Can't change display resolution in macOS Sierra on VMware

19 posts in this topic

I've updated to macOS Sierra on VMware Workstation v12.5. I've installed the latest VMware Tools "darwin.iso" v8.5.0 but I'm still unable to change my resolution from 1024x768. I searched the forum and can't seem to find anyone having this issue so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I can check. Sound is working fine.

Thanks in advance!

***EDIT***

I found a fix for this issue.

- Install VMware Tools

- Reboot

- Open terminal
- Run this command
/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/vmware-resolutionSet 1920 1080

You can change the '1920 1080' to whatever resolution you need.

Now your display resolution will remain that size even after you reboot.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

When I tried to change the resolution using the above method I receive an error saying "command not found"

CrazyEyes-Mac:~ crazyeye$ ls -la  /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/
total 1184
drwxr-xr-x  19 root  wheel     646 Nov 20  2014 .
drwxr-xr-x  11 root  admin     374 Apr 18 22:35 ..
drwxr-xr-x  11 root  wheel     374 Nov 20  2014 Frameworks
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel     170 Nov 20  2014 Plugins
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel     102 Apr 18 22:36 Uninstall VMware Tools.app
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   10523 Nov 20  2014 VMware Tools Problem Reporter.tool
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    3726 Nov 20  2014 poweroff-vm-default
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    3726 Nov 20  2014 poweron-vm-default
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    3726 Nov 20  2014 resume-vm-default
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel     102 Nov 20  2014 scripts
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    2320 Nov 20  2014 services.sh
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel     840 Nov 20  2014 statechange.subr
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    3726 Nov 20  2014 suspend-vm-default
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel     102 Nov 20  2014 vmhgfs.kext
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  428048 Nov 20  2014 vmmemctl
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel     102 Nov 20  2014 vmmemctl.kext
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   18048 Nov 20  2014 vmware-softpowerop-helper
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   53344 Nov 20  2014 vmware-tools-cli
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   60944 Nov 20  2014 vmware-tools-daemon
CrazyEyes-Mac:~ crazyeye$

resolutionSet is not in the installed VMware Tools

I am using VMware Version 12.1.1 Build 3770994 with base OS being Windows 10 Professional Build 14393

I'm very confused and would appreciate any kind of help I could receive.

EDIT

Found the fix, turns out Sierra needs a special version of Vmware Tools

http://www.wikigain.com/install-vmware-tools-macos-sierra/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I run Yosemite on vmware 10.0.4 on Win 8.1. All run fine, i've just one issue with resolution, but just for boot screen and logon screen at 800X600. On the logoff screen there isnt the resolution issue. I've installed vmware tools but I don't remember version. would there be any solution?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/20/2018 at 1:32 AM, Ten13 said:

I had the same problem. So I wrote this "System Preferences" pane to help out:

https://github.com/MarLoe/VMware.PreferencePane

It is making use of "vmware-resolutionSet". So the VMware Tools mentioned above must be installed.

Hello mate, highly appreciated your work as this provides a nice solution. I've tried all the darwin.iso files that I could find but all did not seem to work (correctly). I know the tool was installed good and I have got a good display, it is just the resolution was wrong. I am on 10.13

To all it might relate to :D , make sure you have installed VMware Tools before running this Pref Pane.

• 5 months later...
On 2/19/2018 at 10:32 PM, Ten13 said:

It is making use of "vmware-resolutionSet". So the VMware Tools mentioned above must be installed.

It works fine for me. But we need to install all necessary tools in order to make it works. I also stuck when apply the PreferencePane it show an error. But no worry just https://pravin517.wordpress.com/2018/01/12/disable-system-integrity-proctection-in-macos/ and it good to go. Don't forget to press windows key + R during reboot the mac os for windows user. Anyway thanks for solution.

• 3 months later...
On 2/19/2018 at 8:32 AM, Ten13 said:

I recommend this as well. Worked like a charm for me.

I'm running MacOS Mojave on VMware Workstation Player 14.

8th gen Intel i5, 8gb ram.

Capture.PNG

• 8 months later...

running Catalina on HP EliteBook 840 G3 16 Gb RAM, SSD SATA Sandisk Ultra 512 Gb (2nd HDD) on VMware Player 15.5 with VMware Tools for Darwin installed

This command works:

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/vmware-resolutionSet 1920 1080

any other options did not work at all, this is the only one

10 hours ago, gabblgob said:

running Catalina on HP EliteBook 840 G3 16 Gb RAM, SSD SATA Sandisk Ultra 512 Gb (2nd HDD) on VMware Player 15.5 with VMware Tools for Darwin installed

This command works:

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/vmware-resolutionSet 1920 1080

any other options did not work at all, this is the only one

Please see THIS thread for a better, fuller (re)solution - read all of it:

Works for me! :)

So this is a bit of an old thread, but there is new and relevant news relating to Sierra.

There is a VMware-acknolwedged bug in the latest VMware Tools (version 11.0.0, pulled from Fusion 11.5) that prevents the kernel extensions from being used with macOS 10.11 & 10.12. As a result, it's not possible to get accelerated graphics or even adjustable resolutions with the latest Tools.

From the Fusion 11.5 release notes:

VMware Tools 11.0.0 kernel extensions can not be launched in macOS 10.11 or 10.12 virtual machine.

After installing VMware Tools 11.0.0 on macOS 10.11 or macOS 10.12 virtual machine, running the kextstat | grep vm command in Terminal shows that no VMware Tools kernel extension is launched inside the virtual machine. As a result, all VMware Tools functions are not available, the virtual machine's resolution can not fit to the size of the virtual machine window and shared folders feature does not work.

Workaround: Use VMware Tools 10.3.10 instead.

And this is what you'll get from the console if you try the newest tools.

Failed to load /Library/Extensions/VMwareGfx.kext - (libkern/kext) link error.

So if anyone else is having a problem, it's not just you! It's a straight-up bug in VMware. You'll need to use the previous version of Tools from Fusion 11.1 for the time being.

Presumably, VMware compiled against too new of an SDK here. They don't support 10.12 as a host anymore, so I'm wondering if they aren't just going to make these "legacy" guests, like 10.10 and earlier already are.

Edited by Nemes

Nemes, NO. Even if it is not supported as Host OS, this in no way means it is not supported as a Guest OS.

On my desktop PC with Windows 10 and VMware Workstation 15.0.3 here, my macOS Sierra VM works fine including resolutions. (cannot update to 15.5 easily, due to some VMware installer issues on that 1 PC).

On my laptop, I have latest VMware Workstation 15.5, and Sierra seems broken on my laptop for now, resolutions-wise.

I have fixed this on another VM, using the quoted steps.

I will try the same on my laptop now, and will let you know how it goes. :)

Edited by Naki

• 2 weeks later...

Nemes, OKay, I take that back! Sorry, you are indeed correct as my macOS 10.12.6 Sierra VM totally lost any presence/working of VMware Tools when I tried to update it to latest 64-bit Tools from Sept 2019!

Checking for the 3 running Kexts shows NONE of them 3 running at all - not just the Graphics KEXT missing, but all of them.

Now, to fix this, you and VMware seem to say/offer to go back to older VMware Tools 10.3.10 version, which supposedly still works fine on macOS Sierra VMs.

However, problem now is I cannot find any such VMware Tools version in the location I usually look in at all! 

I mean the Fusion Tools downloads, see here: http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/

There are lots of 11.x versions, and many 10.0 and 10.1.x, plus there are older 8.x versions but NO 10.3.x versions listed at all, nor any 10.2.x ones too.

Now what, please? :huh: Where can I find the mentioned Tools version, please?

Edited by Naki

• 1 month later...