[Clover] Simple HDMI/DP audio with system/keyboard controls

4 posts in this topic

Here is a simple solution to get audio working over DisplayPort (or HDMI) and use the system (including the keyboard) to control the intensity.

1. Download HDMIAudio.kext using the link at the bottom of this post (credit: andrejkw).

2. Mount the EFI partition and copy the kext to the usual location (/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 for Yosemite).

3. Reboot.

The audio device should now be available, however it does not let you control the output (by OS X design). Also thanks to hlrsellsout for discovering this kext and spreading the word!

To enable system audio control, set up sound routing to a virtual sound device (credit: Matt Montag; you can also use his guide):

1. Download and install Soundflower.

2. Reboot.

3. Open Soundflowerbed and configure Soundflower (2ch) virtual device to use the DisplayPort/HDMI device (in the menu bar).

4. Open System Preferences > Sound and select Soundflower (2ch) as the device for sound output. (Alternatively use Audio MIDI Setup from /Applications/Utilities to set up the same along with alerts and sound effects.)

Now you should be able to control the sound intensity using the system interface and keyboard.

My build on which it is working:

Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming

i7 4790K

Yosemite 10.10.1

Clover

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Here is a simple solution to get audio working over DisplayPort (or HDMI) and use the system (including the keyboard) to control the intensity.

1. Download HDMIAudio.kext using the link at the bottom of this post (credit: andrejkw).

2. Mount the EFI partition and copy the kext to the usual location (/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 for Yosemite).

3. Reboot.

The audio device should now be available, however it does not let you control the output (by OS X design). Also thanks to hlrsellsout for discovering this kext and spreading the word!

To enable system audio control, set up sound routing to a virtual sound device (credit: Matt Montag; you can also use his guide):

1. Download and install Soundflower.

2. Reboot.

3. Open Soundflowerbed and configure Soundflower (2ch) virtual device to use the DisplayPort/HDMI device (in the menu bar).

4. Open System Preferences > Sound and select Soundflower (2ch) as the device for sound output. (Alternatively use Audio MIDI Setup from /Applications/Utilities to set up the same along with alerts and sound effects.)

Now you should be able to control the sound intensity using the system interface and keyboard.

My build on which it is working:

Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming

i7 4790K

Yosemite 10.10.1

Clover

Thank you!

• 2 years later...

Hi :)

In my hands, using soundflower or related apps to control the volume for DP audio devices always resulted in delays and/or distortions/parasites. In addition it was unreliable most of the time.

Has there been anything new in the past 4 years that would be suitable has a daily workaround for the lack of support to volume control for DP/HDMI audio in macOS?

Best,

-a-