A New GPU for my Hackintosh

xJPN

12 posts in this topic

Unfortunately it looks like I'll be buying another GPU :( Have any suggestions? I need it to be OS X compatible obviously, so probably an Nvidia card is the best choice.

A little about what I use the card for, I will be doing professional 4k video and picture editing across Windows and OS X platforms. 4k @ 60Hz is a necessity. I'll occasionally game here and there but not more than I'll be editing. I've already lost so much time trouble shooting. Need to buy a worthwhile card ASAP. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, i have an hint to ask more specific for 4k viedoplayback/ editing in the headline.

So your target is more clear and gpu its not for an gaming target.

Yep, since 10.11 AMD is even more complicated to get it to work. Without an cpu integrated GPU its not possible ( ir read this somewhere).

I woud ask for AMD gpu , taget 4 K Videplayback / editing also in the gpu / AMD thread. Perhaps someone use AMD with this target work of videoediting and you get infos also there.

Nvidia stays, even now (10.12) , easy to get to work. No framebuffer. ID patching. .... as for AMD. Also they work with Chameleon bootloader, AMD for my knowledge needs Clover.

The bad is, that Apple ( and its hardware client NVIDA) dont use new + great Pascal GPU typ (GTX 10xx gpus). They dont work this time - perhaps never, if Apple dont buy / use this gpu from Nvidia.

So you can use Kepler or Maxwell(not always full compatible) type Nvidia Gpus. Avoid older, Fermi type gpus, they work but much more power consumption than Kepler, Maxwell.

Depending the videoeditor you use, OpenCL and/or Cuda accell works normally for editing or filter tasks in the videoeditor.

Just to clear this up, Maxwell works flawlessly with the nVidia Web Drivers since 10.10. My 960 was working great on 10.10 before I went back to Mavericks. My R9 270X works great OOB (for dual displays had to patch the framebuffer  like mitch said but other than that it works fine). The GTX 7xx series (Kepler) works OOB but Web Drivers can be used for increased functionality.

Best regards,

- Matt

• Like 1

Just to clear this up, Maxwell works flawlessly with the nVidia Web Drivers since 10.10. My 960 was working great on 10.10 before I went back to Mavericks. My R9 270X works great OOB (for dual displays had to patch the framebuffer  like mitch said but other than that it works fine). The GTX 7xx series (Kepler) works OOB but Web Drivers can be used for increased functionality.

Best regards,

- Matt

If I understand correctly, Maxwell card are my best bet? I've heard that the GTX 1000 series is a no go for Hackintoshes at the moment. I was perhaps looking at the GTX 980Ti or 2 GTX 980's in SLI. Will these cards satisfy my 4k @ 60Hz dilemma? Need to buy something soon. I have deadlines to meet...

If I understand correctly, Maxwell card are my best bet? I've heard that the GTX 1000 series is a no go for Hackintoshes at the moment. I was perhaps looking at the GTX 980Ti or 2 GTX 980's in SLI. Will these cards satisfy my 4k @ 60Hz dilemma? Need to buy something soon. I have deadlines to meet...

If you need something that powerful go for a Titan X 12G-P4-2990-RX (Maxwell, not Pascal!). Right now they're going for about $600-$700 USD (maxwell) vs. $1300+ USD (pascal). Stupid that they decided to choose the same name...

Otherwise, you may run into some issues with dual cards... or it'll at least be more of a hassle to set up. 

If you need something that powerful go for a Titan X 12G-P4-2990-RX (Maxwell, not Pascal!). Right now they're going for about $600-$700 USD (maxwell) vs. $1300+ USD (pascal). Stupid that they decided to choose the same name...

Otherwise, you may run into some issues with dual cards... or it'll at least be more of a hassle to set up. 

Hmm, I see. I'd looked into the Titan X earlier. Everywhere I see at least a $1500 price tag. Only time its below $1000 is when its refurbished(which is a big no-no). Could it be that I am looking at the Pascal to see such a hefty pricetag? I tried googling the model number you gave above(Titan X 12G-P4-2990-RX), and got the same results as far as price goes. Could you maybe provide a link, if its not asking too much?

Also, does it matter what brand of Titan X? Like would I have to get EVGA, Nvidia, etc. Most of what I see for sell is the EVGA branded one, which is ok i guess. Ive always been one to go with the reference model though.

As for what I am using now, it was a GTX 980 reference card, but watercooled. It died just recently after working great for years, for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Hmm, I see. I'd looked into the Titan X earlier. Everywhere I see at least a $1500 price tag. Only time its below $1000 is when its refurbished(which is a big no-no). Could it be that I am looking at the Pascal to see such a hefty pricetag? I tried googling the model number you gave above(Titan X 12G-P4-2990-RX), and got the same results as far as price goes. Could you maybe provide a link, if its not asking too much?

Also, does it matter what brand of Titan X? Like would I have to get EVGA, Nvidia, etc. Most of what I see for sell is the EVGA branded one, which is ok i guess. Ive always been one to go with the reference model though.

As for what I am using now, it was a GTX 980 reference card, but watercooled. It died just recently after working great for years, for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1312.R1.TR11.TRC4.A0.H0.Xtitan.TRS1&_nkw=Titan+X+12gb&_sacat=27386

You'll just have to sift thru whether or not its Pascal or Maxwell. Earlier today, I bid on one for $600, but someone wanted it more and won it for $610.

In the process of updating my CPU/GPU/Motherboard, so I'll be selling those soon.

Nothing I should be worried about buying used? Ive always been skeptical about buying any computer parts used. Just don't want a premature death.

I found a PNY Titan X on amazon for just over $1k. I wanted to know if there is some definitive difference between cards when it comes to brand. For example, is there some benefit I get for buying an EVGA Titan X over a PNY Titan X? The prices seem to indicate such. I'm talking about standard clock speed by the way, no Superclocked or Hydro Copper cards, I know those have different features built in.

Nothing I should be worried about buying used? Ive always been skeptical about buying any computer parts used. Just don't want a premature death.

I found a PNY Titan X on amazon for just over $1k. I wanted to know if there is some definitive difference between cards when it comes to brand. For example, is there some benefit I get for buying an EVGA Titan X over a PNY Titan X? The prices seem to indicate such. I'm talking about standard clock speed by the way, no Superclocked or Hydro Copper cards, I know those have different features built in.

Well, this comment is sure to spark some fanboyism ;) There are 3 main differences between manufacturers. Number one, the most obvious is the cooling solution. Each manufacturer has their own 'cooling brand'. MSI has Twin Frozr, ASUS has DirectCU and Gigabyte has Windforce, etc. They all perform about the same unless you go for one with a waterblock. Number two is the clock speed. Most GPU manufacturers overclock their cards from the factory. Some manufacturers OC their cards more than others. Anyways, the third difference is a bit more subtle. Occasionally, manufacturers use a custom PCB on their cards to support their coolers. MSI did this for their GTX 950 so that it could support their Twin Frozr cooling system.

So, there are the differences. Compare the two specs wise and see which you like best for the price.

EDIT: As for buying used, don't worry about it. See the second PC in my sig, it was built with a used motherboard, used CPU, used HDD and it runs great and has been for about a year now. I had a few complications a little while ago (a cheap chinese PSU burnt out my motherboard and I had to get a different one, but with a decent PSU it's all good.) But for something like a GPU? Don't sweat, it'll be fine as long as the seller is reputable.

Best regards,

- Matt

Well, this comment is sure to spark some fanboyism ;) There are 3 main differences between manufacturers. Number one, the most obvious is the cooling solution. Each manufacturer has their own 'cooling brand'. MSI has Twin Frozr, ASUS has DirectCU and Gigabyte has Windforce, etc. They all perform about the same unless you go for one with a waterblock. Number two is the clock speed. Most GPU manufacturers overclock their cards from the factory. Some manufacturers OC their cards more than others. Anyways, the third difference is a bit more subtle. Occasionally, manufacturers use a custom PCB on their cards to support their coolers. MSI did this for their GTX 950 so that it could support their Twin Frozr cooling system.

So, there are the differences. Compare the two specs wise and see which you like best for the price.

EDIT: As for buying used, don't worry about it. See the second PC in my sig, it was built with a used motherboard, used CPU, used HDD and it runs great and has been for about a year now. I had a few complications a little while ago (a cheap chinese PSU burnt out my motherboard and I had to get a different one, but with a decent PSU it's all good.) But for something like a GPU? Don't sweat, it'll be fine as long as the seller is reputable.

Best regards,

- Matt

I see, I guess its just my pessimistic obsessive compulsive side which makes me want to have new all the time. Some of these prices are outrageous for new Titan X's from bigger name manufactures(like $3k). From what I understand that's several times more than original MSRP, so my obsessive compulsive side may have to just be unhappy for the sake of my wallets happiness :lol: Even so, I gotta ask. Why is a new PNY Titan X so much cheaper? The card looks identical to the Nvidia reference model. Is there something I should be aware of specifically when getting the GPUs that PNY has redone? I read that Zotac GPUs aren't able to get BIOS updates, for example.

Honestly as far as things you should be aware of, apart from the blower style cooler which is rubbish I can't think of anything. The price difference is just people being greedy I suppose.