[Guide] 10.10 Yosemite on the Dell Venue 11 Pro [Core iX]

alex.daoud

230 posts in this topic

I replaced the aluminum shield with a copper plate and used thermal adhesive to permanently bond it to the CPU heatsink and heatpipe. I drilled holes in the plate so that the entire heatsink assembly can be removed as one unit. It made a tremendous difference in the cooling system under Windows at least.

Very interesting! Would it be possible to have a picture of this mod? It sounds really useful.

Does the copper plate stays over the battery as well? I've seen some mods where they were using a large copper plate but that was lying over the battery as well, and I think that the battery would be damaged from the heat on the long run.

Very interesting! Would it be possible to have a picture of this mod? It sounds really useful.

Does the copper plate stays over the battery as well? I've seen some mods where they were using a large copper plate but that was lying over the battery as well, and I think that the battery would be damaged from the heat on the long run.

I only have some photos of the test fitting. It basically covers the area of the original aluminum shield. The only difference in the final version is that I drilled some holes where the original heatsink screws are so that the assembly can be removed just in case I need to revert it to stock for some reason. I used 26 gauge copper. You might be able to go a little thicker but not much more. It's also very important to be careful with the thermal adhesive because it's pretty much permanent so if it oozes onto the board that could be trouble. If you're upping the TDP it really helps, otherwise there's no need to do this. Removing the exhaust vent mesh is another way to increase efficiency.

post-197463-0-71964300-1428083053_thumb.jpg

post-197463-0-45668500-1428083106_thumb.jpg

post-197463-0-87768900-1428083133_thumb.jpg

Thank you so much for the pictures! Very nice mod.

I'm thinking about starting by removing the exaust vent mesh, as already suggested. I'm just a little concerned about the possibility that on the long run dust and dirt could get inside the unit more easily from there. What do you think about it?

Just the last question, guys: last week I got an i5 4300Y 4GB model, but I still have to find the time to try an OSX install on this machine though.

Before starting, I just would like to know which is the situation about the compatibility at the moment. I don't mind if the touchscreen doesn't work, but I just would like to know if you guys in the meanwhile were able to get standby and the touchpad of the mobile keyboard to work.

Thank you so much for the pictures! Very nice mod.

I'm thinking about starting by removing the exaust vent mesh, as already suggested. I'm just a little concerned about the possibility that on the long run dust and dirt could get inside the unit more easily from there. What do you think about it?

Just the last question, guys: last week I got an i5 4300Y 4GB model, but I still have to find the time to try an OSX install on this machine though.

Before starting, I just would like to know which is the situation about the compatibility at the moment. I don't mind if the touchscreen doesn't work, but I just would like to know if you guys in the meanwhile were able to get standby and the touchpad of the mobile keyboard to work.

Sleep is definitely possible. At one stage I had a working sleep/wake cycle with only the screen refusing to turn back on but I lost the files necessary for it. I still have no idea why the touchpad doesn't work on the keyboard. It seems like some kind of USB incompatibility (it works fine in the Clover bootloader so we shouldnt really need any special drivers).

I'm currently very busy studying but this summer I'll have time to look at the tablet (and finish the touchscreen drivers I have been promising ;) )

Great. At this stage sleep would be very useful but not strictly necessary, but having the touchpad working from my point of view would be a game changer.

Maybe we could ask someone else for an advice... Rehabman, for example, the guy who who is behing voodooPS2 controller.

What do you guys think about it?

Great. At this stage sleep would be very useful but not strictly necessary, but having the touchpad working from my point of view would be a game changer.

Maybe we could ask someone else for an advice... Rehabman, for example, the guy who who is behing voodooPS2 controller.

What do you guys think about it?

I have already discussed with Rehabman and I wasn't able to get him to understand the situation. He thinks we need a new USB driver for the touchpad whereas I disagree. The generic USB HID drivers in Clover (which are exrtremely primitive) have no problem driving the touchpad in an emulated mouse state. The HID USB drivers on OS X should also have no problem. There is something fishy unrelated to compatibility going on with it....

Just an FYI for those in the US.  Partstore.com sells the bcm94352z card under Lenovo part # 20200480, $33 shipped (at least for me in Kentucky).  Apparently the stock comes and goes, but it's worth checking from time to time if you're looking for the card.  It's referenced a couple different places on Insanelymac but I figured I'd add it to the thread.

post-197463-0-49602200-1428534098_thumb.jpg

post-197463-0-71772900-1428534114_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I need to buy a WWAN card for my Venue 11 pro and I would ideally like to buy a M.2 card that could be recognised by OSX in the future.

Since it seems that the Huawei ME906E (I'm in Europe) doesn't work under OSX, do you guys know any other card that I could buy to test (other than the Sierra EM7335 that blankmac has already tried)?

Thank you

I doubt you'll find anything that works without modification. The Huawei card is actually recognized on the USB bus, but shows up as not configured. I've only tried rudimentary plist edits to get it working so I'm not sure it's a lost cause quite yet. Also, the Sierra card I tried was an older revision of the card so I feel that one is up in the air as well. To add more confusion, my Venue seems to have odd USB problems as well. The HPET fix is mandatory to get it booting OSX at all and nothing I do will allow the USB port to be recognized if the 3.0 controller is on in the bios. I also have an intermittent issue with stuttering that doesn't seem to affect the others so it's hard to say if my experience is an accurate example.

Updated to the A15 bios and my stuttering issues have vanished.  Guess my bios must have been corrupted somehow?  Anywho, are you guys able to change resolutions?  I used to be able to change to 1280x720, but now it is causing a black screen.  :-/  

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this thread is dead or not but thought I ask.

Anymore progress with your Dell 

For those who have managed to get full QE/CI working with HD4200 using the desktop ig-platform-id (0x0d220003), do you have full control of the brightness ?

I have a Sony TAP 11 tablet that uses an i5-4210Y which uses the HD4200 graphics. Booting with clover, I use FakeID of 0x04128086 and ig-platform-id of 0x0d220003 to get full qe/ci on the builtin LCD but cannot control brightness.

Not sure if this thread is dead or not but thought I ask.

Anymore progress with your Dell 

For those who have managed to get full QE/CI working with HD4200 using the desktop ig-platform-id (0x0d220003), do you have full control of the brightness ?

I have a Sony TAP 11 tablet that uses an i5-4210Y which uses the HD4200 graphics. Booting with clover, I use FakeID of 0x04128086 and ig-platform-id of 0x0d220003 to get full qe/ci on the builtin LCD but cannot control brightness.

We haven't been able to get brightness control to properly work because the internal display is an eDP whereas Apple's brightness kext expects a regular LVDS connected display. I have managed, with some old code I found somewhere, to access the brightness control methods in the ACPI tables with an IOService kext. It was slightly successful and I was able to dim the display between 0% and 50% (only because the old code was designed for a different screen). Later on when I've sorted the touchscreen out I will probably rewrite the kext to access the HD 4200's brightness controls properly.

We haven't been able to get brightness control to properly work because the internal display is an eDP whereas Apple's brightness kext expects a regular LVDS connected display. I have managed, with some old code I found somewhere, to access the brightness control methods in the ACPI tables with an IOService kext. It was slightly successful and I was able to dim the display between 0% and 50% (only because the old code was designed for a different screen). Later on when I've sorted the touchscreen out I will probably rewrite the kext to access the HD 4200's brightness controls properly.

Ok thx for the update.

Do you use the desktop platform-id of 0x0d220003 ?

BTW, what are you trying to sort out with the touchscreen ?

My touchscreen acts like the ps2 mouse.

Obviously it does not work contextually; e.g. when browsing, I cannot scroll the page with two fingers. instead it just goes into text selection mode.

But, basic simple menu selection and single click works fine.

Ok thx for the update.

Do you use the desktop platform-id of 0x0d220003 ?

BTW, what are you trying to sort out with the touchscreen ?

My touchscreen acts like the ps2 mouse.

Obviously it does not work contextually; e.g. when browsing, I cannot scroll the page with two fingers. instead it just goes into text selection mode.

But, basic simple menu selection and single click works fine.

Yes that is the ID I use. Our touchscreen is I2C and not USB therefore it does not work at all. The work I am doing will not work for you unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey boys there is someone that can create a hid i2c kext ??? :wallbash:

i have search this post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306596-ms-hid-i2c-driver-decompiled/

I would very much appreciate it if you read this thread first before posting. You will see that I have been developing a kext here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304487-i2c-hid-touchscreens-trackpads-and-more/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

it's a long since I've tried for the last time OSX on my i5 venue 11.

At the moment I'm considering the idea of selling it.

Does anyone of you guys was able to get stand-by and keyboard touchpad working at the end?

It would be a real gamechanger for me

I'm sure this is the case with the MacBook Air line, but I'd be pretty surprised if the MacBook Pro retina displays were LVDS.  Might be possible to get brightness control using the Pro smbios if we can get a stable "laptop" ig-platform-id to go along with it.