! GRAPHICS CARDS WITH NO PATCHES NEEDED !

53 posts in this topic

No, rosetta can't be used for this and PPC drivers can't be used at all in x86. And as you know there are no x86 drivers for most of these cards so for now they're basically useless for use in hackintoshes if we're talking about fully supported cards.

This wouldn't happen to be all about trying to off-load some extraneous gfx cards on ebay, would it? I'm not usually prone to suspicion, but that was my immediate thought upon reading these posts..

My apologies if it is just a case of an honest mistake.

wait a minute, if thos cards are meant for mac dont they have mac drivers. so it wouldnt matter in OSX X86 as long as you have the drivers for the card. But im not sure if Rosetta can run drivers?

scince were on the whole FCODE subject, i think this tels you haow to write FCODE in C...FCODE in C

The 9600 and 9800 WIN/Mac cards are meant for people with older PPC macs that may end up using the card in a PC. They will work in any hackintosh but only as their PC counterparts. The mac bios are strictly PPC and will not work on Intel/Macs or any x86 hardware :D

This wouldn't happen to be all about trying to off-load some extraneous gfx cards on ebay, would it? I'm not usually prone to suspicion, but that was my immediate thought upon reading these posts..

My apologies if it is just a case of an honest mistake.

funnily enough that was my first thought as well, there is this guy Mitch (i'mamacuser, mac_geniuses etc.. ebay) that tends to spam forums trying to flog poorly flashed cards and spreading misinformation...

BTW, can mods see what I.P. addresses posts were made from?

wait a minute, if thos cards are meant for mac dont they have mac drivers. so it wouldnt matter in OSX X86 as long as you have the drivers for the card. But im not sure if Rosetta can run drivers?

scince were on the whole FCODE subject, i think this tels you haow to write FCODE in C...FCODE in C

The F in FCODE stands for FORTAN. Mac's don't have drivers in the same way that windows do. The equivalent tend to work for classes of devices rather then individual bits of hardware. Although I will admit; it's six of one, half a dozen of the other as far as that goes...

So basicly if someone had the resources to code the Mac OS X drivers on a PC/MAC card to X86 then they should work perfectly, But Joe said the 9600 was meant for older MACS so would possibly OS X have the 9600 mac drivers in it. if it does it should work right ?

I suspect that the biggest problem is with the BIOS on cards not interfacing with the extensions correctly. We need bioses that when booted from a hack will pass a "high I'm card X with capabilities y" so that os X will go "well, in that case, use these bits." Then there is the whole issue of the required extensions playing nice with our kernel (which seems to have been solved) and not looking for EFI. But, you'd need to ask the EFI people about that...

What if we used one of those gateway EFI desktops and patched an official Mac intel DVD. then used graphics from intel macs?

Then I suspect it would probably work fine.

PC X1900XTs have been successfully flashed for the mac, so once you edit rom's for individual card's foibles you shouldn't have much problem with the current crop of the intlemac cards atleast.

http://strangedogs.proboards40.com/index.c...9989&page=5

However I don't know anyone with an EFI board, so if you are keen to try....

wtf IN SHORT I HALF A**ED FLASHED IT. I HAVE 2 IDENTICAL GRAPHICS CARDS ONE FOR PC, ONE FOR MAC. LINUX SAID IT FOUND THE CONFLICTS, AND IT COULD FIX THEM WITH AN EXAMPLE. SO I HOOKED UP BOTH GRAPHICS CARDS. AND IT COPIED FOR LYK 5 HRS. WHEN IT WAS DONE THT WAS MY RESULT

BASICALLY IT ADDED THE PC BIOS TO THE MAC CARD. MY VRAM WENT DOWN FROM 128 TO 64 ON MAC, THE CARD DIED A WEEK LATER

The way you put it, you used a program that decodes/recodes on the fly! I have yet to see a program that does this with a Video BIOS or Open Firmware in my 11yrs of working on Mac/PC

Just my :dev: thoughts.

OriginalMACNUT, that dude is full of :dev:

Windows RG, the problem with those cards is PPC and I only said old macs because I was thinking new being Intel/Mac and the cards are meant for people thinking of upgrading to XP from older slower macs. You don't need to flash those cards because they use ATi drivers for mac and come with drivers for XP or Apple. StrangeDogs talks about flashing cards to use in PPC macs not Intel and thats what we need. The only hope for cards is drivers, just like in windows.

@ Joe75

I was just reading the posts, none of it made any since, plus he said he wasn't that good of a programmer, but the program that he said he used was automated. Also early post said that his mem. drop to 32, then another post said it was 64?

I have flashed many ( more than I cared to ) ati cards for Mac use, Just because it was cheap.

I think ATI came out w/ the Mac/PC cards was to push sale at first.

But anyways, It's clear that pnkskatergt is full of it.

StrangeDogs talks about flashing cards to use in PPC macs not Intel and thats what we need.

Mostly; there is more intel mac stuff appearing on that forum, for example PC to intelmac X1900XT flash instructions.

But, that's for original apple macs with EFI, although I suspect that they should work on any EFI board...

OriginalMACNUT, my apologies for being since-less :dance_24:

Those cards are lame and I was off topic for even mentioning them. They are a gimmick and their only purpose could be for transition or a developer that may need to move between machines.

consolation, I haven't been to StrangeDogs in while, they even deleted my log in, I didn't even remember them having a log in just to read the forum. I remember when it was all PPC stuff, I did flash a 5200 off of their threads and still have a custom flash for my X800XT that I got from them.

There needs to be more work done in kext and drivers for OSX86 instead of flashes :2cents:

There needs to be more work done in kext and drivers for OSX86 instead of flashes :dev:

Well, it depends how you want to approach the problem. You can change the driver to fit the card or the card to fit the driver. I'm not sure which one is more practical. Modifying the driver means that every time you update you loose compatibility with your hardware. If you modify the card's BIOS so it init's correctly & plays nice with os you don't have that problem. But, that requires a whole new set of skills and, honestly, I think you might not be able to do one without the other...

wtf IN SHORT I HALF A**ED FLASHED IT. I HAVE 2 IDENTICAL GRAPHICS CARDS ONE FOR PC, ONE FOR MAC. LINUX SAID IT FOUND THE CONFLICTS, AND IT COULD FIX THEM WITH AN EXAMPLE. SO I HOOKED UP BOTH GRAPHICS CARDS. AND IT COPIED FOR LYK 5 HRS. WHEN IT WAS DONE THT WAS MY RESULT

BASICALLY IT ADDED THE PC BIOS TO THE MAC CARD. MY VRAM WENT DOWN FROM 128 TO 64 ON MAC, THE CARD DIED A WEEK LATER

Well.... it is possible, i've converted used cheapo PC Ati cards to Mac ver. But those involve precision soldering (removing PC ROM chip, other components and resoldering'm with chips obtainable from radio shack), flasing the bios..... etc... not for the faint hearted. And there is no guarantee.

This guy is really telling the truth.

I stuck a G5 processor into the IDE port on my socket 370 motherboard and then I was able to all of the video cards from PPC Macs but only if I plugged them into the AMR slot.

I also got more FPS in Doom 3, I guess the G5 really helped out with that adding extra jiggahertz.

I stuck a G5 processor into the IDE port on my socket 370 motherboard and then I was able to all of the video cards from PPC Macs but only if I plugged them into the AMR slot.

I also got more FPS in Doom 3, I guess the G5 really helped out with that adding extra jiggahertz.

stop this nonsence ....... Graphics cards using AMR slot............soc370 and G5, electrically incompatible.... :gathering::gathering::):D:hysterical:

Modifying the driver means that every time you update you loose compatibility with your hardware.

I slave over ATi with XGL on a 50in LCD TV that I cant support correctly and can relate to that :gathering:

this thread is kinda pointless

Absolutely :)

stop this nonsence ....... Graphics cards using AMR slot............soc370 and G5, electrically incompatible....

:D:hysterical::gathering:

No really, stop the nonsense :police:

Dude, you got it so wrong... everyone knows the G5 goes into the FLOPPY connector, otherwise your machine will KP when you launch Civilisation V