How to: Mavericks retail on VMWare [AMD System]

37 posts in this topic

Hi guys!
It's been a while since this was possible but I think we finally made it! Thanks to the precious and needful support given by XtremeHacker, JVene and Noobel1 I'm finally proud to present the complete and fully-working guide to

Run Mavericks on VMWare with an AMD processor!
(Step by Step)

Phenom/Athlon

Setting up for installation
1. Download MountainLion VMWare Image from SoulDevTeam and extract it
2. Install VMWare (Workstation 10 works best) and patch it using SoulDevTeam's guide and files (included in the download above)
3. Run MountainLion, complete the startup wizard and shut down the machine
4. Download Mavericks VMWare Image from SoulDevTeam and extract it
5. Using VMWare (in the settings tab), add an harddrive to MountainLion and select "Using existing virtual disk" (browse your mavericks.vmdk, also make sure you selected SCSI and not SATA)
(if an error message pop up, use "Upgrade this machine" option in VMWare then try again)
6. Run MountainLion, open Terminal and write "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" (without quotes) hit Return then alt+RightClick on Finder and "Relaunch"
7. Download this file and extract it
8. On Finder you'll find a new disk called "Macintosh", open it and delete the file "mach_kernel"
9. Rename mckay_kernel (downloaded before) into mach_kernel
10. Copy/Paste into "Macintosh" disk
11. Eject "Macintosh" and shut down your machine

Installing Mavericks
12. From Windows open the vmx file inside your Mavericks directory
13. Run Mavericks
14. Complete the wizard (NOTE: the system will look like 10x faster than normal. that's ok, we're going to fix this)
15. Download Clover Configurator and run it (RightClick -> Open)
16. Go to "Install&Update" tab and click Install (right side)
17. When the installation is completed shut down Mavericks
18. Trought VMWare from the topbar select VM -> Power -> Power on to BIOS
19. Go to Boot Maintenance Manager -> Configure boot options -> Add boot option -> Macintosh
20. Browse to EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi and press return (type "Clover" as name)
21. Now select "Change boot order" and press Return
22. Using your key arrows highlight "Clover" and press numPad +
23. When Clover is on top press Return, select "Commit changes and exit" and hit Return again
24. Exit the Boot Maintenance Manager and Continue your boot
25. You should now see Clover bootloader, double click on your only drive and wait.

Note: DO NOT update. I'm currently trying to find a way to update without breaking anything so please be patient.

FX series

Setting up for installation
1. Download MountainLion VMWare Image from SoulDevTeam and extract it (Download 10.9.4 Combo Update from Apple website in Windows and keep it in a usb)
2. Install VMWare (Workstation 10 works best) and patch it using SoulDevTeam's guide and files (included in the download)
3. Run MountainLion, complete the startup wizard and shut down the machine
4. Download Mavericks VMWare Image from SoulDevTeam and extract it
5. Using VMWare(in the settings tab), add a harddrive to MountainLion and select "Using existing virtual disk" (browse your mavericks.vmdk, also make sure you selected SCSI and not SATA)
(if an error message pop up, use "Upgrade this machine" option in VMWare then try again )
6. Run MountainLion, open Terminal and write "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" (without quotes) hit Return then alt+RightClick on Finder and "Relaunch"
7. Download Bronya 10.9.4 rc3 v.1 and these kexts and extract it
8. On Finder you'll find a new disk called "Macintosh", open it and delete the file "mach_kernel"
9. In the folder mach_10_9_4_rc3/FX there should be mach_kernel
10. Copy/Paste mach_kernel into the root "Macintosh" disk
11. Shut down Mountain Lion

Installing Mavericks
12. From Windows open the vmx file inside your Mavericks directory
13. Run Mavericks
14. Complete the wizard
15. Open and install the 10.9.4 combo update
16. Let the mac restart after the installation is complete
17. It will continue to install after it has restarted, just wait for it to finish
18. Once that's complete, Mavericks won't boot, so power off in VM
19. Start up Mountain Lion and replace the mach_kernel in the mavericks.vmdk again like we did earlier
20. Download Kext Wizard and open it
21. Go to the Installation tab
22. Drag and drop the kexts from the folder "Replace Mave kext AMD" (when we downloaded the kexts from the above link)
23. Make sure that the Target disk(above the install button) is set to "Macintosh 1"
24. Then press Install, after install is complete shut down Mountain Lion
25. Start up Mavericks 10.9.4 and it should be working now

Please note that theese guides have been written by users and they may include errors. Also, we can't ensure that this is going to work for your machine.
Changes in the near future are higly possible.
Thanks again to anyone involved and long-life to AMD!

Here is the link to the topic where all the magic happened -> Install OS X 10.9 in VirtualBox, AMD Athlon 64 on Host

• Like 4

JVene

Guys, I need a favor - a test on your AMD based VM. Check to see if the screen saver "Flurry" looks pixelated on your installation (more on why in a moment).

I tried VMWare SVGA 2, but opted for the VMWareGfx.kext in Darwin7.iso. Stretch works, I can even spread OS X across 3 monitors using it. Seems about as snappy as a VM of this nature could be. Speed was about the same between the two.

Now, about Flurry. It's not Flurry that I want to fix, but the hardware simulator in XCode - it's just that it seems Flurry, widely available without installing XCode, has the same display problem (and tech approach) as the simulators. If your Flurry is showing a pixelated appearance, then we're all likely in the same situation. If, however, your Flurry looks correct, I REALLY need to understand why.

I have 10.8.4 with XCode 5.0.2 and 5.1.1 - both Flurry and the iOS simulators work there (and have worked as far back as 10.6.8 with Xcode 3.2.x).

10.9.x, however, isn't playing nice with it.

Congratulations on a great looking "as it happened" discussion, and successful installation!

My Flurry isn't working it is very pixely as you said, Finder also crashes when I look at the preview 

Edited by noobel1

My Flurry isn't working it is very pixely as you said, Finder also crashes when I look at the preview 

Many thanks noobel1, LucasX64 reports the same (posted in the original thread to this one). My OS X 10.8.4 doesn't have this problem, we may have to ask Bronya if this might be a kernel issue.

I've seen this with OS X Niresh (which I retired), and no video drivers (just stock stuff), in my install with VMsvga2, in all it's versions, and with VMwareGfx from Darwin ISO 7 and 5.

@JVene i'm running Mavericks 10.9 with DeeKay kernel (10.9 v2.3) and i have the same problem. We can ask to Bronya about this issue but i think it's something bigger than just the kernel.
Really can't understand if something related to kexts or bootflags needed.
At this point we need an help from some major authorities :)

P.S.: I know it's a big question but.. can you try DeeKay 10.9.4 v1.0 in your machine? it's look like is something created from both Bronya and DeeKay and it says "Most Graphics Issues Are Gone!!!"
I tried it many times but it just keep restarting (i think that it needs bootflag to boot on Phenom cpus)

P.S.: I know it's a big question but.. can you try DeeKay 10.9.4 v1.0 in your machine? it's look like is something created from both Bronya and DeeKay and it says "Most Graphics Issues Are Gone!!!"

I tried it many times but it just keep restarting (i think that it needs bootflag to boot on Phenom cpus)

That's no problem, that's what linked clones are all about.

I've tried several kernels, and it's why I think "Flurry's" display problem (and thus the hardware simulator in Xcode) may be a kernel issue.

DeeKay 10.9.4 v1.0 became the Kernel I'm using about a week ago I think.

Since I installed the Clover bootloader, I don't think I've NOT issued the "arch=x86_64" - it's a common flag. Which means I don't know if it really requires it (says so in the instructions though). I'm also using dart=0.

I use "Clover Configurator" (Google for the download) - it's nice to use. The config file in /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist is a bit much to edit as text if you're doing much with it. The required flags for this kernel are check boxes on the "Boot" page.

I'm on a Phenom II 955...that kernel runs very nicely.

Now, the reason I think the Flurry (and thus the hardware simulator in Xcode) problem is kernel related is because the precise appearance is different in each kernel.  In the kernel for 10.9.0 through 10.9.3 it's pixelated, but in this kernel the small preview image flashes and is pixelated. It's behavior is different.

I see a hint as to what's happening during the verbose boot (-v flag). As the text scrolls by early on it's fine, but then the display driver kicks in and suddenly the output is in 4 columns, but each column is a different slice of the fonts.

This is a "stride" technique. Image if you took a bitmap and displayed each line in one of four columns, in sequence. Line 1 in column 1, 2 in column 2, 3 in column 3, 4 in column 4, then 5 in column 1, 6 in column 2...etc.

That's what I'm seeing in the text scrolling by as the display driver kicks in.

Then, oddly, it switches to 3 columns. Same thing, just now in 3 columns instead of 4.

The display issue I see in Flurry appears to be the exact the same thing in reverse. The pixelation is created because the image is missing some rows, and or color bit planes.

Anyway, the Kernel you're interested in is excellent, so let me know if you have an issue getting Clover Configurator to let you control the boot flags.

Two things doesn't persuade me :\

1. DeeKay 10.9.4 v1.0 can run Mavericks 10.9.0? if yes, why i keep getting bootloop? i need specific kexts? (i'm not using any custom kext with DeeKay 10.9 v2.3) If i need to use custom kexts, i need to use kexts included in DeeKay v1.0 zip or ReplaceMaverickKexts.zip ? too much combinations....

2. Noobel1 is using Bronya, you're using DeeKay 10.9.4 v1.0 and i'm using DeeKay 10.9 v2.3 .. and we're all getting pixellated Flurry. It may be a kernel issue but what now? we should play with display driver..

• 1 month later...

Souldevteam is gone so google "mavericks vmware image torrent" and "moumtain lion vmware image torrent" (both without the quotes).

Hi,

Im new here, but i followed threads like this and menaged to put it together. After few sleepless nights, i got to 10.9.4.

That was a long, bumpy ride :-P . But ik works primo, VmSVGA driver 1.25 , video plays nice full hd, sound, very smooth animations,

Geekbench 3 ratings comparable with 2012-2013 retail macs (!)

I'd like to contribute so i'm uploading compressed vmdk . I'll post a link when it's done.

Rig:

FX8350 @ 4,7Ghz

Asus Formula Croshair IV

16GB 1600Mhz DDR3

Radeon HD5970

OS Win 7 64bit PRO

Vmware workstation 10.0.3 build-1895310

r22bkh.jpg

VM image's link coming soon

• Like 2

Oooh yay :D:yes:

Thanks will be nice to have a actully updated mavericks amd image {claps}.

VM image's link coming soon

I can't wait! :D

Okay there u go:  https://mega.co.nz/#!txFl2b5C!8S8qoKzkewcg0O3wqlDTB4uB7Af4o2d0BOteLFWFHJY

let me know wheter it worked on your rigs.... enjoy :-P

Thank you very mush!!!!!

Your build of Mavericks on VmWare is great!!! Youtube on fullscreen 1920*1080 with playing 1080p is beautifull :thumbsup_anim:

But last problem is the pass on your session... For instal program from evrywhere is locked... :(

I think the kernel used is FX-only :\

I have found the solution!

Enter Boot Options(second icon in boot manager)-> Boot Args set to "amd64 -v -x". 

Only one thing - i dont know how to save this Args forever, you have to enter it each time you restart machine. 

I have found the solution!

Enter Boot Options(second icon in boot manager)-> Boot Args set to "amd64 -v -x". 

Only one thing - i dont know how to save this Args forever, you have to enter it each time you restart machine. 

Tried and worked! i missed the -x flag :lol:

Anyway, audio isn't working and graphic performance are overall worse than MountainLion  :(

P.S.: i didn't looked for it but i think that you can modify the Clover boot config file and add those args (to avoid entering them each time)