Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 (First Hackintosh Install Progress)

mklein49

57 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

This is my first attempt at creating a mackintosh. I'd like to track my progress here in order to obtain help for roadblocks and document my success for others.

Here is a list of my relevant hardware:

• Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 (F5c beta bios)
  • Intel Core i7-6700k
  • No dedicated Graphics Card
  • Samsung 840 Pro SSD
  • Samsung 951 NVMe m.2 SSD

What I've done so far:

• Created USB installer via createinstallmedia method
  • Installed Clover to USB Stick
  • Configured config.plist based on vonmolk and hashish.k
  • Added the following kexts the 10.11 folder in clover
    • FakeSMC.kext
    • USBInjectAll.kext
  • Disabled IOAPIC Entries in BIOS per Pike's recommendation
  • Installed El Capitan 10.11.1 onto Samsung 840 Pro SSD Sata drive
  • Installed Clover to SSD
  • Copied the same config.plist and kexts used with the USB installer to EFI partition on SSD
  • Added AppleIGB.kext to SSD Kext folder

Hurdles overcome:

• Could not get passed "Still waiting for root device" error attempting to boot the installer form the usb 3.0 port with my usb stick
    • Moved USB stick to usb 2.0 header via USB port on case and installer came up
  • Installer hung at the "about 1 second remaining screen" for a number of minutes
    • Finally waiting long enough for the installer to reset
  • NIC did not work out of the box when booting into the installed OS, had to add the AppleIGB.kext

Current State:

• Able to boot to OS and use network on one NIC
  • I don't believe the integrated 530 graphics are working correctly
    • I have some screenshots attached that hopefully are useful
    • This is my first install, so I'm not really sure what to try next. I've looked at some of Pike's blog, but it's not clear to me what I need to do.
  • NVMe Drive is not recognized.
  • Extra UEFI Boot options are showing up in my bios after each restart
  • See a "getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x5e at boot time"
  • The screen gets corrupted at times
  • Network seems to start working after a few minutes

Untested:

• USB Ports
  • Performance of networking
  • Audio (HDMI to Monitor)

Help needed:

• Would love to get guidance how to get integrated graphics working properly
  • How to prevent extra UEFI Boot options from showing up

I realize there are detailed logs or log messages that may be useful. I'll update with ones that I believe to be useful, but if anyone sees information that would be useful to share please let me know.

Thanks

glview.tiff

The integrated graphics HD530 does not work properly. I don't think anyone has found a solution yet. For now I bought a XFX radeon HD5450 and am booting with CSM support. If you are going to buy a card I suggest you do some research and buy one that supports UEFI boot.

For extra uefi boot options, I am guessing that you have dual boot with windows, with a separate uefi parition on your windows SSD. I was so annoyed with this problem that I reinstalled the windows. So now I have only one Clover UEFI parition in the SSD that has OSX installed. If you don't mind, you can use easyuefi (a windows tool) to delete all the duplicate clover boot options and it will disappear from the bios. Be careful not to delete the windows and the main clover boot options as you may have to reinstall the whole operating system. You will have to delete these options every so often as they keep increasing in number after each reboot.

link to easyuefi: http://www.easyuefi.com/index-us.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its nice to see that someone has this MB working.  I have the same MB and Proc as you, but I am stuck at no SATA drives visible in the installer where you choose where you want to install El Cap.  I have flash my BIOS to the beta that is hosted on Gigabyte.us.  I disabled the net IOAPIC setting in the BIOS, but that didn't let me see any disks.  I tried both plugging into the Intel hosted SATA ports and the ASMedia (?) ones without success.

I sure would appreciate some hints on how you configured config.plsit.  Would you consider sending it or posting here?

Also if you could post what BIOS settings you found to be important. 

Its nice to see that someone has this MB working.  I have the same MB and Proc as you, but I am stuck at no SATA drives visible in the installer where you choose where you want to install El Cap.  I have flash my BIOS to the beta that is hosted on Gigabyte.us.  I disabled the net IOAPIC setting in the BIOS, but that didn't let me see any disks.  I tried both plugging into the Intel hosted SATA ports and the ASMedia (?) ones without success.

I sure would appreciate some hints on how you configured config.plsit.  Would you consider sending it or posting here?

Also if you could post what BIOS settings you found to be important. 

This is what I used as for bios settings

BIOS Features

Fast Boot - Enabled

PS2 Devices Support - Disabled

Windows 8/10 Features - Windows 8/10 WHQL

CSM Support - Disabled

Secure Boot - Disabled

Under Peripherals:

XHCI Hand-off - Enabled

Super IO Configuration > Serial Port 1 - Disabled

Under Chipset

VT-d - Disabled

IOAPIC 24-119 - Disabled

This is the plist I used on my USB installer http://www.gamefront.com/files/25371458/config.plist.zip

For Kext FakeSMC.kext

RehabMan's USB Inject All

After install I add the AppleIGB.kext to get the i211 running.  i219 is not working yet.

So far I have only tested App Store which is working without issue.

Thanks, I will probably buy the board. Did you have any issues with the ram slots or problems activating the XMP profiles for the memory? Newegg reviews show it may be a common problem.

Thanks, I will probably buy the board. Did you have any issues with the ram slots or problems activating the XMP profiles for the memory? Newegg reviews show it may be a common problem.

I would recommend only buying ram on the list of supported ram.  I bought some Crucial ram that would not post with this motherboard that was not on the supported ram list.  Not sure if that has been fixed with the newer bios or not.

Thank you for the post vonmolk. With your config.plist, I was able to get the OS installed.

My computer showed 16GB of RAM right off the bat - I know others had complained of seeing only half their RAM on some skylake builds.

I'm working on getting either one of the ethernet ports enabled, but I see there is quite a lot of guidance on the custom Kexts needed for the 211/219 that this board has.

Computer won't go to sleep either - even when I tell it to in the Apple menu = but that could be due to not having the nVidia web drivers loaded.

I also need to transfer in my "good" video card - a 970 - once this build is stable enough.  Right now I have a cheapy 8400 GTS in there.

The memory I bought, I am pretty sure was this... which is working well for me.

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R

Thanks again for posting your info.  It really helped me get over the hump on the install.

Thank you for the post vonmolk. With your config.plist, I was able to get the OS installed.

My computer showed 16GB of RAM right off the bat - I know others had complained of seeing only half their RAM on some skylake builds.

I'm working on getting either one of the ethernet ports enabled, but I see there is quite a lot of guidance on the custom Kexts needed for the 211/219 that this board has.

Computer won't go to sleep either - even when I tell it to in the Apple menu = but that could be due to not having the nVidia web drivers loaded.

I also need to transfer in my "good" video card - a 970 - once this build is stable enough.  Right now I have a cheapy 8400 GTS in there.

The memory I bought, I am pretty sure was this... which is working well for me.

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R

Thanks again for posting your info.  It really helped me get over the hump on the install.

You're welcome.  Yeah I have Corsair ram in my UD5.  The Crucial I bought originally wouldn't let the motherboard post.  Sleep appears to be working here just gave it a shot.  I am using a GTX680 so maybe that makes a difference.  The AppleIGB.kext works well for the i211.  There is no kext yet for the i219.  I believe Mieze said she was going to work on updating the Intel kext to include i219.

My system is working pretty well when I boot from the USB Clover disk that I did the install from and then choose the installed OS on the SATA disk.  I still need to do some kext editing to get my 8400GS vid card working, but that it not too important to me.  Ethernet, I got working with that AppleIGB.kext with no hassle.

When I boot from Clover that I installed on the SATA drive after installing El Cap,  all I get is a line of "+++++" pluses.  If I boot up using the USB stick that I built for installing El Cap (also Clover) and then pick the El Cap install, it works OK.  Any idea what that might be?

Your config.plist has iMac 17,1 as the computer type, but Clover Configurator has not been updated for that to be an option, right?

I was able to solve the "plusses" non-boot problem by deleting everything in my drive's clover folder and replacing it with everything from the working USB stick.  So that's fixed.

i was able to get the cheap video card 8400cs working correctly by easily checking inject nvidia in clover and removing the nv_disable boot flag - so my only flag is now "-v"

with the GPU working correctly, the computer will sleep properly.  The problem is that on wake there are two problems.  The USB 3.0 ports start freaking out about a device using too much power and the Ethernet port can no longer detect that the Ethernet cable is plugged in - so no network.

A far as iMessage, App store, iCloud - all that is working OK. 

I am a little concerned about the NIC on this MB.  Te gigabytes used to have realtek NICs and those work out of the box.

i was able to get the cheap video card 8400cs working correctly by easily checking inject nvidia in clover and removing the nv_disable boot flag - so my only flag is now "-v"

with the GPU working correctly, the computer will sleep properly.  The problem is that on wake there are two problems.  The USB 3.0 ports start freaking out about a device using too much power and the Ethernet port can no longer detect that the Ethernet cable is plugged in - so no network.

A far as iMessage, App store, iCloud - all that is working OK. 

I am a little concerned about the NIC on this MB.  Te gigabytes used to have realtek NICs and those work out of the box.

The AppleIGB kext has some issues.  If you leave it disabled and enable it in preferences it doesn't detect that it is plugged in.  Once in a while the kext will cause a kernel panic on boot and even had it kernel panic once when I removed the ethernet cable.   I wish I knew how to update the kext with the newer released drivers for the i211.  Hopefully once there is a kext for the i219 that will be a bit more stable.

Hi, VonMolk.

At last i have upgraded my motherboard with Z170X-Gaming 7. And it's working well.

Same issue like you have, intel I219v. But i prefer to use E2400 Right Now. Another Issue is Audio Codec Creative CA0132. No problem, i still can use VooDoo 2.8.8. Nice performance right now, LOL

The AppleIGB kext has some issues.  If you leave it disabled and enable it in preferences it doesn't detect that it is plugged in.  Once in a while the kext will cause a kernel panic on boot and even had it kernel panic once when I removed the ethernet cable.   I wish I knew how to update the kext with the newer released drivers for the i211.  Hopefully once there is a kext for the i219 that will be a bit more stable.

you may try version 5.0.5 of AppleIGB, i am using now, much more stable.

you may try version 5.0.5 of AppleIGB, i am using now, much more stable.

Thanks i'll give that a shot.  Got a link to a download?   The one on the sourceforge download has a version of 5.2.9.4 for the kext and is a bit unstable.

Also installed 10.11.2 without any issue.  Everything is working good so far.

Thanks i'll give that a shot.  Got a link to a download?   The one on the sourceforge download has a version of 5.2.9.4 for the kext and is a bit unstable.

Also installed 10.11.2 without any issue.  Everything is working good so far.

i forgot where did i download it, nevertheless, you can download from my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otlfio3i05w4w6w/AppleIGB.kext.zip?dl=0

• Like 1

i forgot where did i download it, nevertheless, you can download from my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otlfio3i05w4w6w/AppleIGB.kext.zip?dl=0

Thanks will give it a shot when I get home from work.  Thanks norman_lu works much better.   Also iStigPL posted new E1000e drivers that support the i219-v http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/205771-appleintele1000ekext-for-108107106105/?p=2195842

@vonmolk

Hi, I cannot get my i219-v to work with E1000e drivers. what did you have to change in the kext to get it to work? could you please upload your modified kext? Thanks in advance.

Absolutely.  I had to add a bundle identifier to the kext.  Here is the modified kext that works.  All credits goto alreadystarted and iStigPL

AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip