Acer Aspire 4752 10.10.5 Guide with Kextpack

themacmeister

4 posts in this topic

OK, I have been running 10.9.5 for a year now on my little Acer Aspire 4752. Thanks to user RGhabriel, who was prepared to make the jump to Yosemite, I quickly followed hearing news of his success.

Original Mavericks guide and kextpack here -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300289-acer-aspire-4752-1095-guide-with-kextpack/

The last page or so covers the installation of Yosemite. The only change I made (after manually installing Chimera) and updating to 10.10.5, was to install Clover (to ESP, bootloader boot0ah to MBR, and only driver selected was 64bit SATA). I only have one operating system, so was not concerned about dual-boot etc.

On installation, you need to add NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /S/L/E until you patch AICPM. You then need to remove BOTH AppleBCM7xxx kexts from plugins in IONetworkingFamily, and /S/L/E, reinstall using Kext Utility from kextpack. Also, I am using patched AppleUSBXHCI.kext plugin (in IOUSBFamily.kext) for USB3.0 - it works GREAT!!!

If your SMBIOS is set to MacBookPro8,1 then the only change you need in Clover is Intel injection...

I will post my config.plist for Clover, along with a few extra essential kexts (USB3.0/Ethernet etc.) shortly. Stay tuned for that.

Obviously, I'm using latest Clover, and I didn't bother with the extra patches for VGA/HDMI-AUDIO/Bluetooth. Apart from those three items (which ARE FIXABLE) it runs as well, if not better than, the old Mavericks 10.9.5 install. I may experiment with patching IntelSNBFramebuffer kext to get HDMI-AUDIO working in the future... That is something that I may need.

Three apps were incompatible on upgrade... Yahoo Messenger (who cares), Bartender (old version anyway), iPhoto (this is an important one, but an update should be available). Java for Mac OS X 2014-001 needed to be reinstalled (and there is a -002 update somewhere too). Some apps may need to be re-registered, but that is no big deal.

I will hook this up to the WIFI later tonight, and see if I have any worthy updates to install. I am very happy with the install thus far, and don't miss the unpatched non-working items.

Except for the installation of Clover, patching of AICPM kext, and installation of USB3.0 + Ethernet kexts -- the procedure I followed was identical to @RGhabriel's instructions.

NOTE: If you are having trouble booting with UseKernelCache=Yes, then use Disk Utility to repair disk permissions, check you have an empty /Extra/Extensions folder, and then use:

sudo -s

kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

Did the trick for me!

You can keep using the 10.9.5 Kextpack for the time being... just use the SAFE kexts, like ethernet, AppleHDA...

Just download latest Clover, and install for MBR BOOT ONLY...

Copy and replace my EFI folder here -> http://www.4shared.com/zip/YfAG1ej2ba/RGH_CLOVER.html

NOTE: This will be a folder on the root partition, not an EFI partition.

This will fix screen corruption etc.  

True guide coming real soon... along with real kextpack... promise!