Apple/Best Buy relationship grows...

Lostgame

6 posts in this topic

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2156

The nations No. 1 specialty electronics retailer will stock Mac notebooks, desktops, as well as some accessories and software at each store, Apple executives said during a conference call.

Earlier this spring, Apple began testing sales of its Mac line at 7 Best Buy stores located in the Southern California region, each of which featured a new planogram layout that prominently displayed the systems in a designated area of the retailer's personal computer department.

Apple, which had been evaluating the 7-store pilot, decided just this week on an expansion, executives said during the conference call.

Best Buy had previously indicated that it was prepared to scale the pilot program to the majority of its retail stores if the concept proved to be successful. The retailer operates some 900+ outlets throughout the US, each of which already stocks Apple's iPod digital music players.

Analysts have said a full expansion could generate as much as $400 million in additional Mac sales for the Apple each year.

Now THIS is cool. I have two bestbuys around me and frankly, this is needed. I have not played with the new macs and I would love to play with them. Plus to go into a store and actually come out with one, is something alot of us don't have the ability to do. Some do have Apple stores around them, I have one 2.5 hours from me but it is in a city, Atlanta, that I just don't drive through on a whim, especially to just play with a pc/laptop I am not able to buy right now.

I hope this comes to my area soon.

That's good news, but I don't live near a best buy. I get to try the new intel macs at London Drugs in Penticton but their prices are very high.

I remember back when I didn't know {censored} about computers and was shopping with my Mom for a new computer and I remember the G4 Mac Mini being there, of course I didn't know anything and just went on and my mom asked the helper guy there and he eventually threw us towards a piece of {censored} $300 Emachines. Oh how I wish I would have got the Mini. Ever since then I haven't ever seen them carrying Macs in their stores, hopefully they will soon again, even though I live 2 hours from the nearest one.

trav1085, my nearest London Drugs is in Prince George, a 6 hour drive from Terrace.... :P

All the Best Buy's in the Greater Vancouver area have been selling Apple stuff for quite some time, although I'm not sure exactly how long.....

And yes its fun to play with the stuff. One of my coolest moments this summer was visiting the Apple Store in Tokyo. :idea: