Working R7 240 in Mavericks

Slice

40 posts in this topic

I took a card AMD Radeon R7 240 (ASUS) 1GbDDR3 for one day testing and got it to work. DeviceID=0x6613

This is low cost card (50$) and works worse then my HD6670.

Screenshots:

R7-240-OpenMark.png Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 21.02.49.png

This is Oland family that is not supported in Mavericks. May be it will be better in Yosemite.

Nonetheless I made by Clover-rev3150 the follow:

Devices->FakeID->ATI=0x67981002   (in Yosemite it will be better 6640)

Graphics->Inject->ATI=true

->FBName=Futomaki

Voila!

The card has UEFI BIOS and works in native resolution 1920x1080 even without drivers. No acceleration but good color if no drivers.

PS. On screenshot you may see model "GA Radeon6670". It is injected for my previous card. I just forgot to change the name. It is easy with Clover.

EDITED.

Make sure your DSDT contains GFX device. Else FakeID patch may not work.

It can be obtained by Clover DSDT fixes:

ACPI->DSDT->Fixes->FixDisplay_0100=true

• Like 8

I took a card AMD Radeon R7 240 (ASUS) 1GbDDR3 for one day testing and got it to work. DeviceID=0x6613

Screenshots:

attachicon.gifR7-240-OpenMark.png attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-02-11 at 21.02.49.png

This is Oland family that is not supported in Mavericks. May be it will be better in Yosemite.

->FBName=Futomaki

Voila!

The card has UEFI BIOS and works in native resolution 1920x1080 even without drivers. No acceleration but good color.

PS. On screenshot you may see model "GA Radeon6670". It is injected for my previous card. I just forgot to change the name. It is easy with Clover.

What do you mean with 'no acceleration'? You mean it doesn't have qe/qi?

I'm planning on buying this card since it's the cheapest one that will run my lg 34um95 resolution on 50 hz.

Thanks in advance

What do you mean with 'no acceleration'? You mean it doesn't have qe/qi?

No, I mean that it can work OOB without acceleration.

But my way it works WITH ACCELERATION. See screenshots.

No, I mean that it can work OOB without acceleration.

But my way it works WITH ACCELERATION. See screenshots.

Ok, thanks.

I want to buy the exact card you used, but asus says it maximum resolution is 1920x1200, but over hdmi a r7 240 should go to 4k.

Do you know if the asus 1gb also supports 4k?

Again thanks in advance

Ok, thanks.

I want to buy the exact card you used, but asus says it maximum resolution is 1920x1200, but over hdmi a r7 240 should go to 4k.

Do you know if the asus 1gb also supports 4k?

Again thanks in advance

I have no such screen to test.

I tested with 1920x1080

I ordered the card.

Slice, can you maybe explain to me how to use your fake-id method with chameleon?

Chameleon has no such possibility.

GraphicsEnabler has many bugs and not compatible with new cards.

Sorry, no way.

Chameleon has no such possibility.

GraphicsEnabler has many bugs and not compatible with new cards.

Sorry, no way.

Today I received my new graphics card. It's a r7 250 instead of a r7 240 that wasn't in stock. I used this kext: http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/4109-newfastest-109-amd-r7-250-lastest-driver/ but if I boot i get a white screen.

I read in another topic that your above method will work with the 250 as well. 

Can you explain in small steps to me how to do this, since I've never used clover. (I thought clover was meant for uefi only)

Clover is not UEFI only. See my signature, old computers with PC bios are also controlled by Clover.

First step. Download Clover package. Recent revision is 3185.

Second. Install it.

Third. Edit config.plist as I said in first post. Edit by TextEdit.app.

Next try to boot.

Unfortunately you may have no success with first attempt. Check your steps thoroughly and if you found no mistakes prepare a report what you was doing and what was the result.

Clover is not UEFI only. See my signature, old computers with PC bios are also controlled by Clover.

First step. Download Clover package. Recent revision is 3185.

Second. Install it.

Third. Edit config.plist as I said in first post. Edit by TextEdit.app.

Next try to boot.

Unfortunately you may have no success with first attempt. Check your steps thoroughly and if you found no mistakes prepare a report what you was doing and what was the result.

I managed to install the clover, but now I get the missing bluetooth controller error. Still, if I boot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] usb chameleon bootloader I can boot fine. I already removed the intelhd kexts but that didnt solve the problem. I hope you can help me with that.

I was wondering if the error maybe had to do with migrating from chameleon to clover,so I decided to create a fresh clover usb installer.

But then clover doesnt load at all. I only get a black screen with al white stripe in the left top corner.

The same happened when booting clover from the hdd with the usb drive connected.

Any idea on how to solve this?

Thousands ideas.

You can boot with Chameleon? So your graphics cards works fine with it?! I think you mean boot without graphics. VESA mode.

To do the same you have to press Space on hard disk icon and choose "safe mode".

"Bluetooth controller... bla-bla.." means your graphics is not ON.

I was wondering if the error maybe had to do with migrating from chameleon to clover,so I decided to create a fresh clover usb installer.
But then clover doesnt load at all. I only get a black screen with al white stripe in the left top corner.
The same happened when booting clover from the hdd with the usb drive connected.
Any idea on how to solve this?

I think you have problem #1 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2096169

Thousands ideas.

You can boot with Chameleon? So your graphics cards works fine with it?! I think you mean boot without graphics. VESA mode.

To do the same you have to press Space on hard disk icon and choose "safe mode".

"Bluetooth controller... bla-bla.." means your graphics is not ON.

I think you have problem #1 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2096169

I have had the bluetooth error before with chameleon and then the solution always was indeed to boot with -x, but in clover it doesn't make a difference.

You are wright about the usb issue. I am currently booting from the usb and after 10 minutes it says welcome to clover, so its just really slow. I will try to fix that

No, setting the log to false didn't solve the problem. So I can't reach clover. I'm really out of ideas, so I think I am just gonna install yosemie with unib and then install clover over it. I think that's my last shot.

Do you have any ideas?

In recent Clover "Log" changed to "Debug" that you have to change to false.

I think I have tried anything possible now. Both yosemite and mavericks installs wont boot with clover. They both get stuck at the bluetooth thing. I even tried another two graphic cards but still the same error. Whit chameleon they all boot fine.

Is there anything you can think off I need to change? I used the non uefi configuration of clover from here http://skylineosx.com/installation/switching-from-chameleonchimera-to-clover/

Creating a bootable clover usb also doesnt work. I still cant reach past the welcome to clover screen. I adjusted the config like you said but no luck there.

I really appreciate your help.

• 4 weeks later...

I said how to make it working. I shown screenshots to prove my words.

This is the card which I used to test my method to do any Radeon working. Yes, it works.

If you want a help you should attach your logs else no ground to speak.

Like I said in this topic I created http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/305086-amd-radeon-r7-250-hdmi-working-in-mavericks/ I've got the card working fine except for HDMI audio and some freezings in preview for example when I open a HQ picture. Maybe the card just can't handle 3440x1440 properly. But I'm still using chameleon, because clover won't boot, no matter what graphics card I use. I also think I made clear which error occurs so I think I've done what I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Like I said in this topic I created http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/305086-amd-radeon-r7-250-hdmi-working-in-mavericks/ I've got the card working fine except for HDMI audio and some freezings in preview for example when I open a HQ picture. Maybe the card just can't handle 3440x1440 properly. But I'm still using chameleon, because clover won't boot, no matter what graphics card I use. I also think I made clear which error occurs so I think I've done what I can.

Best wishes!

• 2 months later...

Screenshots:

attachicon.gifR7-240-OpenMark.png attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-02-11 at 21.02.49.png

->FBName=Futomaki

Voila!

The card has UEFI BIOS and works in native resolution 1920x1080 even without drivers. No acceleration but good color if no drivers.

Did you patch Ati controller?

My monitor is VGA and im using HDMI converter its work normal but i can't get the qe/ci R7 240 DDR5 2Gb