VMWare Fusion Beta causes kernel panics

trav1085

8 posts in this topic

I came across the leaked version of VMWare Fusion (VMWare's Parallels like Windows emulator beta). I tried to install it on my Jas 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel Celeron D 2.8Ghz Dimension 1100 and it causes a kernel panic.

Not sure if this is just me but I don't recommend using the beta of Fusion on x86 hackintoshes, and it's said it's only for Intel architechture.

Just a head ups if you plan on trying it on your PC. (IF you don't know what a kernel panic is, it's when it says you need to reboot your computer in 3 different languages. It happens right after it finishes installing. I had to reinstall Tiger)

it works for me w/o any problems

however I don't recommend you to try it because it's early beta, have very few config options for VMs and debug mode is always on decreasing performance. also xp installation can't recognize platform inside vmware.. parallels is much better

I got the kernel panic and opened my dev partition. I changed the targets for the uninstall script to the partition with vmware on it and ran it. I then restarted and then I could ghet in without a kernel panic. I ran the non-edited uninstall command just in case...

I got mine to work and copied a windows 98 vmware machine over to my os x machine (using latest 10.4.8 jas DVD) and it works great

I just hate not being able to turn off the debug mode. Slows it way down.... anyone got any ideas on how to remove the debug mode?

Magicman

I am attempting to install fusion on a development system I am building. I would surly appreciate any tips on how to get past the kernel panic. I read the earlier poets, but not sure what was meant about changing the target of the uninstall script.

I came across the leaked version of VMWare Fusion (VMWare's Parallels like Windows emulator beta). I tried to install it on my Jas 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel Celeron D 2.8Ghz Dimension 1100 and it causes a kernel panic.

Not sure if this is just me but I don't recommend using the beta of Fusion on x86 hackintoshes, and it's said it's only for Intel architechture.

Just a head ups if you plan on trying it on your PC. (IF you don't know what a kernel panic is, it's when it says you need to reboot your computer in 3 different languages. It happens right after it finishes installing. I had to reinstall Tiger)

Happened to me too but I did not need to reinstall. Just rebooted in safe mode (pressed F8 at boot and typed -x) then removed (run the uninstall script) vmware fusion, then restarted normally.

I actually tried to reinstall it again and although it did the kernel panic again, the computer booted normally but vmware started and did not install any OS. I started a new virtual machine which opened and when it's supposed to continue with the OS installation it didn't do anything. So, I guess it's either a too early beta or won't work on hackintosh. parallels does work but is way too slow for my liking. I downloaded a PC-BSD virtual machine and it doesn't do anything when i open it. ARG!!! It just won't work.

I would have done that, but I use GRUB, and can't access the darwin bootloader or use any parameters.