Yosemite Zone won't boot without install USB

5 posts in this topic

I successfully installed Yosemite Zone on my PC which will later be dual booted with Windows 10. I didn't use "MB" as it messed with my dual monitors (one is DVI one HDMI, only output through HDMI. It works fine with the nv_disable=1 from the Niresh setup though). I installed my audio and ethernet kexts and everything is up and running...except for one thing. I can't boot to this HDD without using the install USB. I've installed Clover, Chimera, and Chameleon all multiple times with standalone installers and I just can't get anything to work. I just get an error when booting without the usb that says something like ERROR: No usable boot device detected or something like that. Any ideas? 

Specs:

i7 3770

Acer Aspire MC605 OEM motherboard

EVGA GTX 760 SC 2GB
8GB DDR3 RAM

500GB HDD

(P.S. I'd prefer if you didn't suggest some sort of vanilla install. I would if I could but I haven't previously purchased Yosemite and can't obtain the Installer app.)

You'll have to be specific about the error so I can tell if it's a bootloader error or a BIOS error, though it's sounding like a BIOS error to me. Your motherboard can understand GUID partition tables on hard drives just fine so that has nothing to do with it.

edit: MC605 uses UEFI firmware so make sure you're booting the specific hard drive in legacy CSM mode for Chameleon/Chimera and Clover if you installed for legacy mode, or UEFI mode for Clover if you installed it in UEFI mode.

• Like 1

Alright. I got everything working. I enabled legacy boot to boot into the install USB. Then I installed, picking Clover UEFI as the boot loader option. Went through the installation and rebooted into BIOS. Re-enabled UEFI and everything worked as it should!  :)

Thanks again for all the help!