Vaio users black screen after boot

tchospy

223 posts in this topic

Sony VAIO VPCF11PFX/H (F Series) current status checklist:

* fast boot => YES
* native resolution on internal screen => YES
* nvidia + 3d acceleration => YES (clover nvidia inject)
* internal screen + nvidia => YES (dsdt fix from jl4c)
* hdmi screen => YES
* vga screen => ?
* sound - hdmi/nvidia => ?
* sound - speakers => YES, with VoodooHDA
* sound - headphones => YES, with VoodooHDA
* sound - optical out => ?
* firewire => ?
* esata => ?
* usb => YES
* touchpad => YES with major issues
* keyboard => YES with minor issues
* ethernet => YES with AppleYukon2 Info.plist patch
* wireless => YES, clover airport fix
* bluetooth => YES
* wireless on/off switch => ?
* ms card reader => ?
* sd card reader => ?
* mic input => ?
* cdrom => YES
* sleep => YES (looks like)
* restart => YES (looks like)
* hibernate => ?
* brightness => NO
* lid close/open => NO
* power button => YES
* intel speedstep => ? (looks like YES, but system eats twice more energy then 
  windows, may be it's related to missing brightness regulation feature)
* cpu turbo => ?
* cpu power management => ?
* nvidia power management => 
* battery charge status => YES (with clover drop oem ssdt disabled and VoodooBattery)
* battery replace status => NO (system think that battery died)

OK, to check your cpu power management you can try MSRDumper.

Mouse/keyboard, fn keys and battery: search for RehabMan kexts.

Reply with IOReg copy.

Hello jl4c and art.sormy,

Wow, that's a nice finding! Finally the internal screen is working on a Vaio F series!

I have a Sony VAIO VPCF12M0E/B which is almost identical to art.sormy's VAIO: the only difference I can tell is the WLAN (Intel 6200), graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce G330M) and the internal screen is Full HD. I have exactly the same issues described by art.sormy regarding the internal screen and certainly other minor issues (e.g. HDA audio doesn't work without VoodooHDA).

I send attached all relevant files:

From Linux:

- DSDT.aml

- edid-lvds.bin

- lspci

From OSX 10.9 booted with latest Clover EFI (2k_r2939), nv_disable=1 and Inject NVDIA:

- ioreg files

@jl4c:

Could you try your method to see if it makes the internal screen work properly? Or alternatively explain how to fix it?

@art.sormy:

What is this AppleYukon2 Info.plist patch you mentioned in your previous post? Currently the ethernet is not working.

Many thanks!

Hi Alexei, boot with this dsdt (remove nv_disable=1), test your internal display and HDMI audio. Reply with IOReg.

dsdt_ Alexei-v1.aml.zip

WOW!... nice to know that someone is experiencing full 3d graphics hehe...

In my case I think the problem is Niresh Distro or Chameleon Bootloader.... I think I'll try clover as soon as possible hehe..

Thanks for continuing helping jl4c.

art.sormy....what is the distro that you are using ?

@lj4c:

fresh ioreg files attached

Mouse/keyboard, fn keys and battery: search for RehabMan kexts.

RehabMan kexts have issues. Keyboard with minor issues and ALPS touchpad almost unusable because of problems with double tap and drag (can't select text, can't drag anything). I posted issues on RehabMan's github, but not sure that he will find time to fix that.

Notes available here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/issues/39

Let me know please if someone will find better kext for ALPS touchpad. 

Will let you know MSRDumper results.

@Alexei Leonov:

I have Marvell 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller [11ab:4380] in my SONY.

Driver comes with OS X but not activated because device id didn't match.

I have to edit 

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and add

<key>Yukon-88E8057</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2</string>
<key>EnableLowPwr</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>yukon2osx</string>
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x438011ab</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
<key>MACNumber</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Model</key>
<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8057 Singleport Copper SA</string>
<key>NetworkNumber</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>RxDeadman</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>RxRingGrowOnPause</key>
<integer>10</integer>
<key>RxRingSize</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>RxRingSize_100MBit</key>
<integer>128</integer>
<key>RxRingSize_10MBit</key>
<integer>64</integer>
<key>RxRingSize_GigaBit</key>
<integer>256</integer>
<key>TxRingSize</key>
<integer>256</integer>
<key>Vendor</key>
<string>Marvell</string>
</dict>

run sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

and reboot

ioreg.zip

Hi Alexei, boot with this dsdt (remove nv_disable=1), test your internal display and HDMI audio. Reply with IOReg.

I didn't expect you'd reply so quickly so I spent some time analysing your fixes to art.sormy's DSDT and by comparison I applied those fixes to my original DSDT and guess what? It works flawlessly! I got full acceleration on my VAIO's internal screen. Awesome!

(just a thought: I tried a similar fix to override EDID few months ago but it didn't work. I guess the problem was either that I didn't try it with Clover or the backlight section was missing.)

Of course I also tried the fixed DSDT you sent me and it works exactly the same as mine as far as I can tell. The overall performance is excellent, now OSX runs really fast (and it is not even installed on the SSD drive!). I noticed though that our DSDT versions are different in size so I will keep using yours.

My main issues now are that I don't have any network capabilities (Intel 6200AGN WLAN and Marvell 88e8057 Ethernet are not supported at all). Also the new DSDT doesn't fix HDAudio.

Here is my IOReg dumped from a session running with your fixed DSDT:

VPCF12M0E_ioreg_fixed.zip

I can't say anything about the state on my VAIO of the minor issues like speedstep that art.sormy has reported (don't really know how to test) but of course I'm willing to help, even though my goal now is to get network and audio working!

Many thanks!!!

@Alexei Leonov:

I have Marvell 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller [11ab:4380] in my SONY.

Driver comes with OS X but not activated because device id didn't match.

I have to edit 

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and add

<key>Yukon-88E8057</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2</string>
<key>EnableLowPwr</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>yukon2osx</string>
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x438011ab</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
<key>MACNumber</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Model</key>
<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8057 Singleport Copper SA</string>
<key>NetworkNumber</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>RxDeadman</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>RxRingGrowOnPause</key>
<integer>10</integer>
<key>RxRingSize</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>RxRingSize_100MBit</key>
<integer>128</integer>
<key>RxRingSize_10MBit</key>
<integer>64</integer>
<key>RxRingSize_GigaBit</key>
<integer>256</integer>
<key>TxRingSize</key>
<integer>256</integer>
<key>Vendor</key>
<string>Marvell</string>
</dict>

run sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

and reboot

Are you actually able to connect to a network after applying this fix? I gave it a try and a new network device is available now but only get "Cable unplugged" on network configuration, even if the cable is actually connected and its port on the hub flashes. The system log is also flooded with an error message regarding the Yukon2 device that cannot be initialised. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Could you please attach your Clover Configurator screens ? I want to know how you are configuring it cause I'm using the DSDT edited by jl4c and the screen does not turn on. It only turns on(but still black screen) using chameleon boot loader. I want to know if I'm doing something wrong with clover. Thanks in advance !

I can't say anything about the state on my VAIO of the minor issues like speedstep that art.sormy has reported (don't really know how to test) but of course I'm willing to help, even though my goal now is to get network and audio working!

OK, let fix your PM now.

Try this dsdt and check p/c states with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext (kext folder's EFI partition) if panic use the old MSRDumper (see console).

Attach IOReg.

@jl4c: 

the same - no hdmi audio, no speedstep

@j4c:

I tried another speedstep checkers.

MSRDumper

Show me that pstates are not reachable

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext

Kernel panic 

DPCIManager

It shows me that P States: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 reachable

Also, I tried v2 of dsdt - it works the same as v4 with pstates.

Can we trust DPCIManager results? If yes then it seems like speedstep is works but something eats a lot of battery, may be not working brightness.

Output in attach.

And what about C States? How to test them?

HWSensors

I looked on HWSensors output in tray icon - and it seems like cpu ratio jumps from 7 to 12 (like DPCIManager shows) so it looks like MSRDumper is buggy in my case.

I don't known if we can make conclusion that cpu power management works fine.

post-1315783-0-79547000-1413072729_thumb.png

post-1315783-0-41678900-1413072827_thumb.png

Sony VAIO VPCF11PFX/H (F Series) current status checklist:
* fast boot => YES
* native resolution on internal screen => YES
* nvidia + 3d acceleration => YES (clover nvidia inject)
* internal screen + nvidia => YES (dsdt fix from jl4c)
* hdmi screen => YES
* vga screen => ?
* sound - hdmi/nvidia => NO
* sound - speakers => YES (with Voodoo HDA)
* sound - headphones => YES (with Voodoo HDA)
* sound - optical out => ?
* firewire => ?
* esata => ?
* usb => YES
* touchpad => YES (with RehabMan PS2 Controller, with major issues - can't drag anything and select text)
* keyboard => YES (with RehabMan PS2 Controller, with minor issues)
* ethernet => NO (Marvel Yukon2 88E8057 is not supported, can't get it work with patched kexts or kexts from previous versions of os x)
* wireless => YES (with clover airport fix)
* bluetooth => YES
* wireless on/off switch => YES
* ms card reader => ?
* sd card reader => ?
* mic input => ?
* cdrom => YES
* sleep => YES
* restart => YES
* hibernate => ?
* brightness => NO (didn't work with RehabMan ACPI Backlight)
* lid close/open => YES (with RehabMan ACPI Backlight, with major issues - fake lid open/close events causes sleep or lock screen during normal work)
* power button => YES
* intel speedstep => YES? (clover patch p-states/c-states, it seems like it works, but not sure)
* smart power management => NO (AppleLPC is not loaded)
* battery charge status => YES (with clover drop oem ssdt disabled and RehabMan Voodoo Battery)
* battery replace status => NO (system think that battery died)
* triple boot: os x, windows, linux (YES, with hybrid mbr for linux/windows and gpt for os x)

@Alexey Leonov:

One of solutions is to buy sony laptop compatible WLAN card ($20-30) which is also compatible with os x (like mine, for example, with broadcom bluetooth and atheros wireless).

Also you can buy usb ethernet adapter ($10) or usb wireless adapter ($10) but they will eats usb slots.

@jl4c:

LPC Status is on screenshot. (dsdt v2 and dsdt  v5 produce the same result)

Also, in Clover docs there is a note that AppleLPC can unload itself even if the chipset is supported.

Attached ioreg with dsdt v5.

I mark speedstep as YES because i see that cpu clock ration changes from 7 (idle) to 12 (hard work) during os x work.

I don't know if is sufficient to treat that speedstep works fine. I don't know how to check in other way, for example, how to check working c-states.

post-1315783-0-48694100-1413135154_thumb.png

ioreg.zip

@jl4c,

could you please help me again ? I installed clover in a flash usb and I'm trying to fix the internal monitor problem... if you remind, you edited my dsdt. I was using chameleon boot loader and I only got black screen. The internal monitor turns on but only show black.. the hdmi connected to a tv show the image correctly.. 

now I'm using clover and the problem is the same... turned on black screen on monitor and hdmi working ok... I attached the ioreg 

could you please take a look ? Thanks !

ioreg.zip

I fixed previos post - added ioreg and screenshot.

Also i fixed post #90 to show current status for checklist.

Try this one

@jl4c,

could you please help me again ? I installed clover in a flash usb and I'm trying to fix the internal monitor problem... if you remind, you edited my dsdt. I was using chameleon boot loader and I only got black screen. The internal monitor turns on but only show black.. the hdmi connected to a tv show the image correctly.. 

now I'm using clover and the problem is the same... turned on black screen on monitor and hdmi working ok... I attached the ioreg 

could you please take a look ? Thanks !

Hello tchospy, what is the native resolution of internal display?

Set your native resolution into Clover config:

<key>GUI</key>
<dict> 
<key>ScreenResolution</key>
<string>1366x768</string>
</dict>

dsdt_art.sormy-v6.aml.zip

@jl4c:

AppleLPC is now appeared in kextstat | grep LPC

Does it sufficient to threat that power management works fine? I mean, p-states, c-states and everything related to that?

PS: 100% battery remaining time increased from 60 minutes to 80 minutes (GOOD PROGRESS), but on windows is 2 hours. May be it's related to the fact that on windows brightness regulation is working.

@jl4c:

AppleLPC is now appeared in kextstat | grep LPC

Does it sufficient to threat that power management works fine? I mean, p-states, c-states and everything related to that?

PS: 100% battery remaining time increased from 60 minutes to 80 minutes (GOOD PROGRESS), but on windows is 2 hours. May be it's related to the fact that on windows brightness regulation is working.

Check PM with MSRDumper and reply with results...

For brightness check the slider display on preferences

My native res is 1600x900... the other guy could help since he got his system working... come on man :(

I just want to know how you guys installed the system... which method.. my hack, niresh etc etc... I`m using niresh... don`t know if this is the problem... 

I had tried 1600x900 in GUI session on clover... but it didnt work.. I`ll try 1366..

@jl4c,

using 1366 did not change anything... only hdmi working ok..

Inside clover bootable flash drive there are lots of folders... and there is the folder called kexts... should I put some specific kext on this folder to test ? I just put the DSDT inside patched folder as you said to do.