• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
Sign in to follow this  
ergosteur

myHack.kext Plugins vs. Extra Extensions

3 posts in this topic

Can someone explain to me why myHack has a bunch of .kexts in its Plugins folder? It seems they are the same kexts I have in /Extra/Extensions.

Looks like OSX prefers the versions in myHack.kext/Contents/Plugins - I thought that the preferred location for hackintosh kexts was in /E/E so as to be safe when running updates?

Advertisement
The idea is you have an /Extra/Extensions directory at the root of each OS X system partition which contains your necessary kexts for that particular version of OS X.

You then run myhack's myfix which properly installs them in /System/Library/Extensions/myhack.kext with the correct ownership/permissions. This process also version bumps the kexts so they load in preference to Apple's versions (if the same) and rebuilds the kernelcache.

If you need to make changes, you simply update your /Extra/Extensions directory and re-run myhack->myfix. Simple.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

So much changed in OSx86 since the Tiger days.