[Guide] 10.10 Yosemite on the Dell Venue 11 Pro [Core iX]

alex.daoud

230 posts in this topic

Sorry, i no longer have the venue.

Wen1, are you still running 10.10? Or have you updated it to the latest OS X release? Because I am having some issues with the internal display not working on 10.10.1 and 10.10.2.. Well if you have updated to the latest OS X version, then do you mind posting your config.plist and dsdt (if you have patched anything that is) also what version of bios are you running? I have it updated to A14.

Finally scored a 512GB ssd so I'm going to give this a try in the next few days.  I've always used Chameleon in the past so I'm not very familiar with Clover...Is there a way to set Windows as the default?  I'd rather have it that way and just use OS X when I know I have a keyboard handy.  Thanks in advance!

@altleet - What did you do to get past the "waiting for root device" issue?  I've tried a couple different USB sticks with no luck -- can't even get to the installer.  I have GenericUSBXHCI in the Extensions folder and I can see that it gets read while booting so I'm at a loss. 

@altleet - What did you do to get past the "waiting for root device" issue?  I've tried a couple different USB sticks with no luck -- can't even get to the installer.  I have GenericUSBXHCI in the Extensions folder and I can see that it gets read while booting so I'm at a loss. 

How did you create the installer USB? Are you using a distro?

I'm using beastly product from TheForumThatShan'tBeNamed and a vanilla copy of Yosemite. I created both USB keys I've tried from my real mac. If I leave off the -no-zf flag it makes it further but still stalls. What is that flag for?

I'm using ##### from TheForumThatShan'tBeNamed and a vanilla copy of Yosemite. I created both USB keys I've tried from my real mac. If I leave off the -no-zf flag it makes it further but still stalls. What is that flag for?

That was a flag I needed to use to stop random kernel panics, I'm not sure if it's needed anymore with all the progress we've made. How far does it get without -no-zf? How did you make the beast install? Desktop or Laptop?

One was desktop and the other laptop. Hard to say exactly what the problem is but I can now get it to boot to the installer with -v -f -x on the "laptop" stick. Might be a video issue since the "safe mode" flag helped.

Blankmac 

Sorry I was not following the forum these days, I've got the tablet running just fine now.. Apparently it had something to do with my installation method.. Ill Give you a very clear and simple guideline once you tell me what are your specs of the tablet? Is it the i3 or the i5 variant? 

Secondly do you have access to Mac to prepare your USB? 

Because I STRONGLY suggest you do a clean download from the Mac app store it self. 

Edit, As Ive confirmed with Alex, that the Guide is Out dated (Hopefully it will be updated soon) and most likely you'll run in to plenty of errors If you follow the guide on 1st page

here is a YouTube video I made for you and other members to see what they can expect and how the dual boot is working on clover. System boots straight to Windows without pressing any keys.  1 Second time out.

And after Restarting I can use a mouse or usb keyboard to navigate on the clover menu and simply select the apple logo that will get me right in to the OSX 10.10.2

I will write a short guide and Upload all the necessary files you'll need to achieve this. 

• Like 1

Format a 8GB+ USB with GUID partition mapping and name it Install.

Insure the OS X Yosemite.app is in your Application folder.

In terminal run the following script:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

Make sure your USB Drive is named "Install"

After the process is done your USB will be called Install OS X Yosemite or so

And then download the Zip file I have uploaded on my dropbox, it has all the needed kexts and clover file along with my config.plist

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ww3j0wasuqyq1nl/OSX%20DELL%20ESSENTIALS.zip?dl=0

So install clover on your Install OS X Yosemite USB Using these customisation options

post-1418966-0-78543600-1425960486_thumb.png

post-1418966-0-07431200-1425960499_thumb.png

post-1418966-0-55643400-1425960506_thumb.png

After your clover installation settings match the pictures above,  then go ahead and install it. Make sure its installing on the USB you prepared with the terminal command.

Once that is done, You'll have a new partition appear among your drives called EFI

Navigate In to EFI/Clover and replace the config.plist with the one I have provided in my folder

Next, Navigate in to EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 and copy all the kexts I have provided in the "essential kexts" Folder to "EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10"

Thats it for the USB preparation.

LIST OF THINGS YOU'LL NEED:

A USB 2.0 HUB with  at least 3 working ports

A USB Wired or wireless keyboard and mouse (Not Bluetooth)

AND Make Sure your power is connected.

BIOS SETTINGS

Enable your USB 3.0 controller 

Enable legacy boot support

and then in the boot sequence enable Legacy boot

You can enable all the performance options : 

• Intel SpeedStep
  • C-states control
  • Intel Turboboost
  • Hyperthread control

Apply settings and exit (make sure your USB Hub is connected with the keyboard, Mouse, prepared USB)

INSTALLATION

Now when the computer starts 2 second after being on the Dell Logo; Press the "Volume Up" button on the tablet

At this point you should see some boot options along with your USB Listed

Look for your UEFI:(yourUSBNAME) and press enter on it. 

Now you should be on clover Boot loader options.

Select the Install OS X Yosemite USB and proceed with the installation

Make sure you Format the partition as GUID Partition map and MAC OS Journaled

If you intend on Dual booting you should select "2 partition" options and then adjust the partition size of OS X partition.

POST INSTALLATION

Install Clover again using the same settings to your "OS X Yosemite partition"

it will automatically make an EFI drive on your computer 

Again Copy the Config.plist I have provided and replace it with the default one in the EFI/Clover

Same with the Kexts, Copy the Kexts Provided on to you EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10

Good Luck, and feel free to ask any questions if you have.

No problem, had a lot of help from Alex getting around this simplicity along with some google search. 

What to expect: 

Graphics with QE/CI should work during installation and after installation 

GenericUSBXCHI.Kext is buggy will cause Shut down delays and Restart Delays ( at times if you unplug / re plug USB Devices while the system is running, expect it to stop working) (only way around this is to force down power and reboot it)

I am working on a DSDT patch fix to fix some minor issues ( Once its ready ill upload it for you to use it)

Wifi (depends on what card you are using) - Intel 7260 AC Wifi will not work

Bluetooth sometime works sometime does not ( its buggy for now)

Power management is crappy for now

Sleep does not work.

I would suggest you to go system profile and to energy options and move display and sleep to never on battery and on A/C -- Because once the display goes off it does not come back on.. Probably there is a fix i don't know yet

O2 Micro SDHC controller is not functional yet, mostly because of my poor knowledge with editing kexts (AppleSDXC.kext must be edited)

Finger print sensor not sure.. 

Both webcams should work out of the box.. 

Speaker sound works along with mic.. so you should be able to skype on it

Internal audio jack is missing some sound details 50% functional id say.. (Probably there is a fix) 

Touch screen not functional yet, counting on Alex on that, But seems like its going to be delayed for sometime ( few months) 

NFC probably not ? 

External Battery keyboard / Dock not sure - Don't have one

Dont know what else I missed out.. Let me know if you think of something

I'm on A14 for the Bios.  I did copy everything to the right places but I didn't change ownership or mess with the permissions on the kexts.  Not familiar with clover so I don't know if that matters or not.  I'm going to set all the kexts to root:wheel just in case.   Do I need to patch the kernel still?  Or is clover handling that?

i have ticked the right flags for you in clover, Kernel PM Flag handles the Haswell patch.. and Kext-dev-mode=-1 flag allows unsigned kexts to load.. GenericUSBXCHI along with some other kexts needs that flag to be able to load..

as far as I know you do not need to change permissions on the kexts if they are in clover/kexts/10.10

does the USB keyboard or mouse plugged on your usb hub function on clover boot loader screen? 

btw which OS X version are you using?

I hope you have downloaded a new copy of 10.10.2 of App Store and it is placed in your Applications folder in mac, and that you have prepared the USB using instruction i provided

i have ticked the right flags for you in clover, Kernel PM Flag handles the Haswell patch.. and Kext-dev-mode=-1 flag allows unsigned kexts to load.. GenericUSBXCHI along with some other kexts needs that flag to be able to load..

This is incorrect, it should be kext-dev-mode=1, I am assuming that it is just a typo.

First you should delete VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext and VoodooPS2Mouse.kext from VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns, they are useless and only serve to increase boot time and clutter IOLog.

To be honest, if you're still trying to install it, remove all kexts from Clover injection apart from FakeSMC.kext and GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Post the output of the IOLog if it freezes again. Make sure you always boot without caches (press spacebar on the selection and choose without cache). Also try booting in safe mode and see what that gives.

I'll double check the boot flag and pare down the kexts a bit.  I don't think my hub is at fault as it failed in the same fashion with just the installer usb plugged in.  Interestingly, the battery keyboard/touchpad were functioning just fine at the clover boot menu.  I figured the keyboard would work but not the touchpad, but both were operational.

I'll double check the boot flag and pare down the kexts a bit.  I don't think my hub is at fault as it failed in the same fashion with just the installer usb plugged in.  Interestingly, the battery keyboard/touchpad were functioning just fine at the clover boot menu.  I figured the keyboard would work but not the touchpad, but both were operational.

Keyboard and touchpad work on Clover. Only keyboard works in OS X. I have yet to figure out the reason why the touchpad fails to respond (even though it is picked up as a mouse) in OS X.

Yeah thats a typo.. @Alex

Some of the kexts there aren't necessary..But I use them anyways.. Does not hamper my system in anyway. Ive used the exact same method for installation preparation over 3 - 4 times in a row and I can confirm it works.. 

At this point I can only think of issue that could be causing this.. That is the usb or the genericusbxchi not loading.. Do you have other USB drives around? Btw what are things plugged on your USB HUB? 

Also, is it a USB 3.0 hub or 2.0? (i don't think it matters but could be a factor)

Yeah thats a typo.. @Alex

Some of the kexts there aren't necessary..But I use them anyways.. Does not hamper my system in anyway. Ive used the exact same method for installation preparation over 3 - 4 times in a row and I can confirm it works.. 

At this point I can only think of issue that could be causing this.. That is the usb or the genericusbxchi not loading.. Do you have other USB drives around? Btw what are things plugged on your USB HUB? 

Also, is it a USB 3.0 hub or 2.0? (i don't think it matters but could be a factor)

I agree that the kexts works fine. They are, however, blocking the top part of the log from showing and it could contain information as to why the system is stopping. I do think its a USB issue though, I experienced the same thing when using a cheap 8gb USB stick. I would recommend a proper USB harddrive to be honest.

Ok, no matter what I try it still fails with the whole waiting for root device bit.  My hub is USB 2.0 and only the keyboard, mouse, and usb stick have been plugged in.  I've tried two different sticks so I guess I agree it's time to try an actual hard drive to see if that's the problem.  Going to scab the one from the TV which will annoy my wife but she'll just have to understand!  lol.  I'll let you guys know if it helps shortly.

Ok, so no change when using an actual hard drive, regardless of whether its through a USB hub or directly plugged into the DV11.  No combination of kexts or booting in safe mode changes the end result.  It always fails at waiting for root device.  Trying to boot without caches cause it to fail immediately without attempting a thing.  I'm using 10.10.2 downloaded yesterday from the app store as my base and am creating the installer on a real mac.  Since you guys have success with this particular setup, I'm starting to think that I have a motherboard variant or something.  Here's a pic of my latest fail.  I wish I knew more about this stuff, I can follow instructions with the best of them, but I'm pretty much useless at troubleshooting this type of install.

post-197463-0-76441600-1426037818_thumb.jpg