(GUIDE) 10.11 full speed USB (series 8/9) keeping vanilla SLE

wegface
497 posts in this topic

Cool thats what I was trying to do with my GA-Z97N-WIFI but how do you keep it in place since the mount is different, can't screw it in.

Not necessary, the card has no room to unplug. working without screws.

Of course two extra holes in rear panel: one for the third WiFi antenna, and one for the bluetooth one

Back on topic: what I have to do to operate with DSDT only? (besides EHCx to EH0x and XHC1 to XHC).

And for BT?

Wow great job :D

You also got ASMedia USB3 working in 10.11? Amazing.

Not through any efforts on my part, they were just recognised OOTB. And partially working. For a while I thought they were fully working and thought I could make do with just those (given my real mac has the same number of ports total).

From memory now:

• HID devices via a USB3 hub (in the dell monitor) worked.
  • WD Passport Ultra USB3 drive connected directly worked, at full speed, for as long as I tried it.
  • Dell USB soundbar (via the monitor hub) *intermittently* worked. Device was recognised, selectable; its volume control affected the Mac's system volume as usual... but no sound came out. Even odder, video playback where I think it was done via Apple's APIs could not progress. It just stuck, in playback mode but not advancing through the track, implying some feedback from the device saying it wasn't playing. VLC uses a different API, and *could* play back video, but still no sound.

So it may even be just a weirdity with that one device, which works fine when the hub is plugged into an intel port. (it now lives happily in HS03/SSP3) But I felt it probably wasn't to be trusted, given everyone else saying ASMedia just doesn't work!

But it suggests ASMedia USB3 interfaces *can* work at least to some extent in 10.11, and may be worth someone's time who's better at the hardware stuff to investigate further. But is probably offtopic for this thread.

Maybe its a ASMedia USB3 hub and not an actual USB3 controller, would explain the oob.

Surely if it was just a hub it would show up under its parent device, which would be one of the HSxx/SSPx ports? The ASmedia ports don't show up under XHC@14 at all.

Correction to what I said in an earlier post. It looks like it's at:

For USB 2:

AppleUSB20XHCIPort@00300000

AppleUSB20XHCIPort@00400000

for USB 3:

AppleUSB30XHCIPort@00100000

AppleUSB30XHCIPort@00200000

From IOJones:

post-1364814-0-02229700-1444688181_thumb.png

It shows up in the PCI list, vendor 1b21 device 1142. It shows up in system report as its own USB 3.0 bus, with the same vendor/device id, and you can see them in the IOJones screenshot too. It looks like it's its own thing, and TBH everything looks like it thinks it supports it, except that I was having trouble with one USB2 audio device that was fine in an intel port (in both cases via a hub).

As I've said earlier in the thread, I am fairly new to Hackintosh (1 year or so) and finding this a steep learning curve. I hope someone will indulge "the noob" and help me though.

So, trying to follow OP's guide, which is hard for me since it's all new territory so apologies in advance for obvious questions.

I think I have mapped the USB ports on my board, GA-Z87-HD3, correctly and I attach a map below.

Next step is confusing for me.

Q1. Do I then open Maciasl on my Yosemite install or El Capitan?

Q2. When I opened Maciasl it looks like my DSDT opens automatically as per screenshot below, is this correct or do I have to load something different?

Q3. I don't seem to have XHC1, I have XHC as per screenshot, am I looking in wrong place?

Be gentle with me guys, my knowledge is a fraction of yours, but would like to learn  :)

post-1391658-0-63874600-1444689261_thumb.jpg

post-1391658-0-85321600-1444689269_thumb.png

Problem finally solved.

• Mapped the ASRock Z87E-ITX USB ports as reported here 

post-799111-0-34773000-1444692577_thumb.jpg

• Applied DSDT patch to rename EHC1 to EH01, EHC2 to EH02 and XHC1 to XHC 
    # Rename USB devices for OSX 10.11 GM support (remember to use injector with this)
    into device label EHC1 set_label begin EH01 end;
    into device label EHC2 set_label begin EH02 end;
    into device label XHC1 set_label begin XHC end;
    into_all all code_regex EHC1 replaceall_matched begin EH01 end;
    into_all all code_regex EHC2 replaceall_matched begin EH02 end;
    into_all all code_regex XHC1 replaceall_matched begin XHC end
  • Applied arix98's Clover patch in config.plist\Kernel and Kext Patches to remove the limit of 15 usb
  • Edited PJALM's USB_Series8_Injector.kext (see attachment for my own edits based on the USB board mappature) to make ALL of the USB 2.0 and 3.0 working properly
  • Located Bluetooth USB Host Controller In EHC2 (now renamed EH02 by the previous patch) as shown in IOReg 10.10.5 here 

post-799111-0-94570300-1444693516_thumb.png

• Applied RehabMan's DSDT patch 
    into device name_adr 0x001A0000 code_regex Name.*_ADR.* replace_matched begin Name(_ADR,0) end

to make the ACPI identity "disconnected" from the PCIe identity in EH02. The system cannot match the two as matching is done based on the value of _ADR as stated here or here, to avoid instant wake from sleep caused by the the native Mac BCM94360CD (WiFi) + BCM94331CD (Bluetooth) combo card plugged into mini-PCI Express slot

• Rebooted and checked every USB + Sleep + AutoSleep

post-799111-0-10981000-1444693663_thumb.png

El cap USB patch asrock z87e itx.zip

Why are you using every single method possible?

'Cause every single method alone would give a partial solution with this hardware

1. Injector kext - limited ports + no sleep (due to the BT card)
  2. clover patch - HS13 not working + no sleep
  3. RehabMan kexts - SSP3 and SSP4 not working

Just a FYI, I have exact same combo card, I use only my DSDT method with no changing of ADR, and all works, no sleep issues.

What do you mean with DSDT method? How can you achieve fully USB without kext injection and Clover patch?

Its been discussed here many times already.

In this thread all I can see about DSDT patching is about renaming EHCx and XHC1in OP, then your Power USB patch + device-id here which I already have in my DSDT (ok in Yosemite, of course). What am I missing?

Maybe you're referring to 10.11.1 beta? 'Cause I take from this post that you're testing it. But I'm still on 10.11

Got it, thanks.

With no kext injector, no Clover usb limit patch, and removing from DSDT/XHC/RHUB any unused USB

post-799111-0-35527200-1444716819_thumb.png

plus, removing from DSDT/XHC/DSM the device id for 9 series, gives me a good result, but HS13 is still missing

post-799111-0-09625000-1444716753_thumb.png

Furthermore, restoring ADR value in EH02, I went back to instant wake from sleep - Console report: 13/10/15 08:06:08,000 kernel[0]: Wake reason: GLAN EH01 EH02 XHC HDEF (Network)

Attached IOReg, if you're interested

IOReg no inject.zip

Looks good just missing a few ports, F_USB30 is 2x USB3 ports, F_USB1/2/3 are also all 2x USB2 but you have them only mapped as one port each.

Funny thing is that ASM chip has no builtin OSX support and requires the GenericUSB kext.

I don't have the GenericUSB kext installed. Actually I had it on Yosemite, but as it turned out unnecessarily as a holdover from Mavericks when I first installed. (See post #141 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308325-guide-1011-full-speed-usb-series-89-keeping-vanilla-sle/page-8?do=findComment&comment=2175056) but the El Cap install is fresh, and Generic was never installed. (just FakeSMC and IntelMausiEthernet) We know the USB driver was changed in El Cap, that's why we're gathered here today ;) is it possible they added ASMedia support and I'm just having an issue with one device?

That post btw was me saying, but I'm not seeing anything like even step 1 of the OP's guide. In fact it was only on El Cap that I started seeing the HSxx and SSPx ports at all. So I guess *something's* a bit odd here.

I don't have the GenericUSB kext installed. Actually I had it on Yosemite, but as it turned out unnecessarily as a holdover from Mavericks when I first installed. (See post #141 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308325-guide-1011-full-speed-usb-series-89-keeping-vanilla-sle/page-8?do=findComment&comment=2175056) but the El Cap install is fresh, and Generic was never installed. (just FakeSMC and IntelMausiEthernet) We know the USB driver was changed in El Cap, that's why we're gathered here today ;) is it possible they added ASMedia support and I'm just having an issue with one device?

That post btw was me saying, but I'm not seeing anything like even step 1 of the OP's guide. In fact it was only on El Cap that I started seeing the HSxx and SSPx ports at all. So I guess *something's* a bit odd here.

You will find the HSXX and SSPX in DSDT defo. I dont know why IOJones doesn't always show them.

Looks good just missing a few ports, F_USB30 is 2x USB3 ports, F_USB1/2/3 are also all 2x USB2 but you have them only mapped as one port each.

Hi Pjalm

You are correct. I read the board manual and indeed there are two ports on each internal (real men don't read the manual you know  ;) )

So I mapped the remaining ports, bar one. My case only has 1xUSB2 and 1xUSB3, the USB2 ones were easy as the connecter can go in top or bottom for each of the ports. USB3 is not so easy as just the one connector (An educated guess looking at the other numbering would be SSP02/HS02 though?) Do I have enough info now to do what I need to do? BTW, the internal USB 3 works fine in El Cap as is.

Additional q's are:

Q2. When I opened Maciasl it looks like my DSDT opens automatically as per screenshot below, is this correct or do I have to load something different?

Q3. I don't seem to have XHC1, I have XHC as per screenshot, am I looking in wrong place?

I know I am asking for a lot of help here! Be patient with me Yoda!

post-1391658-0-05031900-1444761982_thumb.jpg

post-1391658-0-78621400-1444762060_thumb.png

Hi Pjalm

You are correct. I read the board manual and indeed there are two ports on each internal (real men don't read the manual you know  ;) )

So I mapped the remaining ports, bar one. My case only has 1xUSB2 and 1xUSB3, the USB2 ones were easy as the connecter can go in top or bottom for each of the ports. USB3 is not so easy as just the one connector (An educated guess looking at the other numbering would be SSP02/HS02 though?) Do I have enough info now to do what I need to do? BTW, the internal USB 3 works fine in El Cap as is.

Additional q's are:

You can achieve the DSDT directly from Clover. Hit F4 before booting your HDD, you will find your clean DSDT.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin. Using MaciASL with Clover is not indicated.

• Like 2

Just so i can clarify in my own mind - In 10.11 on a board that has Intel USB2 ports am i likely to get these working by _only_ making DSDT mods or is there more to it than this? I am getting conflicting information in my head as to if i can do this via kext injection, DSDT mods or a mixture of both.

cheers

I think You forgot the internal USB2.0 ports

i have removed all internal usb2 ports from dsdt and injector since i don't use those...

So to correct my previous statement i did kill some unused ports 

I guess in your case you got 13 ports that you need to config

1 usb3 case port which is either SSP01 HS01 or SSP02 HS02  (2ports)

1 usb2 case port which somewhere between  HS07-HS12 (1port)

2 rear black HS05 HS06 (2 ports)

4 rear blue   SSP03 SSP04 SSP05 SSP06 + HS03 HS04 HS09 HS10 (8 ports)

Looks like we got the same board?

You can achieve the DSDT directly from Clover. Hit F4 before booting your HDD, you will find your clean DSDT.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin. Using MaciASL with Clover is not indicated.

Thanks Jolly. Again, forgive a noob here but do I extract the DSDT from Yosemite or El Capitan for this fix (now that I have the port map from Yosemite)?

Thanks Jolly. Again, forgive a noob here but do I extract the DSDT from Yosemite or El Capitan for this fix (now that I have the port map from Yosemite)?

First of all you have to patch the DSDT for your hardware (and you have no hardware in the signature). Not knowing it, it is impossible to say anything.

I don't know if it is fair to do it here, but post a zipped copy of your clean DSDT

Really appreciate your help Jolly. Attached is DSDT. This was generated hitting f4 in clover on my Yosemite boot disk, not my El Cap one, is that the one you need?

Sure its fair to do here. However that's an easy dsdt to patch, pjalm has an AIO patch for that board. :)

Add this to sources section of maciasl:

http://pjalm.com/repos/gigabyte/

:)

Sorry wegface, I missed your reply and posted DSDT for Jolly to look at. If I go this way, can I check as never done before  :blush: . I presume open DSDT with Maciasl, add the URL to sources, select Pjalms patch for my board, click apply, click close, then save the DSDT. I assume I then put the patched DSDT back in EFI/Clover/ACPI.

2 Q's 1. do I need to change any Clover settings to make it use the DSDT (I've never tinkered with this before. 2. This DSDT is from the Yosemite install. Do I then put patched DSDT in my El Cap install or should I have been patching the DSDT from El Cap in the first place?

DSDT.aml.zip

Really appreciate your help Jolly. Attached is DSDT. This was generated hitting f4 in clover on my Yosemite boot disk, not my El Cap one, is that the one you need?

Sorry wegface, I missed your reply and posted DSDT for Jolly to look at. If I go this way, can I check as never done before  :blush: . I presume open DSDT with Maciasl, add the URL to sources, select Pjalms patch for my board, click apply, click close, then save the DSDT. I assume I then put the patched DSDT back in EFI/Clover/ACPI.

2 Q's 1. do I need to change any Clover settings to make it use the DSDT (I've never tinkered with this before. 2. This DSDT is from the Yosemite install. Do I then put patched DSDT in my El Cap install or should I have been patching the DSDT from El Cap in the first place?

Try this one, put it in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

To say, the AIO patch is not working for me, had to apply singular patches

EDIT: DSDT removed

Try this one, put it in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

To say, the AIO patch is not working for me, had to apply singular patches

just tested, works fine for me 

(edit) ignore me, your right, throws errors