Clevo w870cu weird monitor issue

yioulas

9 posts in this topic

Hi there

I have a fully working yosemite installation on a clevo w870cu. I've edited my dsdt and everything works flawlessly. Up until now I've had an old LG monitor with a DVI port on it. This laptop has an

hdmi and dvi output both of which worked. The hdmi with an adaptor of course since the monirot only had a DVI and vga port.

My LG monitor died a few days ago and couldn't be fixed so I bought a new samsung monitor. I connected the monitor via hdmi and yosemite just froze. I tried the same from my dvi port with an hdmi

adaptor on the monitor and still it just freezes. I wanted to shoot myself at that point but I don't have a gun.

If I bought with the monitor connected I get to a grey screen and it freezes. I use chimera boot loader and tried different flags with no luck. I've tried nvenabler64 which i'm not sure is even compatible

with yosemite no luck again. I've tried natit.

I installed clover which is more advanced. I had the same issue so I booted to windows saved my video cards rom and used nvcap maker to get my nvcap value. I got clover to use my nvidia gtx 285m

rom with the correct nvcap values. I tried a whole bunch of different graphics settings in clover. Now I got to a point where my laptop screen goes black when the external monitor is connected, the

external monitor doesn't get any signal, but now if I disconnect the external monitor the laptops monitor turns back on and yosemite is not frozen.

The monitor works fine on windows btw with both dvi and hdmi. 

I don't understand why my older monitor worked just fine and the new one doesn't. I really can't work without an external monitor because I can't see well, I'm a musician working with apple logic pro x

and I had to stop working. 

If I find no solution I'm considering to buy a new desktop customac for my new monitor! Which sucks bigtime because I can work fine with this laptop's specs and I really don't want to spent 1000

euros to buy a desktop with similar specs. I tried to look on ebay to find the same monitor that I had with no luck.

I'm sorry for the long post and I'm not even sure I posted at the right place. If anyone has any idea why this could be happening please let me know. Otherwise can someone please shoot me and

get this over with? Thanks! :-)

@ yioulas

Hello!

If you want support for your bootloader, please hand over to where you have got it from. TM bootloader versions and tools are not supported here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/ http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/275941-very-important-please-read-about-tonymacx86-and-iatkos-m-y/

If you decide to use here supported tools and bootloaders, you will for sure get proper support.

Have fun.

@ yioulas

Hello!

If you want support for your bootloader, please hand over to where you have got it from. TM bootloader versions and tools are not supported here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/ http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/275941-very-important-please-read-about-tonymacx86-and-iatkos-m-y/

If you decide to use here supported tools and bootloaders, you will for sure get proper support.

Have fun.

I am not even sure my problem has to do with the bootloader. Do you have alternative bootloaders or drivers in mind for Nvidia cards running yosemite? My problem is the DVI and HDMI ports just crash yosemite when connected to a

Samsung monitor but used to work fine with my old LG monitor (It was an LCD TV with a female DVI port.. Please let me know. Note that my system crashes even if the monitor is unplugged from the power cable.

I'm a bit newbie, do you have any free HDD for making a new install, just for trying? 

I do have an extra hard drive to try a new installation. I'll give that a try. I have a hunch that it could work on OSX El Capitan. The problem is that a lot of my samplers on logic don't support el capitan yet. I don't think it's gonna work if

I reinstall yosemite since it's a clean vanilla install using only fakesmc. No other kexts. But I will give that a try to if I have to. The problem is that if I reinstall yosemite with a clean install and it somehow works, I will need to reinstall all

my programs from scratch which would take ages since I use thousands of plugins.

Thanks for your replies!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi yioulas, did you figure it out? 

I have the exact same problem you do, though my laptop has entirely different specs and different graphics (8400M GS). This laptop has 3 outputs: VGA, HDMI, S-Video. VGA works fine (I can even make it my primary display and disable LVDS entirely), S-Video was never tested, HDMI won't work. Exact same symptoms you have. 

The difference between us is that I do all my injection via DSDT, not bootloaders. Symptoms persist with both Clover and Enoch Chameleon, in both Yosemite and El Capitan. I also get the same change in symptoms you do when messing with the NVCAP. 

Any progress? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi yioulas, did you figure it out? 

I have the exact same problem you do, though my laptop has entirely different specs and different graphics (8400M GS). This laptop has 3 outputs: VGA, HDMI, S-Video. VGA works fine (I can even make it my primary display and disable LVDS entirely), S-Video was never tested, HDMI won't work. Exact same symptoms you have. 

The difference between us is that I do all my injection via DSDT, not bootloaders. Symptoms persist with both Clover and Enoch Chameleon, in both Yosemite and El Capitan. I also get the same change in symptoms you do when messing with the NVCAP. 

Any progress? 

Unfortunately no. On top of that something is wrong with the motherboard of my laptop and the cpu fan won't spin at all (changed the fan). I need a new computer! :-(

I haven't had any luck either. I suspect it may be an actual incompatibility issue.

It's a shame because everything else in my laptop works just fine.  :(

In my findings I found that years ago, lots of folks' HDMI stopped working with the exact same symptoms we had during the update from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2. The issue was more prone to reveal itself with HDMI monitors connected to HDMI, while most people using DVI monitors connected to HDMI via an adapter had their systems working fine. There were exceptions to both setups though. It didn't seem to matter if DSDT injection or EFI strings were used. 

They guessed that the problem was due to HDCP that Apple had started implementing with 10.6.2, especially since folks with monitors that didn't support HDCP had their systems working properly. 

They never found an actual solution other than using a couple 16.0.1 kexts (NVDAResman and NVDANV50Hal) in their new installation, though it didn't work for everyone. I did get my hands on a 10.6.1 installation where I pulled those kexts from in order to try them withYosemite; it was a long shot, and my system did not work at all. 

Honestly I kinda gave up on finding a solution too, as I am out of ideas. I'll be getting an actual MBP in a couple months to replace my old laptop, so I'll have to live with it until then. 

• 3 weeks later...