[GUIDE] ASRock H97 Pro4 Yosemite with Clover UEFI Installation

rednous

120 posts in this topic

This guide is intended to share my experience with the successful Yosemite installation on ASRock H97 Pro4 using Clover UEFI boot.

Guide contents:

1. Hardware specifications
2. Preparing Clover USB thumb with Yosemite
3. Installing Yosemite
4. Post installation

5. Files & links

6. Credits

7. Update to 10.10.1

8. Update to 10.10.2

1. Hardware specifications:

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Pro4 AMI UEFI BIOS v.1.60

CPU: Intel i5-4460 @ 3,2GHz
SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB
Video: Gigabyte nVidia GTX 750 2GB DDR5 RAM
Audio: Realtek ALC892
Ethernet: Intel I218-V
RAM: 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX @ 1600MHz

ASRock H97 Pro4 is a wonderful choice for building a working Yosemite Hackintosh. The board doesn't have locked MSR registers in the BIOS and thus the BIOS image doesn't need a PM Patching.

Thanks to the correct CPU settings in the BIOS (Advanced / CPU Configuration) and some Clover fixes these work flawlessly:

1. Native CPU Power Management (XCPM mode)

2. Restart

3. Shutdown

4. Sleep

5. Wake from Sleep (either via keyboard of mouse)

6. USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports

2. Preparing Clover USB thumb with Yosemite

If you don't have access to a real Mac or Hackintosh you can do the preparation procedure on Windows with the help of BootDiskUtility 

2.1. Preparing the USB thumb drive with Yosemite and Clover on a real Mac or Hackintosh:

You'll need a 8GB USB thumb drive, the "Install OS X Yosemite.app" (make sure it resides in the /Applications folder). Using Disk Utility format the thumb drive with GUID partition mapping and name it "Install" (without the quotes, the name Install is used by the below terminal command). Then open Terminal and paste the following command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

You'll be asked to enter your password, type it and hit enter. The copying process will take up to max 1015 minutes.

Install Clover r2960 (download link at the end of this post) to the USB thumb drive with checked Install for UEFI booting only option:

160bojq.png

After the successful installation of Clover the EFI folder will be mounted and opened by default.

Copy FakeSMC.kext (mandatory for booting OS X) to /EFI/Clover/kext/10.10 (manually create the 10.10 folder):

2eulurk.png

Overwrite the original config.plist file located here /EFI/Clover/config.plist with this config.plist. I'm posting my initial config.plist for saving you a time testing Clover settings and avoiding KPs (kernel panics) during the initial boot with Clover.

Copy HFSPlus.efi to /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/ and delete VBoxHFS.efi from the same folder (example below):

beir9g.png

Don't remove the USB thumb, it will be used to boot Clover and to install Yosemite.

2.2. UEFI BIOS setup

Restart the system and hit F2 to enter the UEFI BIOS setup.

Make sure the below settings are setup as following:

Advanced / Chipset Configuration:

Primary Graphics Adapter = PCI Express

VT-d = Disabled

IGPU = Disabled

Advanced / CPU Configuration [CPU PM (native XCPM mode) & flawless Sleep and Wake]:

CPU C States Support = Enabled

Enhanced Halt Support (C1E) = Enabled

CPU C3 State Support = Disabled

CPU C6 State Support = Auto

CPU C7 State Support = Auto

Package C State Support = C6

Advanced / Storage Configuration:

SATA Controller(s) = Enabled

SATA Mode Selection = AHCI

Advanced:

Intel Rapid Start Technology = Disabled

Intel Smart Connect Technology = Disabled

Advanced / ACPI Configuration:

Suspend to RAM = Auto

Check Ready Bit = Enabled

ACPI HPET Table = Enabled

RTC Alarm Power On = By OS (this setting doesn't cause system waking on every 2 hours!)

USB Keyboard / Remote Power On = Enabled

USB Mouse Power On = Enabled

Advanced / USB Configuration:

USB Controller = Enabled

Intel USB3.0 Mode = Smart Auto

Legacy USB Support = Enabled

Legacy USB3.0 Support = Enabled

USB Compatibility Patch = Disabled

Boot:

CSM (Compatibility Support Module) = Disabled

Security:

Secure Boot = Disabled

Save these settings and exit the UEFI BIOS setup.

3. Installing Yosemite

Skip this step ONLY if you already have your DSDT extracted:

Where can you obtain the initial DSDT that needs to be patched? There are different ways involving Windows, Linux or OS X. If you were able to start Clover somehow, you can enter its GUI and press F4. If Clover was installed on a FAT32 partition, then it will be able to save all ORM ACPI tables, including DSDT and FADT. The process can take a while, especially when saving many tables to a USB flash drive. This is especially useful when you have no access to other means of extracting the table set, for example with AIDA64.

This is very useful Clover feature! Wait 10—15 seconds for Clover to complete the process. Your original DSDT.aml extracted by Clover will be located in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/original/DSDT.aml.

3.1. Booting from the Clover USB thumb with the Yosemite installation

Make sure the USB thumb is attached to USB 2.0 port before booting the Yosemite installation!

3.1.1. Boot USB thumb to Clover and select "Install OS X Yosemite", hit enter, the installation will begin. Initial installation will prepare the drive of your choice for approx. 58 min and then the system will be restarted.

3.1.2. Again boot the USB to Clover and select "Install OS X Yosemite". This time the final installation will take up to 10—15 mins and again will restart the system.

3.1.3. Boot for third time with the Clover USB thumb and boot to your freshly installed Yosemite SSD or HDD.

4. Post installation

Install Clover to your Yosemite boot drive (select Install for UEFI booting only), use the same settings as in section 2.1. Again, after successful Clover installation the Yosemite EFI folder will be mounted and opened by default. Copy FakeSMC.kext (mandatory for booting OS X) to /EFI/Clover/kext/10.10 (manually create the 10.10 folder).

Copy CLOVERX64.efi to the root of the EFI folder and rename it to SHELLX64.efi, and make sure now the Clover EFI folder looks like this:

24lk7px.png

4.1. Adding Clover to BIOS UEFI boot menu:

The goal of this procedure is to add Clover as a boot item in the BIOS UEFI Boot menu and to get rid of the Clover USB thumb as a boot option. 

4.1.1. Restart the system and boot again with the Clover USB thumb drive. You'll see a screen similar to the below (depends on the chosen theme during Clover installation):

29z6iaa.jpg

4.1.2. Go to Start UEFI Shell 64 (the highlighted icon) and hit enter. Shortly after you'll get the below screen: 

2rro5j7.jpg

Find bootx64.efi on HDD EFI partition with the combination of the following commands:

Shell> map fs* ➝ Show all partitions
Shell> fs0: (or fs1: or fs2: ...)Switch to fs0, fs1, fs2,... partitions
Shell> ls List the contents of current partition / directory
Shell> cd \efi\boot  Change the directory to \efi\boot

Shell> ls

Then:

Shell> help bcfg -b -v ➝ Get help on bcfg command 

Shell> bcfg boot dump  List current boot options

Shell> bcfg boot add N bootx64.efi "Clover" ➝ Add bootx64.efi from the current dir (\efi\boot) as a boot option labeled "Clover" (You will see this name also in the UEFI BIOS Boot menu boot items). N is the boot option number: 0 if you want it to be the first, 1 to be the second, etc.

Shell> bcfg boot dump ➝ Check if Clover is added

Shell> reset ➝ Restart the system and load Clover from SSD / HDD

4.2. Installing the nVidia GTX 750 / 750 Ti web drivers (Optional, only if you have GTX 750 / 750 Ti):

4.2.1. Get the nVidia web driver pkg from here.

4.2.2. Download Pacifist.

4.2.3. Install the new nVidia driver by opening it up in Pacifist, right clicking on the 1.3-63-343.01.01f01-NVWebDrivers.pkg and install it to the Yosemite drive (no need to manually extract and install kexts):

wjxpv5.png

4.2.4. Open Clover config.plist and add the following arguments to the Boot section: kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1
4.2.5. Install the nVidia web driver again — clicking on the pkg file (without using Pacifist).
4.2.6. Restart the system.

4.3. Installing the Intel I218-V kext:

Get AppleIntelE1000e.kext from this post and use Kext Utility to install it to /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E).

4.4. Installing the Realtek ALC892 kext:

Wonderful and easy methods to get Realtek ALC working. Personally, I used method "3. cloverALC/Clover patched" from their guide and am having onboard sound working. Here's mine realtecALC.kext created with this method (kext goes to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/).

5. Files & links

Clover r2960

1. config [initial USB Yosemite Install H97 Pro4].plist

2. config [Final boot with I218-V + Audio + TRIM + DSDT injected fixes H97 Pro4].plist

Clover Wiki | Clover on Project OSX

6. Credits

The whole Clover team for their massive work and support: apiantiasavablusseaudmazarslice

dmazar for the UEFI boot with Clover guide

hnak for compiling the Linux sources and maintaining the driver versions fresh

toleda and Piker-Alpha for their Realtec ALC massive work

7. Update to 10.10.1

The update went flawlessly since I don't have patched kexts in /S/L/E. Installed the new nVidia web drivers for 10.10.1. 

8. Update to 10.10.2

Updated to 10.10.2, restated, and surprise — the system stuck at [AGPM controller: unknown platform]. Restarted again and booted with kernel flag nv_disable=1 (it was nvda_drv=1 before). System booted normally, but with graphic issues. Installed the new nVidia web drivers for 10.10.2. Then reverted back to nvda_drv=1 kernel flag, rebuilt the kernel cache, restarted and the graphic issues went. Applied again the method described here.

Tip: To avoid the above situation, first update to the latest 10.10.2 nVidia web drivers and after then update to 10.10.2.

Note: Feel free to share your experience and suggestions in order to make the guide even more clear and easy to follow.

Edited by rednous
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide! Work perfectly!

I just had trouble with random freeze on my system until I uninstalled 2x2gb of ram (had 2x4gb & 2x2gb).

I don't know if its something about being over 8gb or one of the 2gb stick may be faulty... I still got to test them.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Yes, I do :) At least System Information / SATA/SATA Express says TRIM is enabled.

That's awesome! 

By the way, I followed your guide but I installed Mavericks instead. 

Below are some of the problems I encountered which might be helpful for others.

1. Do not copy the AppleIGB.kext and realtekALC.kext into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts during the first installation stage. You won't be able to boot. 

2. Do not use the final config.plist provided here at the very beginning. Again, you won't be able to boot. 

**** [IOBluetoothHCIController][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth 

If you see the above, do the following 

Boot -s. When you see the prompt "root:", then:

Type: mount -uw /

Type: cd /System/Library/Extensions

Type: mkdir intel_back

Type: mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelF* intel_back/

Type: touch ../Extensions

Reboot 

source: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/111111-stuck-missing-bluetooth-controller-transport.html)

However, I am currently only seeing 7MB of ram allocated to Intel HD4600 under "About This Mac >> More Info >> Displays". I experience stuttering graphics. 

Now, my installation is not completely successful yet. 

I used kext utility 2.6.1 to install AppleIGB.kext by simply dragging the kext into the utility. Is this the correct way? I can't add any ethernet interface under "Network" which means the ethernet is not properly installed. 

Cheers,

Robin.

Great guide! Work perfectly!

I just had trouble with random freeze on my system until I uninstalled 2x2gb of ram (had 2x4gb & 2x2gb).

I don't know if its something about being over 8gb or one of the 2gb stick may be faulty... I still got to test them.

Thanks again!

Thank you :)

I've been experiencing such issues long time ago and as far as I can remember it was due to the mixed brands / sizes / clocks of the RAM modules.

That's awesome! 

By the way, I followed your guide but I installed Mavericks instead. 

Below are some of the problems I encountered which might be helpful for others.

1. Do not copy the AppleIGB.kext and realtekALC.kext into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts during the first installation stage. You won't be able to boot. 

2. Do not use the final config.plist provided here at the very beginning. Again, you won't be able to boot. 

**** [IOBluetoothHCIController][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth 

If you see the above, do the following 

Boot -s. When you see the prompt "root:", then:

Type: mount -uw /

Type: cd /System/Library/Extensions

Type: mkdir intel_back

Type: mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelF* intel_back/

Type: touch ../Extensions

Reboot 

source: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/111111-stuck-missing-bluetooth-controller-transport.html)

However, I am currently only seeing 7MB of ram allocated to Intel HD4600 under "About This Mac >> More Info >> Displays". I experience stuttering graphics. 

Now, my installation is not completely successful yet. 

I used kext utility 2.6.1 to install AppleIGB.kext by simply dragging the kext into the utility. Is this the correct way? I can't add any ethernet interface under "Network" which means the ethernet is not properly installed. 

Cheers,

Robin.

Glad to hear that this guide is working with Mavericks, too. It'll be very good if you specify your hardware config as I did it in the very first post.

A simple, but powerful rule — the lesser the kexts and Clover fixes during install the lesser the problems. You don't need audio and network during the installation, only FakeSMC.kext which is mandatory for proper booting / functioning of OS X. The audio, network and other specific kexts are for the post installation process.

The system hangs at Missing Bluetooth, because shortly after that the video drivers have to be loaded, but they aren't, because due to some reason the PCI Express video isn't supported (lack of drivers for newer chips like Maxwell, etc.) by either 10.9 or 10.10 (my case with GTX 750 was this). The workaround for this issue is to set the iGPU as a primary graphics (disable the PCI Express video), make a successful installation and after that install the nVidia web drivers like I did with GTX 750 and 10.10. 

Yep, using Kext Utility is a great choice for installing / maintaining kext(s). Please note that if you have I217 or I218 PCI network adapter you have to use AppleIntelE1000e.kext, and not AppleIGB.kext!

Glad to hear that this guide is working with Mavericks, too. It'll be very good if you specify your hardware config as I did it in the very first post.

A simple, but powerful rule — the lesser the kexts and Clover fixes during install the lesser the problems. You don't need audio and network during the installation, only FakeSMC.kext which is mandatory for proper booting / functioning of OS X. The audio, network and other specific kexts are for the post installation process.

The system hangs at Missing Bluetooth, because shortly after that the video drivers have to be loaded, but they aren't, because due to some reason the PCI Express video isn't supported (lack of drivers for newer chips like Maxwell, etc.) by either 10.9 or 10.10 (my case with GTX 750 was this). The workaround for this issue is to set the iGPU as a primary graphics (disable the PCI Express video), make a successful installation and after that to install the nVidia web drivers like I did with GTX 750 and 10.10. 

Yep, using Kext Utility is a great choice for installing / maintaining kext(s). Please note that if you have I217 or I218 PCI network adapter you have to use AppleIntelE1000e.kext, and not AppleIGB.kext!

My config is as follow. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 4/4 3.2-3,4GHz 6MB L3

Mobo: Asrock H97 Pro 4

RAM: Crucial 16G (8G x2) Ballistic Sport

HDD: Toshiba 3.5" 1TB

SSD: 120GB Sandisk Ultra 2

Casing: Sharkoon VS4-V

PSU: Acbel iPowerG 750 ATX

I am still figuring out how to enable full support for Intel HD4600 in Yosemite. Yes, I switched to Yosemite hoping that it would solve the graphics problem. With only 7MB of VRAM allocated for HD4600, the graphics is very sluggish.

Would you mind to shed some lights on what are the essential fixes required on Clover's config.plist? Do you use Clover configurator?

I am still figuring out how to enable full support for Intel HD4600 in Yosemite. Yes, I switched to Yosemite hoping that it would solve the graphics problem. With only 7MB of VRAM allocated for HD4600, the graphics is very sluggish.

Aaa, nice that you published your hardware specs :) Almost the same as mine, just without PCI Express video.

Im almost sure (can't tell 100% cause Im using the PCI Express video) you can fix the Intel HD4600 with the FIX_INTELGFX_100000 = Yes (Root/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes/FIX_INTELGFX_100000) and Intel = Yes (Root/Graphics/Inject/Intel) in Clover config.plist.

Would you mind to shed some lights on what are the essential fixes required on Clover's config.plist? Do you use Clover configurator?

No, I wouldn't mind and will share also my latest Clover r3028 config.plist along with some explanations:

These are the config.plist DSDT fixes Im using right now:

1. AddDTGP_0001 = Yes (fix explanation on Clover Wiki); Honestly, Im wondering if I should turn this off.
  2. DeleteUnused_400000 = Yes (deletes unused devices in the DSDT, like Serial Port, Speaker, Floppy, etc. obsolete)
  3. FIX_S3D_2000000 = Yes (resolves some Sleep/Wake problems by correcting _S3D methods)
  4. FixLAN_2000 = Yes (injects built-in to the Ethernet card which is necessary for it to work properly with the AppleIntelE1000e.kext)
  5. FixUSB_1000 = Yes (fix USB issues for USB1.0, USB2.0 and USB3.0)
  6. NewWay_80000000 = Yes (defines that all of the above bits will work the new way)

Im using KernelPm=Yes In KernelAndKextPatches, because without this enabled it turned out that I'm having Power Management, BUT the CPU is running at it's highest frequency most of the time (speedstep is barely working)! 

Easy and very useful tip how to mount / unmount hidden EFI Partitions with Disk Utility:

open Terminal and issue this command:

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

then close Terminal, open Disk Utility and you'll have Debug menu next to the Window menu. Open Debug menu, go and tick Show every partition.

After that you'll have something similar (respectively Mount / Unmount "EFI"):   

volf78.png

Im using the kernel boot argument nvda_drv=1 in the Root/Boot/Arguments, because I have nVidia GTX 750 and this key enables the card and the drivers. You have to remove this key!

The kernel boot argument kext-dev-mode=1 has to stay, because this way we're using unsigned kexts (like FakeSMC.kext and AppleIntelE1000e.kext) without loosing system functionality or getting kernel panics!

Recently discovered by trials and errors that proper settings in Advanced / CPU Configuration BIOS menu (settings added in the very first post of this thread) along with the one of the below (DSDT + SSDT generated by script and DSDT only) is very important for the proper Sleep and Wake from Sleep (either via keyboard or mouse).

DSDT:

You can have native CPU power management (XCPM or XNU CPU Power Management introduced with Mavericks) using the originally extracted DSDT.aml by Clover (Hit F4 at the Clover GUI). DSDT.aml will be saved in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin. Root/ACPI/SSDT settings have to look like this:

DropOem = Yes

Generate/CStates = Yes

Generate/PStates = Yes

How to check if the CPU power management is working?

One way is to issue this command in Terminal:

grep kernel /var/log/system.log

and you'll see the long lost of the kernel log and the following lines should be almost at the end of the log (freshly booted system):

localhost kernel[0]: XCPM: registered
localhost kernel[0]: IOPPF: XCPM mode
localhost kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendPStates - Success!
The above means you're having native and proper CPU power management :)

The other way is to use Intel® Power Gadget (it's free, current version is 3.0.1):

sybbm8.png 2yy4f9k.png

You'll also find useful fixes for the SATA disk(s) seen as internal and enabled TRIM on SSD disk(s) by looking into the KernelAndKextPatches config.plist section (link at the beginning of this post).

I used Clover Configurator only for generating the SMBIOS section of the Clover config.plist (Im using iMac 14,2) — pretty useful!

Take you time and study my config.plist :) I already explained most of the important Clover configs.

My advice is to change Clover config.plist at small steps and to test before applying new changes / setups.

Hey rednous, just wanted to say a big thank you for your post! I've got a Gigabyte H97-D3H and SSDT/DSDT has always confused me, but your post made things pretty clear. SpeedStep is working perfectly now and for the first time ever, I have native power management options available in Energy Saver preferences. Thank you!

I chose iMac15,1 for system definition as I figured (minus monitor of course) that my i7-4790 was pretty close to the iMac15,1 i7-4790k CPU. Assuming there's no stability issues, should I just keep it on this SMBIOS setting?

powergadget.png

energysaver.png

• Like 1

Hey rednous, just wanted to say a big thank you for your post! I've got a Gigabyte H97-D3H and SSDT/DSDT has always confused me, but your post made things pretty clear. SpeedStep is working perfectly now and for the first time ever, I have native power management options available in Energy Saver preferences. Thank you!

Hi skittlebrau, and thank you for the kind words :) Im glad you've managed to complete my guide on a similar motherboard and you've a native CPU power management :)

I chose iMac15,1 for system definition as I figured (minus monitor of course) that my i7-4790 was pretty close to the iMac15,1 i7-4790k CPU. Assuming there's no stability issues, should I just keep it on this SMBIOS setting?

iMac15,1 is OK, and since you don't have any issues just keep it.

energysaver.png

I would advise you to uncheck the Wake for network access box, because you might experience system wake ups due to some network activity, unless you're accessing your computer from a remote place (from the office for example).

One thing did happen when I performed an overnight test of sleep, I found my system had turned off and my Yosemite partition was listed as 'hibernated' in Clover. I tried to boot it up as usual, but I just got a black screen. I rebooted, hit 'Spacebar' and then had to use the 'Cancel hibernate wake' option.

The odd thing is that according to pmset, hibernatemode was set to '0' already. Any reason you think that might have happened?

Would adding NeverHibernate to Clover boot arguments stop it from doing this again?

pmset.png

One thing did happen when I performed an overnight test of sleep, I found my system had turned off and my Yosemite partition was listed as 'hibernated' in Clover. I tried to boot it up as usual, but I just got a black screen. I rebooted, hit 'Spacebar' and then had to use the 'Cancel hibernate wake' option.

This is strange behaviour. I had similar, but resolved it with these particular settings in my BIOS and respective Clover DSDT / SSDT fixes (explained in previous posts above):

Advanced / CPU Configuration [CPU PM (native XCPM mode) & flawless Sleep and Wake]:

CPU C States Support = Enabled

Enhanced Halt Support (C1E) = Enabled

CPU C3 State Support = Disabled

CPU C6 State Support = Auto

CPU C7 State Support = Auto

Package C State Support = C6

and got rid of this nasty kernel.log message (the video card isn't matched for video card PM):

[AGPM controller: unknown platform]

I used the method described here to successfully get rid of the aforementioned error message and now am having this is the kernel.log:

[AGPM Controller] build GPUDict by Vendor10deDevice1381

The odd thing is that according to pmset, hibernatemode was set to '0' already. Any reason you think that might have happened?

Would adding NeverHibernate to Clover boot arguments stop it from doing this again?

pmset.png

My pmset -g result looks similar to yours:

Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
 standby              1
 Sleep On Power Button 1
 womp                 0
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 darkwakes            0
 networkoversleep     0
 disksleep            15
 sleep                75
 autopoweroffdelay    14400
 hibernatemode        0
 autopoweroff         1
 ttyskeepawake        1
 displaysleep         75
 standbydelay         4200

so don't think here's the problem. Yes, you can try the NeverHibernate Clover key, but think it won't solve the problem.

I think that you have some video issue (as said before the AGPM controller: unknown platform) and with combination with the not so right BIOS settings (but can't be 100% sure, cause you motherboard is Gigabyte, mine ASRock, although they both have H97 chipset) leads you to this messy wake from sleep.

A little advice from me — put your detailed hardware specs in your signature   :)

Cool thanks for the reply. 

I did the AGPM kext edit and got rid of the "unknown platform" error message. A good amount of difference in Cinebench results!

BEFORE

cinebench-before.png

AFTER

cinebench-after.png

I couldn't get the Clover injection method to work, but doing the kext edit only takes a few seconds anyway.

Based on what other GTX 780 users here have said, fixing the "unknown platform" message caused sleep to work properly. I'll see how I go later. Thanks!

• Like 1

I've finally got Yosemite running well with most things I need working. After several attempts the Vietnam tool proved very useful to get things working which I was initially struggling with like Realtek 1150 audio.

My issue now is booting off the SSD. I've followed the guide to add clover to the top of the boot priorities via UEFI shell and > bcfg boot dump reports that this has been done.

However, when I reboot I get the message "please reboot and select proper boot device"

Could I be missing something?

My system is:

ASRock Extreme9/ac

I7 4790k

Asus Nvidia GT760

16GB Crucial Ballistix

2 X Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Apple 27" Thunderbolt Monitor

I'm able to boot via USB with no problem.

However, when I reboot I get the message "please reboot and select proper boot device"

Could I be missing something?

I'm able to boot via USB with no problem.

I think you definately miss something... Let's try to figure it out.

1. Do you have Clover installed with proper folder and file structure for UEFI boot in the EFI partition of your Yosemite boot SSD?

2. Some Clover config.plist miss configuration?

3. Something's wrong with the configuration in the initial UEFI Shell

4. Do you have "Clover" (the name might differ in your BIOS) added as a boot item in the BIOS UEFI Boot menu?

I see that you have 2 identical SSDs — are they working in RAID?

A little advice from me — put your detailed hardware specs in your signature :)

OK.

1) Clover was initially installed onto the EFI partition of my Yosemite SSD which I assume is the correct file structure. I've since installed the latest version V3048, although in the Clover pane I'm seeing:

"Current booted version: 3021

Last installed revision: 3048"

Not sure why it's not booting the latest update?

2) Vietnam setup my config.plist and placed it on my desktop along with relevant DSDT Patches folder. (Should these be copied somewhere else, i.e. EFI? I did copy the config.plist to /EFI/ Clover but it didn't seem to make too much difference. 

3) I did the UEFI configuration several times copying your instructions exactly. It shows that Clover is first boot when running the boot dump. However, when re-starting and running boot dump again the Clover option is no longer there. It's like it doesn't save after restarting.

4) I don't see Clover at all in my Bios menu. 

The other SSD is for Windows 7 and is currently unplugged as it has been since installing Yosemite.

Will check everything again and sort my sig if I get chance before heading off to work.

OK, few more tries and still not working.

I've copied the config.plist to the Clover dir as a precaution but that doesn't make any difference.

I think my problem is Bios related as I cannot see the Clover option in my Bios boot options. Similarly if I try and boot into the UEFI shell from the exit menu of the Bios is shows a file not found error "Please install shellx64.efi to root directory". SHELLX64.efi is currently located at /EFI/SHELLX64.efi

The Bios on my ASRock Extreme9/ac is V.2.30 (Latest Version released 7/28/2014) 

I've realised that the current booted clover version is probably because I've booted off USB and not SSD.

I have fixed the boot issue now and have successfully booted Clover from my SSD. The issue was with SHELLX64.efi being in the EFI folder and not in the root of the partition.

Only thing is that booting from the hard drive has wiped my Realtek audio settings and I now have no playback devices. Need to figure that out though. Thanks for the excellent guide though in your original post. It proved extremely useful once I figured out where I'd gone wrong!

• Like 1

I have fixed the boot issue now and have successfully booted Clover from my SSD. The issue was with SHELLX64.efi being in the EFI folder and not in the root of the partition.

Only thing is that booting from the hard drive has wiped my Realtek audio settings and I now have no playback devices. Need to figure that out though. Thanks for the excellent guide though in your original post. It proved extremely useful once I figured out where I'd gone wrong!

Good news :)

The audio is easy once you have a working system. You can use the tested and working audio setup method in the very first post.

I have a motherboard similar to yours, Asrock z97 Pro4. I used your guide to migrate from Chimaera/Chameleon to Clover and to set up my UEFI settings. Most everything seems to be running fine, with the exception of AirPlay, fan speed (they always run 1200-2400rpm all the time), front panel audio (possible motherboard/case mismatch), iMessage/FaceTime/App Store, and sleep.

My specs are:

Motherboard: Asrock z97 Pro4

CPU: i5-4670 3.4GHz

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX760 Dual Superclocked

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1x8GB 1866MHz

SSD: Corsair Force Series LS 120GB

HDD: Toshiba DT01AAC

PSU: Corsair CX430M

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0

Monitor: Asus VS247H-P

Most of the issues I listed above I can work with and I know that iMessage/FaceTime/App Store are problems for all hackintoshes. Sleep, however, is the one thing I really want working. I've followed the suggestions in your above posts (using DSDT also) and I still cannot get sleep working.

My "pmset -g":

Active Profiles:

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

standby              1

Sleep On Power Button 1

womp                 1

hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage

darkwakes            0

networkoversleep     0

disksleep            0

sleep                0

autopoweroffdelay    14400

hibernatemode        0

autopoweroff         1

ttyskeepawake        1

displaysleep         60

standbydelay         10800

I do get more power management options than when I started, but the computer sleep slider does not appear in Energy Saver. If I Sleep from the Apple menu the monitor goes dark and the HDD spins down but the fans continue to run full tilt and the computer will not wake. I have to hard reset it. "grep kernel /var/log/system.log" shows:

localhost kernel[0]: XCPM: registered
localhost kernel[0]: IOPPF: XCPM mode
localhost kernel[0]: X86PlatformShim::sendPStates - Success!

Link to my config.plist: config.plist

Any suggestions?

I have a motherboard similar to yours, Asrock z97 Pro4. I used your guide to migrate from Chimaera/Chameleon to Clover and to set up my UEFI settings. Most everything seems to be running fine, with the exception of AirPlay, fan speed (they always run 1200-2400rpm all the time), front panel audio (possible motherboard/case mismatch), iMessage/FaceTime/App Store, and sleep.

Most of the issues I listed above I can work with and I know that iMessage/FaceTime/App Store are problems for all hackintoshes. Sleep, however, is the one thing I really want working. I've followed the suggestions in your above posts (using DSDT also) and I still cannot get sleep working.

I do get more power management options than when I started, but the computer sleep slider does not appear in Energy Saver. If I Sleep from the Apple menu the monitor goes dark and the HDD spins down but the fans continue to run full tilt and the computer will not wake. I have to hard reset it. "grep kernel /var/log/system.log" shows:

Link to my config.plist: config.plist

Any suggestions?

Hi :) Yep, your board is very similar to mine, so you must have perfect sleep and wake from sleep! I don't use iMessage and FaceTime, but App Store is working fine.

Suggestions:

1. Remove these two kernel boot arguments: dart=0 darkwake=0

2. These two keys have to become False (in the attached config.plist they are True):

AppleRTC = False

AsusAICPUPM = False

3. Make sure the Devices / USB keys are enabled (True). This helps having working and flawless USB ports. 

Also, you can use the file 2. config [Final boot with I218-V + Audio + TRIM + DSDT injected fixes H97 Pro4].plist located at section 5 of the very first post for additional comparison.

No change after applying those settings.  :(

UPDATE: App Store works now!

Strange, this board must have sleep and wake from sleep working!

What about the BIOS settings I mentioned in the very first post? Check if you have [AGPM controller: unknown platformerror in the kernel part of your system.log, and if yes then make sure you read this post of the current thread. 

I do indeed get localhost kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform.

After reading the post you just linked I found that the vendor of my GPU is 0x10de and the device id is 0x1187 but I'm not sure where to put those values or how to format them. I cannot find info.plist in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext even after I show hidden files.

I know that this board is capable of reliable sleep and wake because it worked when booting from my [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] USB stick. 

I do indeed get localhost kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform.

I think this is the root of your sleep problems.

After reading the post you just linked I found that the vendor of my GPU is 0x10de and the device id is 0x1187 but I'm not sure where to put those values or how to format them. I cannot find info.plist in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext even after I show hidden files.

Just examine carefully the original post (by edeseven) how to get rid of this error, it's very simple and easy, and you don't need to show any hidden files.

skittlebrau reported earlier in this thread here that he fixed his sleep / wake issues by following the aforementioned guide how to get rid of the [AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform error.