How can i completely copy my hard drive to another?

seanbperiod

18 posts in this topic

Usually new HD comes with a utility disk that will copy the entire old HD to your new HD .

HTH

Those will not copy mac partitions or ext partitions of Linux, unless the software specifically says its compatible :)

Ok, I got a simple solution. Get yourself a Linux live cd.

1. Connect your new HD on computer ( Take note using this method your new HD should be bigger or equal to the old HD )

2. Boot from Live cd

3. open up terminal

4 then type :

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

"if=" means "input file is", and is followed by the source of the data.

"of=" means "output file is" and is followed by the destination of the data.

5. Then wait till it is done.

• 2 weeks later...
You can dd a image right from mac or Linux boot prompt :angel:

You'd want a livecd or boot disc, because there is no guarantee your disk will be immaculate during the whole process; in fact, unless you're in single user mode it almost certainly will be!

Are u sure it was a Ghost?

I'm asking , be cause the product homepage doesn't approves it.

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/index.jsp

I'm sure Symantec doesn't make a version that runs in OS X, but if you use an older version that uses a boot disk that isn't OS dependant (I believe theres a version on Hirens BootCD) it will clone HD's regardless of what FS is on the hard drive. I've done it a few times with windows/linux/mac hard drives using ghost.

But I would recommend donicci's method to clone HD's. quick and to the point.

QUOTE(flexuser @ Nov 7 2006, 01:58 PM) *

Are u sure it was a Ghost?

I'm asking , be cause the product homepage doesn't approves it.

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/index.jsp

I'm sure Symantec doesn't make a version that runs in OS X, but if you use an older version that uses a boot disk that isn't OS dependant (I believe theres a version on Hirens BootCD) it will clone HD's regardless of what FS is on the hard drive. I've done it a few times with windows/linux/mac hard drives using ghost.

But I would recommend donicci's method to clone HD's. quick and to the point.

I just ghosted my mac drive with ghost 8. worked like a charm. i used the copy off of minipe xt 2005. i think its on hirens too, but id have to check when i get home.