Shared drive Mac <-> Win

vijmal

22 posts in this topic

I just got my 20" iMac and installed WinXP using Bootcamp. I wanted to know if there is anyway to have a shared drive so that I can keep all my picutres/music/data etc shared between the OS's ?

Currently I have 100G for Win and the rest for Mac OS

thanks for all your help

Just create a FAT32 partition. Both Windows and MacOSX can read/write FAT32.

EDIT: downsides: you cannot have files >4GB on it (so no DVD images). Also, don't do it like 100GB partition :D FAT32 works better with smaller sizes.

I am new to macs hence these (stupid) questions:

1. can i create a partition without reinstalling the current set up?

2. do i create the partition from win or mac (any tools pl or just plain old fdisk :D )

3. can this fat32 partition be of any lenght ? or just 32 G?

EDIT: downsides: you cannot have files >4GB on it (so no DVD images). Also, don't do it like 100GB partition :D FAT32 works better with smaller sizes.

the 100G is not FAT it is NTFS. I plan to use 50 for NTFS and 50 for FAT to share the data. The question now is how to do this given that I have both the OS's installed. don't want to rebuild the iMac (again!!)

Well ... I don't have a mac so I cannot test this, but maybe you can resize your NTFS partition (with something like PartitionMagic) and then create another partition from bootcamp and format it as FAT32.

Or, you can delete the win partition and create 2 of them :) reinstall windows on one and format the other as fat32.

Format the FAT32 partition from windows.

Can someone with bootcamp please agree with what I say? (I never saw Bootcamp as I have a hktosh :D)

You should just store the media u want to share in WINDOWS...

THen in OSX make a shortcut to ur desktop of the media on the windows volume...

Nice and simple...

OS X can't write to an NTFS partition (at least that is what I know)

You didnt read what I said...

Save all media to WINDOWS...

Boot to OSX and make OSX shortcut to ur WINDOWS MEDIA FOLDER...

This is 100% possible.

Then in Windows use MACDRIVE to see ur OSX volume for bi-lateral file sharing on the same hdd...

You didnt read what I said...

Save all media to WINDOWS...

Boot to OSX and make OSX shortcut to ur WINDOWS MEDIA FOLDER...

This is 100% possible.

Then in Windows use MACDRIVE to see ur OSX volume for bi-lateral file sharing on the same hdd...

If I get this correct I would not be able to WRITE using OSX right?

Yes... NTFS is r/o on osx

but he is suggesting to write on your mac partition and then use MacDrive in windows. MacDrive can read/write mac hfs+ partition. The only downside is that macDrive is not free. Also, some users reported that is pretty unstable (you MIGHT lose files).

EDIT: downsides: you cannot have files >4GB on it (so no DVD images). Also, don't do it like 100GB partition :angel: FAT32 works better with smaller sizes.

Afaik this limitation is only, if you set up a Fat32 partition with Windows. Microsoft built this limit in to feature

their ntfs. so maybe there is a chance to store files larger than 4GB if you set up the Fat32 partition with

diskutility. Just a thought, correct me if I'm wrong.

i think you are wrong :)

this is a limitation of the FAT32 filesystem, no matter what OS creates it. It exists in linux, windows, mac os, be it created with diskutility, fdisk, parted, or any other partitioner.

FAT32 is the same on any os.

i think you are wrong :D

Yea, seems M$ made sure that it sucks 100% ... makes sense :angel:

!%#$&§ Fat32 :D

But... I have a nice one for you if you want to store DVD images on your Fat32 anyway:

Just watch them directly from .rar archieves with vlc-player - without unpacking, thanks to

this tool.

this is a limitation of the FAT32 filesystem, no matter what OS creates it. It exists in linux, windows, mac os, be it created with diskutility, fdisk, parted, or any other partitioner.

FAT32 is the same on any os.

From the Wikipedia on the subject of File Allocation Table (FAT):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GiB minus 2 B
Windows 2000 and Windows XP can read and write to FAT32 filesystems of any size, but the format program on these platforms can only create FAT32 filesystems up to 32 GB.

So, don't use Windows to format your large partition (over 32 GB) to FAT32. Use a 3rd party utility to format large partitions to FAT32.

On a side note, there is NTFS write support available for Linux now. It's called ntfs-3g using fuse (in user space, not in the kernel). I've been testing it on a Ubuntu/M$ box for a while and it's quite reliable apart perhaps from the odd zip corruption. I've read somewhere that the developers are also working on an OSX version supposedly to be implemented in the 10.5 kernel. Soon come...

On a side note, there is NTFS write support available for Linux now. It's called ntfs-3g using fuse (in user space, not in the kernel). I've been testing it on a Ubuntu/M$ box for a while and it's quite reliable apart perhaps from the odd zip corruption. I've read somewhere that the developers are also working on an OSX version supposedly to be implemented in the 10.5 kernel. Soon come...

This would be really great (and interesting!)

I'd toast my FAT32 partition if it were true. Oh please be True!!

Since Boot Camp is going to be an actual feature of 10.5, this would be a logical addition to the system. It would be nice of them to throw in a copy of MacDrive (or develop their own, hopefully free, replacement for it) for the Windows side of things too.

I used Boot Camp to install Windows XP, but cannot access Internet. I have tried the Mac Drivers CD I burned with Wizard but get nada, wired or wireless.

I used Boot Camp to install Windows XP, but cannot access Internet. I have tried the Mac Drivers CD I burned with Wizard but get nada, wired or wireless.