Clamshell G3

4 posts in this topic

I am referring to a 466mhz with a DVD drive

Does anybody on this site own an original G3 Clamshell?

Does it perform decent in Tiger?

Have you even dared to use Photoshop?

Does it have a speaker? If so what quality is the sound?

Is it very hard to get apart? I would like to remove the plastic pieces and paint them all white.

Is there absolutely no way to get 1024 x 768 resolution?

Would an extra 512mb stick of Ram be enough to use Photoshop lightly?

I am thinking of getting a iBook graphite off eBay and wanted to know if anybody has had any experience with them

Also can anyone compare the speed of one compared to a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 with 512mb of RAM? I know the iBook will be slower but just how much slower.

I own an orginal iBook 300mhz G3.

It doesnt run Tiger, Panther runs very slowly.

Photoshop? forget that one on mine

Speaker? its ok, could be better

Taking it apart isnt that bad, check out iFixit.com for all the guides,tools,parts you'll need

Resolution? probably stuck at whatever the max you can get, unless external monitor.

depends on how much ram you already have. Id keep to Panther at most to run photoshop. If you have OS9 and the compatable Photoshop, might want to run it there as you'll have a lot more free memory.

Hope that offers some help :poster_oops:

I am referring to a 466mhz with a DVD drive

1. Does anybody on this site own an original G3 Clamshell?

2. Does it perform decent in Tiger?

3. Have you even dared to use Photoshop?

4. Does it have a speaker? If so what quality is the sound?

5. Is it very hard to get apart? I would like to remove the plastic pieces and paint them all white.

6. Is there absolutely no way to get 1024 x 768 resolution?

7. Would an extra 512mb stick of Ram be enough to use Photoshop lightly?

I am thinking of getting a iBook graphite off eBay and wanted to know if anybody has had any experience with them

8. Also can anyone compare the speed of one compared to a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 with 512mb of RAM? I know the iBook will be slower but just how much slower.

(numbered for clarity in response).

1. I don't own a clamshell, but I own a G3 iBook (900 MHz model) and would be happy to give my four half pennies on this subject.

2. Get 10.3 Panther instead of 10.4 Tiger for that model. It will run a lot better. Either that or use it for Mac OS 9, which will be wonderful on that model.

3. Use GIMP instead.

4. It does have a speaker. Mine is blah in terms of quality and it works a lot better under OS 9 than OS X.

5. I know the snow iBooks and later are hideous in their take-aparts. I remember hearing that the clamshell is easier to take apart. If you want a larger hard drive, invest in a Firewire drive, as that model does have a Firewire port.

6. Mactracker says no.

7. Use GIMP instead. It doesn't need the Altivec instructions for good performance in the way Photoshop does.

8. It all depends on what you're using it for. For normal everyday use, there will be a slight lag compared to even a latest G4. Such a lag isn't horrible, but it's worth mentioning. For heavier use, you'd be better off getting a PPC Mac mini for all your PowerPC needs.

I'm going to just whore out the PBG3 here, because that's the closest thing I've used.

With the exception of later model PowerBook G3's and iBook G3's, G3 notebooks don't have Firewire and do not "do" Tiger.

I didn't use Photoshop on these machines, but GIMP ran just fine -- while a bit slow, it was okay for Abiword, playing MP3 streams off the 'net via AirPort, and using the GIMP to produce web-sized graphics all at the same time. Not a powerhouse, but still a beast to be reckoned with.

The PowerBook G3 with Firewire has Insanely Great speakers. They're small, but they are loud for small speakers. On the other hand, this means the quality isn't all that great. But for crying out loud, these are laptop speakers!

The PowerBook G3 is easy to pick apart, to this I can attest, as well as many mac modders who have better specifics than I do.

The PowerBook G3's native resolution is 1024x768.

512MB is more than twice what than I had, it's more than enough for GIMPing various things if you can get that much RAM.

And it's less than $300 on eBay (but unfortunately won't do Leopard, unless you're one of those crazy G4 upgraders, in which case GIEV)