Which kernel is recommended for use?

Guest BuildSmart

61 posts in this topic

xBench scores are inconclusive because an improperly set fsb or a bad clock slew rate can seriously affect the resulting calculations.

I'm told there is another semthex kernel (I have not tested it as of yet) that has the clock slew rate corrected and autodetects the fsb so I would think that this kernel would yield more accurate results but benchmark results and feel are two completely different animals, if the feel is more responsive then the benchmark may not be valid if it doesn't reflect this.

I'm hoping later today I'll be able to test the newer kernel and report it's results but for now I'm finding the vitaliy to be best for my configuration.

Well, I've been testing the semthex kernel I got wed night, it seems to have amny issues reloved but there is still a clock issue and after several hours of use the system slows down forcing me to reboot, I've reverted to the vitaliy/mifki kernel and the problem has vanished.

There were some other issues (even in the vitaliy/mifki kernel that buildsmart wanted to see about fixing however becasue vitaliy (or daemones) has a dial up connection he is unable to obtain the vitaliy/mifki source in an attemp to address them so we're stuck with what's currently available until such times that the kernel sources are available so I'd still have to conclude that the vitaliy/mifki is the kernel of choice.

semthex, is your source going to be available soon?

Well, I've been testing the semthex kernel I got wed night, it seems to have amny issues reloved but there is still a clock issue and after several hours of use the system slows down forcing me to reboot, I've reverted to the vitaliy/mifki kernel and the problem has vanished.

There is no clock issue anymore, this was solved ages ago.

semthex, is your source going to be available soon?

Will be released if I think it's done.

What I want to know is:

1. What are the raw differences between the kernel in support of the various architectures.

2. What features and flags to the kernels support.

Is there any way we can stop the feuding and integrate the advances made by each programmer into a SemViKi type kernel.

Sem fixed the clock issue for me; the initial realease did not work at all on my machine; but now there is no problem.

So the question is: Which version of whose kernel are we talking about. We all need to be on the same page before generalizations could be made. Lets get down to the technical aspects not "general stability".

There is no clock issue anymore, this was solved ages ago.

Will be released if I think it's done.

Using your kernel the clock gains about 3 minutes a day so I have no choice but to conclude that there is a clock issue even though it is minute.

Stating that it will be released when you think it's done doesn't really give a projected or ETA on a release date and sounds more like your just blowing smoke, perhaps a comment like "before the end of the year" or "on or before Feb 2007" would be more informative and give others something to look forward too but then again you've never really been big on giving any definitive statements so maybe it's best that you continue your facade of non-commital.

Using your kernel the clock gains about 3 minutes a day so I have no choice but to conclude that there is a clock issue even though it is minute.

Stating that it will be released when you think it's done doesn't really give a projected or ETA on a release date and sounds more like your just blowing smoke, perhaps a comment like "before the end of the year" or "on or before Feb 2007" would be more informative and give others something to look forward too but then again you've never really been big on giving any definitive statements so maybe it's best that you continue your facade of non-commital.

The clock issue was fixed I think after you got the kernel on wensday,join the irc channel and get the latest kernel.It seems semthex is releasing a few kernels a day.