Clover wont Install to the hidden EFI Partition on SSD OSX Install

thehaus

13 posts in this topic

Update (4/25/16):

With the guidance of Slice, I was able to reset the flags on my EFI(disk0s1) partition. Now Clover installer/updater correctly mounts and updates the bootloader in the EFI partition.

1. I dowloaded the most current gparted (v2016) and there is now a new flag called ESP in addition to the boot flag on the disk0s1 EFI partition. 

2. Apparently, the older gparted (v2009-2010) I was using wasn't showing me all the flags on the partition. 

3. I double checked the technical specs for OSX EFI partitions and there is supposed to be those two flags (boot and ESP) when using gparted to view the drive. 

4. I turned both flags off and then rewrote them both back by turning them back on within gparted for the EFI partition (disk0s1). That seemed to do the trick. There may have been some data corruption on the boot sector area.

5. The most current version of clover installer/updater v3438 was able to now mount my EFI partition and update the bootloader correctly. The other possibility is that there was a slight change to the clover installer that resolved my drive mounting issue within the clover installer package. Either way, I am relieved.---------------------

I have been having issues with Clover (most current and slightly older versions) not wanting to install to my hidden EFI partition on my SSD OSX installation drive (disk0s1).

I didn't have this issue when i was running Yosemite. Clover updated as it should to my hidden EFI partition and I used UEFI boot without problem.

I decided to update my system to El Capitan doing a clean install. I wiped my SSD using Disk Utility. I first errased the drive, reformatted to a new partition (GUID HFS) and created my UEFI USB El Capitan loader. I installed El Capitan to the SSD without issue.

After installation, both the EFI and the OSX partition where created properly along with the recovery partition.

I rebooted using the UEFI USB and configured OSX after the welcome screen. I then tried to run the latest version of Clover for the UEFI installation and it failed as it couldn't open the EFI hidden partition and install the kexts and Clover. It basically failed to mount the EFI partition and install to the EFI partition. I even mounted the EFI partition on disk0s1 where my OSX install was on my SSD and it didnt create any files or folders in the partition. I did create an EFI folder with everything in my root OSX partition instead (very odd). I double and triple checked that i selected UEFI as I always do and that the drive was indeed the OSX SSD installation drive.

I manually mounted disk0s1 EFI partition and it had nothing from clover in it. 

I wiped the EFI partition and tried again without success.

I reloaded my GA-Z97MX Gaming5 firmware v6 again and it still failed to load clover into the EFI partition. It did create a EFI folder in my root directory for OSX with all the correct files but i couldn't boot to it using UEFI (YES- i was selecting UEFI from the menu, i have done this successfully on Mavericks and Yosemite many times before)

If I move the folder and files from the root EFI folder to the EFI partition, I can boot OSX using UEFI

I used gparted to reformat the SSD and try to do another fresh install of OSX again thinking that Disk Utility didn't get rid of all the old bootloader info. Clover couldn't mount the hidden EFI partition on disk0s1. I could do it manually though.

I manually mounted the EFI boot partition for my SSD and moved all the clover/mulitbeast files over there. I was able to again boot UEFI SSD El Capitan.

When I try to update clover, it doesn't open the hidden EFI partition or update the files in it. It does, however, create an EFi folder in my OSX root with the new Clover bootloader files there.

------------------------------------------------

Original post:

Background facts:

I have done this successfully many times with both Mavericks and Yosemite in the past using the Clover UEFI booloader

1. I clicked uefi

2. The hidden EFI partition exists on my SSD (disk0s1) OSX install

3. I tried reformatting the drive using gparted and Disk Utility as was outlined in the guides

4. I tried erasing just the EFI partition and changing the file structure

5. I reloaded my GA-Z97MX Gaming5 v6 firmware

6. I did check off the box for loading Clover as uefi

7. I told Clover to install into the ssd OS X drive (I doubled and triple checked this)

8. I booted everything using Uefi from both my F12 option and BIOS option - I don't Legacy boot

9. I tried the most recent versions of Clover. I also tried an older version of Clover for curiosity. 
----------------------

Nothing I do can seem to get Clover to load to the hidden EFI partition on my SSD OSX install (disk0s1)

Does anyone have an idea what I need to fix to get Clover to recognize, mount, open, and install to my EFI partition on my SSD (disk0s1)?

i tried all many of the older clover installers and none of them could mount the EFI partition. They all create an EFI folder in the root of the OS X partition.

I just reformatted my SSD again and tried a fresh install but no luck.

I ran terminal "diskutil list" and disk0s1 is EFI as it should be.

Here is my clover install log:

Clover EFI installer log - Tue Apr 12 19:14:33 PDT 2016

Installer version: v2.3k r3320 EFI bootloader
======================================================
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage El Capitan              255.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):
   0:                  Apple_HFS El Capitan             +254.8 GB   disk1
                                 Logical Volume on disk0s2
                                 87062435-B34A-4B60-87A5-BDF4C72E52A5
                                 Unencrypted
/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *16.0 GB    disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS El Capitan USB Insta... 15.7 GB    disk2s2
Installing BootSectors/BootLoader

Stage 0 - Don't write any of boot0af, boot0md, boot0ss to /
Stage 1 - Don't write any of boot1h2, boot1f32alt, boot1xalt to /

=========== Clover EFI Installation Finish ===========

Please read my first post so you understand that I formatted my drives properly, ran Clover properly, Check the terminal commands to check for proper mapping of OSX partitions. I also followed all the plist changes for SIP. IF that wasnt the case, my copy of OSX not only wouldn't install, it also wouldnt boot into OSX. This is not my issue.

In plist, among other minor changes, I set:

rootless=0

<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x3</string>
<key>BooterConfig</key>
<string>0x28</string>
</dict>

For curiosity, i reformatted my SSD again and loaded Yosemite to see if I could get Clover to install to the EFI partition and it couldn't. For some reason, Clover can't mount my EFI partition on my SSD no matter which OS version I load or which Clover version I use.

If i check or uncheck ESP in Clover, it always creates a EFI root folder in OSX. I have to move the contents over to the EFI partition manually to get UEFI functionality. It makes updating Clover a real pain every time I update Clover and should be automated in its functionality.

My SSD drive must have a flag set somewhere that makes Clover not mount the EFI partition. I have no issues mounting the EFI partition manually using Clover Configurator, EFI Mounter, and Terminal commands.

It doesn't seem due to the OS or the SSD drive partition formats and disk #'s

I reflashed my BIOS firmware many times also.

I tried to reflash my Crucial M4 SSD firmware but it says it is the latest and I cant make it repush the firmware.

Anyone else have any ideas how to get Clover to recognize and mount my EFI partition so it will load the booloader there automatically?

AFAIK rootless=0 doesn't work in 10.11, it's done through CsrActiveConfig (which you have). I would just try setting it to 0x67 instead of 0x3. See if that makes any difference. :)

FYI: You don't have to install Clover in the EFI for UEFI to work. In fact, I think it works better installed to / if your BIOS will support it. ;)

You also might want to try changing your Clover install from "CloverEFI 64-bits SATA" to "CloverEFI 64-bits BiosBlockIO". I know it makes a difference on the drives that are recognized by Clover on bootup for my system (Gigabyte X79-UD5).

• 2 weeks later...

Update (4/25/16):

With the guidance of Slice, I was able to reset the flags on my EFI(disk0s1) partition. Now Clover installer/updater correctly mounts and updates the bootloader in the EFI partition.

1. I dowloaded the most current gparted (v2016) and there is now a new flag called ESP in addition to the boot flag on the disk0s1 EFI partition.

2. Apparently, the older gparted (v2009-2010) I was using wasn't showing me all the flags on the partition. 

3. I double checked the technical specs for OSX EFI partitions and there is supposed to be those two flags (boot and ESP) when using gparted to view the drive.

4. I turned both flags off and then rewrote them both back by turning them back on within gparted for the EFI partition (disk0s1). That seemed to do the trick. There may have been some data corruption on the boot sector area.

5. The most current version of clover installer/updater v3438 was able to now mount my EFI partition and update the bootloader correctly. The other possibility is that there was a slight change to the clover installer that resolved my drive mounting issue within the clover installer package. Either way, I am relieved.

• 3 months later...

I have this issue as well, and have always had it since using Clover.

I can mount the EFI partition myself and copy the Clover files to it and boot from it without issue, but Clover never sees the partition itself when I choose Installation Location whether I have the EFI partition mounted or not.

I've checked the partition flags and both boot and ESP are set, but I haven't yet tried re-setting them yet (I had to use PARTED on the SysRescue live CD as the GPARTED live CD wouldn't boot for me)

I have this issue as well, and have always had it since using Clover.

I can mount the EFI partition myself and copy the Clover files to it and boot from it without issue, but Clover never sees the partition itself when I choose Installation Location whether I have the EFI partition mounted or not.

I've checked the partition flags and both boot and ESP are set, but I haven't yet tried re-setting them yet (I had to use PARTED on the SysRescue live CD as the GPARTED live CD wouldn't boot for me)

I am also having the same issue. What is odd to me is that the Clover installation was working correctly, but I reformatted the drive to start fresh and now I cannot get Clover to install my second time around. I've even went through GParted Live USB and reset the "ESP" and "Boot" flags but still can't get the machine to find it. I'm kicking myself now... :wallbash:

Edit: I had to have GParted Live on my USB as just the FAT partition type. FAT32, which it says is compatible, wouldn't boot it.

2nd Edit: Does your system have CoreStorage when you type out 'diskutil list' in Terminal?

2nd Edit: Does your system have CoreStorage when you type out 'diskutil list' in Terminal?

Apologies for the delay, have a guest visiting and not been at the comp much.

Just ran the command and no, CoreStorage is not mentioned. Here are my results:

[01:59][rob@iMac:~]$ diskutil list
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS MacPC                   499.1 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

The EFI partition is currently mounted and I can access it via Finder but the Clover installer doesn't see it. (Just tried the 3726 release)

Apologies for the delay, have a guest visiting and not been at the comp much.

Just ran the command and no, CoreStorage is not mentioned. Here are my results:

[01:59][rob@iMac:~]$ diskutil list
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS MacPC                   499.1 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

The EFI partition is currently mounted and I can access it via Finder but the Clover installer doesn't see it. (Just tried the 3726 release)

If you use this clover

there are no such problems with installation on the SSD or HDD.

post-617057-0-14349800-1472967881_thumb.jpg

SSD disk.

Clover EFI installer log - Sun Sep  4 09:40:44 OMST 2016
Installer version: v2.3k r3726 EFI bootloader
/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI UEFI                    209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OSX10.9.5               201.1 GB   disk0s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS PlextorArch             54.0 GB    disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *750.2 GB   disk1
   1:                       0x1C                         23.1 GB    disk1s1
   2:               Windows_NTFS OS                      187.5 GB   disk1s2
   3:               Windows_NTFS DATA                    539.5 GB   disk1s5
Backing up EFI files

Backing up stage2 file /Volumes/OSX10.9.5/EFIROOTDIR/boot  to /Volumes/OSX10.9.5/EFI-Backups/r3728/2016-09-04-09h40/boot
Backing up /Volumes/OSX10.9.5/EFIROOTDIR/EFI folder to /Volumes/OSX10.9.5/EFI-Backups/r3728/2016-09-04-09h40/EFI

Stage 2 - Written boot7 (x64) to /Volumes/ESP/boot
Installing RC Scripts

Installing RC scripts on target volume '/'

Activating /etc/rc.boot.d/70.disable_sleep_proxy_client.local rc script

================================================

0:723  0:000  Now is 4.9.2016,  4:6:24 (GMT)
0:723  0:000  Starting Clover revision: 3726 on CLOVER EFI
0:723  0:000  Build with: [Args: ./ebuild.sh -fr -D NO_GRUB_DRIVERS_EMBEDDED | Command: build -D NO_GRUB_DRIVERS_EMBEDDED -D USE_LOW_EBDA -p Clover/Clover.dsc -a X64 -b RELEASE -t XCODE5 -n 5 | OS: 10.12 | XCODE: 7.3.1]
0:723  0:000  SelfDevicePath=PcieRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\VenHw(CF31FAC5-C24E-11D2-85F3-00A0C93EC93B,80)\HD(1,GPT,F61211C5-87B9-4CDD-BE33-9DC9BD4A478E,0x28,0x64000) @1F44E698
0:723  0:000  SelfDirPath = \EFI\CLOVER

HDD disk.

Clover EFI installer log - Sun Sep  4 10:19:34 OMST 2016
Installer version: v2.3k r3726 EFI bootloader
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *240.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OS_X10.11.xssd          190.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS archssd                 48.9 GB    disk0s4

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS 12x                     499.6 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS arch12x                 499.6 GB   disk1s4

Backing up EFI files

Backing up stage2 file /Volumes/12x/EFIROOTDIR/boot  to /Volumes/12x/EFI-Backups/r3728/2016-09-04-10h19/boot
Backing up /Volumes/12x/EFIROOTDIR/EFI folder to /Volumes/12x/EFI-Backups/r3728/2016-09-04-10h19/EFI

Stage 2 - Written boot7 (x64) to /Volumes/ESP/boot
Installing RC Scripts

Installing RC scripts on target volume '/'

Activating /etc/rc.boot.d/70.disable_sleep_proxy_client.local rc script

0:834  0:000  Now is 4.9.2016,  4:24:17 (GMT)
0:834  0:000  Starting Clover revision: 3726 on CLOVER EFI
0:834  0:000  Build with: [Args: ./ebuild.sh -fr -D NO_GRUB_DRIVERS_EMBEDDED | Command: build -D NO_GRUB_DRIVERS_EMBEDDED -D USE_LOW_EBDA -p Clover/Clover.dsc -a X64 -b RELEASE -t XCODE5 -n 5 | OS: 10.12 | XCODE: 7.3.1]
0:834  0:000  SelfDevicePath=PcieRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\VenHw(CF31FAC5-C24E-11D2-85F3-00A0C93EC93B,80)\HD(1,GPT,FBA19309-7C18-433A-9A9C-33D50952839D,0x28,0x64000) @DD442098
0:834  0:000  SelfDirPath = \EFI\CLOVER

--EDIT Deleted everything.

*sigh* Was operator error. I was (wrongly) assuming that the EFI installer would appear in the list of drives which it wasn't. I had to choose the drive with the EFI partition. Then Select Customise and then Install clover in ESP for it to install on the EFI partition.

post-1462892-0-45227900-1472982868_thumb.png

post-1462892-0-58032300-1472982879_thumb.png

Edited by tarasis