everything except Ethernet works, cant find kext

kuroonikenta

13 posts in this topic

so, the computer I'm running is a dell xps 8300 and i just upgraded to sierra. it ran yosemite for about 2 years just fine. I upgraded to Sierra and everything is working on my hackintosh, I repeat everything except for Ethernet. On Yosemite the only way i could get Ethernet working is by running "all in one Ethernet solution", I tried on the off chance that it might still work and when i run it, it goes through the hole schpeel and then says "The system extension DirectHW.kext is not compatible with this version of OS X and can't be used" and nothing changes, I am pretty sure its just out of date and i cant find an up to date version of the kext's, which I don't know what exact kext to use. Does anyone have any idea's of a tool or kext that will work for my hackintosh?

I have a Broadcom Ethernet card built into my motherboard btw, not sure what exact one though, and yes i also have a dual boot of windows 10 if anyone wants to help me figure out what EXACT broadom ethernet chipset i have using windows 10

oh and PS: the main reason why I'm still using a dell xps 8300 is because I'm too poor to be able to afford to buy a legit mac or build a new Hackintosh. Hey, I'm a starving student, cut me some slack.

This thread looks promising failing that surely you have a spare $20 to buy add-in pci-e network card get something based on the realtek 8111 chipset check the thread for that card family by Meize the programmer of the .kext for list of supported chipsets if you go that route.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/247470-bcm5722-bcm5754m-bcm5755m-bcm5787m-and-bcm5906m-nic-driver-3264-bit/page-11

This thread looks promising failing that surely you have a spare $20 to buy add-in pci-e network card get something based on the realtek 8111 chipset check the thread for that card family by Meize the programmer of the .kext for list of supported chipsets if you go that route. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/247470-bcm5722-bcm5754m-bcm5755m-bcm5787m-and-bcm5906m-nic-driver-3264-bit/page-11

i looked at that link and its to out of date, most posts are about yosemite, with a few el capitan, I may just go ahead and buy a ethernet card like you said. Im pretty sure your right so im going to order a card. specifically this one

That should just work unless they have removed support for it in OSX and just because the driver is old does not mean it will not work for that linked .kext sometimes it is just a matter of editing the Info.plist to change the highest supported OS. Damn now I mention that might work for the one you have now.

That should just work unless they have removed support for it in OSX and just because the driver is old does not mean it will not work for that linked .kext sometimes it is just a matter of editing the Info.plist to change the highest supported OS. Damn now I mention that might work for the one you have now.

the problem with that is i cant actually get to the kext its self, its locked inside a MPKG file and when i try to extract it, nothing works. I found a native Ethernet card that i linked above that actually works in a mac pro (granted the old silver ones) but the comments says it works sierra so i should be good, and since its native i shouldn't have to worry about it needing drivers at all. I should also add that the card i had before gave me some issues due to the driver i was using in Yosemite only being a quick slap together. (for example i couldnt see ANY other computer on the network, but they could see me)

the problem with that is i cant actually get to the kext its self, its locked inside a MPKG file and when i try to extract it, nothing works. I found a native Ethernet card that i linked above that actually works in a mac pro (granted the old silver ones) but the comments says it works sierra so i should be good, and since its native i shouldn't have to worry about it needing drivers at all. I should also add that the card i had before gave me some issues due to the driver i was using in Yosemite only being a quick slap together. (for example i couldnt see ANY other computer on the network, but they could see me)

Pacifist allows you to mount package files and extract the files within it if you want to try, but you are probably better off with the add-in. I had that card in the first motherboard I ran OSX on many years ago and as you say it worked out of the box.

have you tried faking device lan id in clover with 0x14e41686 for your onboard lan if its a BCM57788 or editing  IONetworkingFamily.kext/ AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext there are other device id's in the kext plist you can try also.

if you run DPCImanager it would tell you the device id for your hardware. I am not sure if this is the one your machine has 

Broadcom NetLink BCM57788 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:1691]

have you tried faking device lan id in clover with 0x14e41686 for your onboard lan if its a BCM57788 or editing  IONetworkingFamily.kext/ AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext there are other device id's in the kext plist you can try also.

if you run DPCImanager it would tell you the device id for your hardware. I am not sure if this is the one your machine has 

Broadcom NetLink BCM57788 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:1691]

ill consider that, but i decided to order this card to see if it works, its the right chipset, people have said in the reviews it works with a dell xps 8300, and I like the idea of having 2 ethernet ports instead of 1. if I cant get it working, ill try your solution

I think you can solve your issue using Fakepciid. kext in conjunction with FakePCIID_BCM57XX_as_BCM57765.kext

like i said, ill keep this in mind, but with the card i baught, im hopping it will just work, so next time i have to update i dont have to do as much work (yes im a little lazy, so sue me...) plus i have a windows laptop (i wanna replace it with a macbook pro, even with the fact its got 24gb of ram) and id like to be able to hook it up to my hackintosh via crossover cable with the 2nd port