Unidentified Early Reboot on Ivy-Bridge- Is this the same case for XCPM for Haswell?

Samlant

11 posts in this topic

I am attempting to install Yosemite 10.10.1 onto my laptop that has a GPT and uses UEFI. The computer specs:

Notebook
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378
Chipset : Mobile HM76 Express
Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
BIOS Insyde Corp. version 6.70
2x4GB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)
Intel® HD 4000 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Hard Disk : TOSHIBA MQ01ABD0 (750GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT51N
Toshiba Internal LCD
AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet
Realtek RTL8723AE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller

This laptop has Windows 8 and Ubuntu Linux installed, both using UEFI boot.

The trouble I'm having is that this laptop will boot into the USB bootloaders, but will quickly reboot after selecting the USB device to boot into---without displaying any information in verbose mode. This is very similar, I believe, to the early reboot problem that Haswells experience due to the power management shift into the kernel.

I have used many methods to create the USB Installer, all performed from a VM hosted by a Windows 7 platform:

• I started off by using Clover bootloader and configuring the config.plist according to skylineosx. After a couple "early reboots", I attempted to rule out some causes: Maybe the culprit is the graphics card/settings or the kernel...?
    • To rule out my graphics card/settings being the culprit I downloaded a custom config.plist specially tailored to my Intel HD 4000 and placed it into "/EFI/Clover/" but it still rebooted.
  • After many USB disk wipes and different configurations and re-installations with Clover, trying to figure out the graphics side of things, I started to investigate the kernel:
    • I do not have a kernel on my USB drive after installing Clover and copying "OS X Base System" to it. I have looked in the root and in "/System/Library/Kernels" (and FYI, I do not have that "Kernels" folder either).
    • I have seen in a lot of guides say to use pacifist to extract the kernel from “OS X Install ESD/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg" or "OS X Base System" and copy it to "/System/Library/Kernels/" (one of the sources is from skylineosx.com); but when I look in "BaseSystemBinaries.pkg", the file nor even the folder "Kernels" is there. Note: I have enabled the ability to see hidden files/folders.
    • However, when I came across another guide (source) that instructed me to extract the kernel from "OS X Installed ESD/Packages/Essentials.pkg/System/Library/Kernels/”, I found a "kernel". I guess I'll use that one. (Right?)
  • In a desperate attempt for a solution, I go in search for another guide to follow---I found pokenguyen's guide.
    • I followed it to the "T," despite my doubts about it not addressing any issues about the kernel. As expected, it rebooted before any lines of code passed on my screen.
  • After being introduced to the Hackintosh Vietnam Tool by pokenguyen's guide, I then solely used version 1.8.1 of the tool to install clover as well as a config.plist, but the same automatic, quick rebooting occurs.
  • As a last resort, I tried the ##### method---knowing that it is intended for a MBR table---and my UEFI BIOS did not even recognize the boot device, and so it skipped onto GRUB 2. I guess this was to be expected.
Recently, I discovered that Haswell computers have a problem with power management, and a recurring problem seems to be the same as mine: a (what I understand to be a "KP") early-reboot caused by the kernel attempting to write to a locked MSR 0xE2(source 1, source 2). In accordance with Rehabman's instruction, I patched the kernel from the terminal and inserted the kernel back to my USB's "/System/Library/Kernels/" folder. 

Through reading many guides, I have found that there is no consensus about where the kernel should be. Some say at the root of the USB device; others say in "/System/Library/Kernels/" folder. Because of this, and my thinking that maybe the bootloader is simply not loading a kernel, I take the following action:

I made copies of this patched kernel in two different locations: (1) at the root of the USB, and, (2) in "/System/Library/Kernels/". In each location there are two patched kernels. One is named "kernel" and the other "mach_kernel" as I have seen guides use both names, so I am unsure of which one to use. My config.plist references to "mach_kernel" and not just "kernel". Is this correct behavior for the config.plist to refer to the kernel as "mach_kernel"?

Now, to close this up-

I believe that it is the kernel that is causing this rebooting issue when I try to boot from the USB because of either two reasons: (1) the kernel does not exist (or in teh wrong location) and therefore cannot boot from it, or, (2) the kernel is trying to access a protected portion--power management-- and it panics very early on, resulting in a reboot (cf. Rehabman's post).

Moreover, I just read that the early-reboot may be caused by the Mac OS X finding my DSDT file as "faulty." Do I need to patch my DSDT (Something I have stayed away from)?

Are my reasonings probable, considering that I do not have a Haswell processor but an Ivy Bridge? What are some practical troubleshooting that you may refer me to? 

I have searched and searched and searched through countless forums and guides, and have eventually come to ask this question here. I was hesistant in posting a call for help, as I wish not to bother anyone, but this is a hobby for all of us and sometimes we need to throw in the towel and ask for help. I wish you all a very good day, and hope that this incites some helpful discussion.

Thanks for your reply! Turns out that the instant reboot was caused by a BIOS setting: "Execute Disable Bit." I set it to enabled, and the next attempt was successful at showing some logging information on the BIOS screen. Now, I'm just cruising through the various errors and trying to fix each of them, but at least now I've got logging information to go off of. 

If still willing to help, one roadblock that's hassling is that it's returning me this 

Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): 

I am starting to research this atm.

Thanks for your reply! Turns out that the instant reboot was caused by a BIOS setting: "Execute Disable Bit." I set it to enabled, and the next attempt was successful at showing some logging information on the BIOS screen. Now, I'm just cruising through the various errors and trying to fix each of them, but at least now I've got logging information to go off of.

If still willing to help, one roadblock that's hassling is that it's returning me this

Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in():
I am starting to research this atm.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's just a warning. Never noticed anything like that before though so idk. What does it say before that? You should still post your config. You want to be as minimal as possible to start out with.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's just a warning. Never noticed anything like that before though so idk. What does it say before that?

I uploaded a video on youtube, recorded with good quality of course, here---(Use 720p; restricted 8mbps-originally 20mbps RAW) I couldn't figure out how to save a boot.log successfully so this video is my next best alternative.

You should still post your config. You want to be as minimal as possible to start out with.

Here is my config.plist file that I used:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Fixes</key>
			<dict>
				<key>AddDTGP_0001</key>
				<true/>
				<key>AddHDMI_8000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>AddPNLF_1000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>DeleteUnused_400000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_ACST_4000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_ADP1_800000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_RTC_20000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_S3D_2000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixAirport_4000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixDarwin_0002</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixDisplay_0100</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixFirewire_0800</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixHDA_8000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixHPET_0010</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixIPIC_0040</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixLAN_2000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixRegions_10000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixSBUS_0080</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixShutdown_0004</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixUSB_1000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>NewWay_80000000</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>CpuPm</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>DMAR</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>HaltEnabler</key>
		<true/>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<dict>
				<key>CStates</key>
				<true/>
				<key>PStates</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>-v cpus=1 kext-dev-mode=1 IntelCapriFB=4 GraphcisEnabler=No</string>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DefaultLoader</key>
		<string>boot.efi</string>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>
		<key>Secure</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>5</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ResetHDA</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AddClockID</key>
			<true/>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Mirror</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<true/>
		<key>ScreenResolution</key>
		<string>1280x1024</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>metal</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>KernelLapic</key>
		<true/>
		<key>KernelPm</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>MLB</key>
		<string>C02032109R5DC771H</string>
		<key>ROM</key>
		<string>UseMacAddr0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>Trust</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>Detect</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

I will take your advice and keep in mind to stay minimal from now on unless necessary.

Dude -_- you're using the config.plist that comes from the clover installer, it's useless btw, so you better go to the Tutorials section and explore the AIO guide to know how to generate and mod your config.

Good luck :)

And you still didnt find the answer <_< i have execute disable bit enabled, and no problem with it <_<

Yeah check out those tutorials midi mentioned and I recommend using clover configurator, especially for generating an smbios. Also I see you have every single dsdt fix enabled, I would disable them until you get it working, then read up on them on the clover wiki and enable the ones you think you need.

This isn't the first config.plist that I used. This is just the most recent one. I have used Clover Configurator many a time. I have also used countless combinations to address these issues. In all of my config files, I would have all of the ACPI options disabled, just as MIDI suggested. Same output: doesn't change a thing. I have assumed an SMBIOS before, but will try out creating a new, minimal config file that is configured by Clover Configurator solely to post its results and troubleshooting.

This isn't the first config.plist that I used. This is just the most recent one. I have used Clover Configurator many a time. I have also used countless combinations to address these issues. In all of my config files, I would have all of the ACPI options disabled, just as MIDI suggested. Same output: doesn't change a thing. I have assumed an SMBIOS before, but will try out creating a new, minimal config file that is configured by Clover Configurator solely to post its results and troubleshooting.

Ignore some of this, as I realized MOST of the configurations I tried were in an attempt to get the bootloader to show verbose logging in the very beginning, NOT to resolve the current issue. I will try adding an SMBIOS to a new, minimal config.plist created by clover and clover configurator. Thanks for the friendly reminder

I have used this config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>CpuPm</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>DMAR</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>PatchAPIC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<dict>
				<key>CStates</key>
				<true/>
				<key>PStates</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>-v cpus=1 kext-dev-mode=1</string>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DefaultLoader</key>
		<string>boot.efi</string>
		<key>Secure</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>5</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Mirror</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<true/>
		<key>ScreenResolution</key>
		<string>1280x1024</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>metal</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<true/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>KernelLapic</key>
		<true/>
		<key>KernelPm</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>MLB</key>
		<string>C02032109R5DC771H</string>
		<key>ROM</key>
		<string>UseMacAddr0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
		<string>21/03/12</string>
		<key>BiosVendor</key>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>MBP91.88Z.00D3.B00.1203211536</string>
		<key>Board-ID</key>
		<string>Mac-4B7AC7E43945597E</string>
		<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
		<key>BoardType</key>
		<integer>10</integer>
		<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
		<string>MacBook-Aluminum</string>
		<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
		<key>ChassisType</key>
		<string>08</string>
		<key>Family</key>
		<string>MacBook Pro</string>
		<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<key>Mobile</key>
		<true/>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacBookPro9,1</string>
		<key>SerialNumber</key>
		<string>C02LW984F1G4</string>
		<key>Trust</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Version</key>
		<string>1.0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>Detect</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

It resulted in the same screen. I will generate an SSDT for my CPU per the AIO Guide with the Hackintosh Vietnam tool and try that.

As of right now, I have got Mac OS X Yosemite to be installed; this was done by ignoring the previous error of "bootstrap et al." (cf. post#3,5). Thanks for your time and willingness, and I appreciate your help-

With Unbounding Love, Grace, and Peace,

-Sam L'anteigne

• Like 1