the menu with reinstall os, disk utility, firmware... etc. (these thing was only in the upper menubar).