Installing a El Capitan on Dell Alienware 15r2 - Skylake system

124 posts in this topic

I'm here,

I've plugged hdmi already, doesn't work.

I've talked with Rehabman and he answered me that my laptop don't have optimus so I have to reasearch to ask help for my graphic card.

For example: When I want to start with nvidia, why, in verbose mode, I see "IGPU..." etc... I've checked to nvidia inject doesn't work, insert device id of nvidia (found in system configuration) in ig-platform doesn't work (blackscreen after verbose)

F

Gents, here are the most up to date files, so to summarize:

What works:
-Intel HD530 with full acceleration (Note: to remove the upper left glitch the nvidia Card has to be disabled)
-Nvidia 980m GTX (for HDMI Video out)
-Webcam
-All USBs (the USB near the audio jack only works with USB 3.0 devices and it won't detect USB 2.0 devices)
-Sleep/Wake (I believe wake works only when the nvidia Graphics is enabled)
-Audio (mic, Speakers, audio jack, audio after wake from sleep, volume control).
-Boot From Nvme (I have the Samsung Nvme PM950 256 Gb)
-SpeedStep/CPU
-Ethernet Killer E2400
-Brightness Control (Only on internal screen with HD530)
-Keyboard+Trackpad (now trackpad preference panel is properly displayed and tap-to-click is working)
-Battery
-Full System Recognition

What doesn't work:
-HDMI Audio

Important Note:
-My display is a Full HD panel. UHD panels will required additional patches.
-If you are using the EFI for the Sierra Installer you can use it as is without modifications (don't use the kexts.zip). The kexts needed to boot are already in EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other
-Make sure that you are on Bios 1.3.6 (recommended) or 1.3.9
-Bios options:

-In Advanced Menu: VT for Direct I/O disabled
-In Advanced Menu: Sata Operation AHCI
-In Boot Menu: Boot List Option UEFI
-In Boot Menu: Load Legacy Option Rom disabled
-The provided SSDT.aml in EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched is for an Intel 6820HK. If your CPU is different you have to generate yours with SSDTPRGEN (google it) and copy it over the one i provided.
-The provided SSDT-11.aml is for a Nvidia 980m GTX. You can try it even if you have a different one. If it doesn't work (970m or 965m) you may have to extract your own table.

-If you are using the files on a system with Sierra installed read the How To Use below

Notes:
-I just tested these files in a USB drive to boot to the installer and it works
-I also tested it to boot into Sierra Nvme drive and it works

How to use (for a system with Sierra Installed):
-Delete any kexts that you installed so far from S/L/E
-Delete your Clover folder in EFI (if you already installed Clover) and copy the new EFI Folder there
-Install the provided kexts into S/L/E (with Kext Utility or similar)
-Install the latest Nvidia Web Drivers
-Delete the kexts IONVMeFamily.kext and FakeSMC.kext from EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other (the required patches are already included in Config.plist). You may need additional patches for Wifi/Bluetooth depending on what you have. If you have a Broadcom BCM94352Z 802.11ac WIFI Card For Lenovo Y50-80 Y50-70 Touch 04X6020 i can provide the patches separately.
-Update the config.plist file (easier with Plist editor or Clover Configurator):
-Remove nv_disable=1 from the boot arguments and put nvda_drv=1
-In SystemParameters put NvidiaWeb to Yes
Rebuild your caches and reboot.

Please test and report.

EFI.zip

Kexts.zip

• Like 1

Hi Slayer, thank you!

I followed your guide.

I've already installed Nvidia driver.

Now I've problem with my keyboard, like "alt+space bar" for spotlight, now is windows-spacebar.

My processor called Intel i7 processor with corrected frequency, it work (what I did with ssdtPRGen), but don't work my Atheros E2400 and graphic Card nvidia 980M and audio (it worked with before EFI).

I putted in nvda_drv=1.

Maybe because I've recently installed nvidia cuda? or I should reinstall a new Sierra (I do not think 'cause I've not installed much more, 'cause I haven't internet)?

For example, as your difference, at boot I need to have PS2SmartTrackpad for boot for use trackpad in installation of Sierra.

F

Hi Slayer, thank you!

I followed your guide.

I've already installed Nvidia driver.

Now I've problem with my keyboard, like "alt+space bar" for spotlight, now is windows-spacebar.

My processor called Intel i7 processor with corrected frequency, it work (what I did with ssdtPRGen), but don't work my Atheros E2400 and graphic Card nvidia 980M and audio (it worked with before EFI).

I putted in nvda_drv=1.

Maybe because I've recently installed nvidia cuda? or I should reinstall a new Sierra (I do not think 'cause I've not installed much more, 'cause I haven't internet)?

For example, as your difference, at boot I need to have PS2SmartTrackpad for boot for use trackpad in installation of Sierra.

F

-Windows+Sidebar is not a problem, that's the way it should be ;) But you can change it the way you want from the Keyboard Preference Panel

-For the Atheros i have no idea why its not working, you may try to ask Mieze as i suggested before

-For the Nvidia Web Drivers: -Download the latest Nvidia Web Drivers from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312525-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-11032016/

-Make sure to put Nvidia Web Drivers (in the Nvidia control Panel) but don't reboot

-Make sure that you have Nvidia Web Checked in Clover Configurator/System Preferences/Nvidia Web

Then reboot. It should work.

-Windows+Sidebar is not a problem, that's the way it should be ;) But you can change it the way you want from the Keyboard Preference Panel

-For the Atheros i have no idea why its not working, you may try to ask Mieze as i suggested before

-For the Nvidia Web Drivers: -Download the latest Nvidia Web Drivers from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312525-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-11032016/

-Make sure to put Nvidia Web Drivers (in the Nvidia control Panel) but don't reboot

-Make sure that you have Nvidia Web Checked in Clover Configurator/System Preferences/Nvidia Web

Then reboot. It should work.

Tried, doesn't work :(

tried with nvidia Nvidia Web Driver - 367.15.10.15f03 

@DriveTheOne By any chance, do you Have Integrated NIC - Disabled in your Bios options ?

Came accross this during my experiments with El Capitan and it will disable your Ethernet as well.

Double check that just in case...

Nope, it seem able to work in bios but not in OSX,

Maybe is it a problem during installation? Maybe I need (or edit) a kext to able a port to ethernet integrated port?

'Cause, the left usb (one close to jack port) don't work, isn't a problem that affect ethernet/graphic card?

Now I can post.

Well it seem that the reason is whether check drop oem or uncheck drop oem.

Using slayer2333 EFI

-Check Drop OEM you will face a USB remote wake issue.

-Uncheck Drop OEM you will face a nanoseconds issue. 

Not sure the reason why, it would be more simple if Slayer2333 just share exactly the settings on the bios and the configuration he have

(Which type of ram, frequency, which storage, how much of them, etc...) to check where it fail.

@Drivetheone

I took a look at your EFI and the one from Slayer2333, and made a new one combined more stable for install and after install.

I will update this post after uploading all the files but you need to know that you should install step by step.

-Be sure to install macOS Sierra with EFI for Install

-After booting on MacOS open the terminal and insert the 4K command (for your 4K Panel)

-Replace the EFI for Install with the EFI after Install

-Reboot 

-Install NVIDIA drivers

-Reboot

-Last, inject kexts for the kexts folder (kext utility maybe ?)

-Reboot

-Done 

What work

980M/970M Hardware acceleration when the APP has the ability to call it (deviceCLGL) with internal screen

(most Cuda compatible APP can take it in consideration)

Despite what people said, Optimus alternative can work (Processed data dGPU and iGPU output them draw to the internal screen) but still need work

HD 530 full hardware acceleration 

Ethernet Lan

Sound despite being low

Brightness/Sound control using system preferences (Display brightness control and sound control)

Output to internal speaker

Thunderbolt 3/USB-c seem to work without problem

Bluetooth 

Sleep/Wake

Mic

HDMI audio

4K Panel (with 4K command included on the zip, command based on http://www.insanelym...ll#entry2245653 by Darkvoid)

AG Port should work

What doesn't work

Well still Intel Glitch Left Top Corner

USB 3.0 doesn't properly work, seem one of the usb is not well recognise and also USB 3.0 is not full speed

it should show up 5Gb but show 480m/s 

USB 3.0 accessories doesn't work 

Fn +Fx keyboard functions (for brightness/sound etc...)

Wifi

SD Card reader

Now I can post.

Well it seem that the reason is whether check drop oem or uncheck drop oem.

Using slayer2333 EFI

-Check Drop OEM you will face a USB remote wake issue.

-Uncheck Drop OEM you will face a nanoseconds issue. 

Not sure the reason why, it would be more simple if Slayer2333 just share exactly the settings on the bios and the configuration he have

(Which type of ram, frequency, which storage, how much of them, etc...) to check where it fail.

@Drivetheone

I took a look at your EFI and the one from Slayer2333, and made a new one combined more stable for install and after install.

I will update this post after uploading all the files but you need to know that you should install step by step.

-Be sure to install macOS Sierra with EFI for Install

-After booting on MacOS open the terminal and insert the 4K command (for your 4K Panel)

-Replace the EFI for Install with the EFI after Install

-Reboot 

-Install NVIDIA drivers

-Reboot

-Last, inject kexts for the kexts folder (kext utility maybe ?)

-Reboot

-Done 

What work

980M/970M Hardware acceleration when the APP has the ability to call it (deviceCLGL) with internal screen

(most Cuda compatible APP can take it in consideration)

Despite what people said, Optimus alternative can work (Processed data dGPU and iGPU output them draw to the internal screen) but still need work

HD 530 full hardware acceleration 

Ethernet Lan

Sound despite being low

Brightness/Sound control using system preferences (Display brightness control and sound control)

Output to internal speaker

Thunderbolt 3/USB-c seem to work without problem

Bluetooth 

Sleep/Wake

Mic

HDMI audio

4K Panel (with 4K command included on the zip, command based on http://www.insanelym...ll#entry2245653 by Darkvoid)

AG Port should work

What doesn't work

Well still Intel Glitch Left Top Corner

USB 3.0 doesn't properly work, seem one of the usb is not well recognise and also USB 3.0 is not full speed

it should show up 5Gb but show 480m/s 

USB 3.0 accessories doesn't work 

Fn +Fx keyboard functions (for brightness/sound etc...)

Wifi

SD Card reader

You were able to fix HDMI audio or is it a typo ?

Yeah please provide me with all the files you are using to get HDMI audio working. Right now i am using prema Vbios but i can get back to stock one for testing. Let me know.

Here's the kext, just inject it with kext utility or similar. 

It should work. 

Careful with prema vbios, there is some hdmi issues. 

kext.zip

Thanks for the file provided, i suspected the file to be this one and i already tested it but it doesn't work (i will try again now), so just wanted to confirm a few things if possible:

-Are you using the EFI folder that i provided here (post 78) ?

-Are you using the HDMI connection or the thunderbolt one?

-What Vbios are you using to get HDMI audio working?

Let me know.

Thanks for the file provided, i suspected the file to be this one and i already tested it but it doesn't work (i will try again now), so just wanted to confirm a few things if possible:

-Are you using the EFI folder that i provided here (post 78) ?

-Are you using the HDMI connection or the thunderbolt one?

-What Vbios are you using to get HDMI audio working?

Let me know.

No I made a new one, I use the ACPI/Patch files from DriveTheOne as they are more stable than yours... not sure why, need to take a clear look when I have more time.

I use the kext from yours efi and previous kext I was using for most stability.

Basically a mix of everything and own. 

I don't use the HDMI for now one has I was facing outputting issue (kernel panic) while I try to use hardware acceleration for Internal screen

but so far I had the sound with HDMI Audio and Original Vbios 

I did try the usb-c/thunderbolt port with a TB3 Dock and Usb-C dock without any problem.

I will upload my on EFI folders + Kext but I don't it would help you that much as you have been using a more complete one with your own

DSDT-SSDT 

Ok Slayer333 update on your last EFI/Kexts share, it seem that the problem is not the SSDT files but the DSDT only that look like corrupted.

Can you do a double check on it and be sure you shared the right one, because the one from DriveTheOne work without any problem.

I already tried the USBInjectAll, doesn't work or should I inject with Kext Utility, don't really like to install in S/L co... because you can

easily have a kernel panic. 

Ok Slayer333 update on your last EFI/Kexts share, it seem that the problem is not the SSDT files but the DSDT only that look like corrupted.

Can you do a double check on it and be sure you shared the right one, because the one from DriveTheOne work without any problem.

I already tried the USBInjectAll, doesn't work or should I inject with Kext Utility, don't really like to install in S/L co... because you can

easily have a kernel panic. 

Yeah all the ones i shared are correct (at least for me they work properly and i'm keeping a copy of them).  Just keep in mind that my ACPI tables were decompiled along with the remaining SSDTs so they are inter-dependant.

Also, i maintained consistency in my modifications (e.g. if i do GFX0-> IGPU in the DSDT i replicate the same thing on the remaining ACPI tables).  So i would advise against taking only one AML and use it with you files.

And last thing, i am sharing the kexts because they are tested and working properly, reason why i never put them in /EFI/Clover/Kexts.  The things that would make them unusable:

-Different hardware (mostly SSD type)

-Different Screen resolution (as you stated, additional patches to perform)

-Previously installed kexts that are conflicting with mine.

-Different Bios version ( i always advise for 1.3.6).  Bios ver 1.3.9 also works but it is not tested enough for now.

See what you can do, but as i said, all the shared documents are correct.

Yeah all the ones i shared are correct (at least for me they work properly and i'm keeping a copy of them).  Just keep in mind that my ACPI tables were decompiled along with the remaining SSDTs so they are inter-dependant.

Also, i maintained consistency in my modifications (e.g. if i do GFX0-> IGPU in the DSDT i replicate the same thing on the remaining ACPI tables).  So i would advise against taking only one AML and use it with you files.

And last thing, i am sharing the kexts because they are tested and working properly, reason why i never put them in /EFI/Clover/Kexts.  The things that would make them unusable:

-Different hardware (mostly SSD type)

-Different Screen resolution (as you stated, additional patches to perform)

-Previously installed kexts that are conflicting with mine.

-Different Bios version ( i always advise for 1.3.6).  Bios ver 1.3.9 also works but it is not tested enough for now.

See what you can do, but as i said, all the shared documents are correct.

Well actually you can drop functions, no necessarily needed but it doesn't matter.

What I said is that, I've taken a deep look at the last DSDT you share and something wrong is going on, DriveTheOne has faced the same issues.

I will check more to see where exactly things goes wrong but if you need capture screen of the nanoseconds and remote wake issues, I can show you.

Could be due to different hardware (Ram/Hard Drive) 

Doubt is due to the resolution

Previously kexts doesn't conflict with yours, because even your own kexts or your own SSDT has no impact on your DSDT that make the conflict for everything.

Doesn't matter which bios you use, it doesn't change anything here. 

Yours = IGPU not sure why and the one from DriveTheOne and me are GFX0 (There is a specific reason why GFX0 is needed on the Alienware) 

This already made a load conflict code... check your SSDT7, 11 and DSDT... I how to use them, I just tell you this is also the reason of conflict, check again from the last one to the previous you have shared.

Like I said there is as reason why your DSDT doesn't properly work on other Alienware

If you check your previous all your EFI = IGPU, you should have saying it that you are using IGPU instead of GFX0. Actually GFX0 work way better and make less conflict in the code

than the IGPU, remember all are soldered CPU/GPU/GPU on the Alienware so it doesn't matter.

I still wonder why you choose IGPU instead of leaving GFX0 ? (I change them to GFX0 and boot without issues, put them back to IGPU and it fail miserably)

Update : You see this EFI and kexts that you shared on 23 October work way better than the one you share with me or the last one you share in public.

The previous EFI/Kexts (23 October) was with GFX0, while you change to IGPU for the 2 last one.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312131-installing-a-el-capitan-on-dell-alienware-15r2-skylake-system/page-3

The way Windows and Mac read the ACPI tables is different, that's why we have to correct the errors in the ACPI tables whereas Windows works perfectly fine without doing so (parts of the errors are caused by the compilation/recompilation process as well).  If you take a closer look at the DSDT (search for 'Windows') you will see that there is an INI method which sets the working conditions of your hardware depending on what OS is used.  You can also see in that same method that MacOs is not part of them (there are Windows versions from 2009 to 2015 and Linux), which again means that these ACPI tables were not designed to work on MacOs.

Now the reason for the renaming is related to that, MacOsx doesn't interpret the devices names the same way than Windows or Linux.  Fox example, while Windows may take GFX0 in the DSDT as the Intel integrated Graphics, OSX interprets the same Device as a discrete graphic card.

In OSX, for most platforms (Imac, Macbook Pro or MacMini):

-IGPU stands for the integrated graphics (Intel)

-GFX0 (or sometimes GFX1) stands for the discrete graphic card

Other examples include renaming the USB devices to make them work properly on Os X (e.g. EHCx->EH0x).

Doing this renaming (for IGPU and GFX0) allows Os X to properly detect your hardware, and part of the benefits is that The Graphic Power Management will work properly as well (AppleGraphicPowerManagement.kext may not load otherwise).

So now we are getting to the problem where these files work on my hardware but not on yours.  Yes please attach your Nanoseconds verbose and your boot log to see where the problem is.

Also please let me know what Bios version you are using.

Were you able to get Sierra to boot on other Bios versions (e.g. 1.2.2) using DriveTheOne Files or yours ?

Slayer2333

I know about this, I just said why this change GFX0 to IGPU while your previous DSDT/SSDT with GFX0 has always worked without any problem in this case (See the previous link).

Like I said, I don't think is necessary to change to IGPU while GFX0 work on the Alienware without any issue, the GFX0 is working for IGPU and DGPU because they are sharing

the same controller and they are definite as GFX0@0 and GFX0@2 under PEG0/PCI0, again both use the same controller, NVIDIA GPU to INTEL GPU to FrameBuffer - Draw. 

GFX0 stand for both GPU in this case, IGPU and DGPU, as I said there multi layer around GFX0 definite by @ (on top of SB)

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/GFX0@2/AppleIntelFramebuffer@0/AGPM

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/NVDA,Display-A@0/NVDA/AGPM

The reason why OSX interpret as a DGPU it is because it is a some sort of DGPU, taking care of how the NV is sending data to the SB/Controller

so of course it is the only for internal screen, same even with external one but in this case there is no processing from the Intel GPU, only output signal 

Also as I previously said, you can an hardware acceleration from the NVIDIA GPU without the need of Optimus.

Simply need a call function or app that will ask the NVIDIA GPU to take care of the data off screen, the INTEL GPU will simply deal with the outputting to internal screen.

I repeat but there is no need of IGPU on the case of the type of adopted soldered solution and controller for the Alienware (basically

the Alienware is like a MacBook, same type of board)

Both 1.3.6 - 1.3.9 fail anyway. 

I will show you the nanoseconds and remote wake problem but as I said there also other problem on the DSDT and you have

the same exact Alienware than me, probably something is missing but IGPU again no needed, if I change to GFX0 I don't have the problem.

Download your on EFI/Kexts and try it if you can, I'm pretty sure it would happen to you, maybe you forget something, it was well compiled ? no error nothing ?

Slayer2333

I know about this, I just said why this change GFX0 to IGPU while your previous DSDT/SSDT with GFX0 has always worked without any problem in this case (See the previous link).

Like I said, I don't think is necessary to change to IGPU while GFX0 work on the Alienware without any issue, the GFX0 is working for IGPU and DGPU because they are sharing

the same controller and they are definite as GFX0@0 and GFX0@2 under PEG0/PCI0, again both use the same controller, NVIDIA GPU to INTEL GPU to FrameBuffer - Draw. 

GFX0 stand for both GPU in this case, IGPU and DGPU, as I said there multi layer around GFX0 definite by @ (on top of SB)

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/GFX0@2/AppleIntelFramebuffer@0/AGPM

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEG0@1/IOPP/GFX0@0/NVDA,Display-A@0/NVDA/AGPM

The reason why OSX interpret as a DGPU it is because it is a some sort of DGPU, taking care of how the NV is sending data to the SB/Controller

so of course it is the only for internal screen, same even with external one but in this case there is no processing from the Intel GPU, only output signal 

Also as I previously said, you can an hardware acceleration from the NVIDIA GPU without the need of Optimus.

Simply need a call function or app that will ask the NVIDIA GPU to take care of the data off screen, the INTEL GPU will simply deal with the outputting to internal screen.

I repeat but there is no need of IGPU on the case of the type of adopted soldered solution and controller for the Alienware (basically

the Alienware is like a MacBook, same type of board)

Both 1.3.6 - 1.3.9 fail anyway. 

I will show you the nanoseconds and remote wake problem but as I said there also other problem on the DSDT and you have

the same exact Alienware than me, probably something is missing but IGPU again no needed, if I change to GFX0 I don't have the problem.

Download your on EFI/Kexts and try it if you can, I'm pretty sure it would happen to you, maybe you forget something, it was well compiled ? no error nothing ?

Every time i modify too much my EFI folder during testing i simply take the files i provided then just copy/paste them in the EFI partition and S/L/E.

Can you try something for me.

Boot to Sierra, copy my files (as is) over what you have.  Repair permissions/Rebuild Caches. Reboot

On reboot get into the Bios interface and restore defaults. Save/reboot.

Enter Bios again and make sure that That Oprom is disabled (in boot menu).  Also disable VT-D. Save/Reboot.

Right after,  boot to Windows then final reboot to Sierra.

On a side note, from what i understand you also renamed PEGP to GFX0 in the ACPI tables ?

Hey Slayer2333

It won't work, already tried everything, something is wrong somewhere.

Your last EFI/Kexts (IGPU) from previous page of November doesn't work

Mine with GFX0 work, the one from DriveTheOne and someone else GFX0 work.

The one from the page I previously show you EFI/Kexts (GFX0) work. 

It is whether a conflict with IGPU or something else, because it doesn't happen with GFX0.

Sorry for the quality of the nanoseconds, it reboot instantly after that.

Left pic is with Drop OEM, right without.

post-1222105-0-65520500-1480034862_thumb.jpg

post-1222105-0-28267400-1480034903_thumb.jpg