[GUIDE]Installing and dual-booting OS X 10.9.1 on MSI GE60 2OE/GE70 2OE with Windows 8.1 EFI first installed

ninekaw9

2 posts in this topic

Hi there, Ive only tried on MSI GE60 2OE Core-i5-4200M version but I think it will work on GE70 2OE too as well because it has very similar hardware, I think the only difference is screen and body size.

I’m a hackintosh newbie, so there are a lots more thing that potentially can be fixed I think. I still have to learn more.

Normally, OS X Installer won’t install to disk that already have Windows installation, or disk without GPT Reserved partition size 200 mb at the start (Apple Disk Utility erase function will create GPT Reserved size 200 mb at the start of the disk), but I have some trick, and it require a spare external hard disk.

My Specs :

Core i5-4200M

Intel HD4600

Nvidia GTX 765M

15.6” 1920x1080

HDD 1 TB 5400 RPM

RAM 8 GB DDR3 1600

Realtek HD Audio ALC892

Realtek RTL8723AE Wifi + Bluetooth

Killer E2200 Ethernet

Download Files : https://www.mediafire.com/folder/48cufaxuxo34z/GE60_2OE_OS_X

What Works :

• Intel HD Graphic 4600 with Full OpenGL Acceleration (QE/CI)
  • Battery level monitoring
  • Intel Speedstep
    • Indeed, OS X doesn’t support showing real current CPU frequency, even on real mac (you can read more here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4104026?tstart=0 ), all cpu speed reporting program will report at highest turbo boost frequency all the time, but when I use program like HWMonitor, it shows than when the system is not heavily loaded, CPU power usage is around 6 W, and temperature is not high. When the system is loaded, CPU power usage spikes up to 18-25 Watt, temperature rises up to 80 celcius, laptop fan spin faster, which indicates that Intel Speedstep is indeed working.
  • Sleep (some plugged in usb device can cause the system not to go to sleep successfully)
  • Sound (only speaker and built in mic using VoodooHDA)
  • Screen brightness adjustment
  • Elan multitouch pad
  • Elan keyboarad
  • Ethernet
  • All USB Ports

What doesnt work yet:

• HDMI Out (don’t know how to fix)
  • DVI Out
  • Headphones, line-in microphone (fixing them is too hard for me)
  • Card Reader
  • NVIDIA GTX 765M
    • It is powered when in OS X, draining battery and generate some heat, and I have no idea how to power it down. NVIDIA Optimus graphic switching technology can’t be worked on OS X because on real Macs, Apple uses its own graphic switching implementation instead of NVIDIA Optimus.
  • Wifi and Bluetooth
    • Well, there aren’t any driver for them. Right now I’m using a cheap TP-Link TL-WN723N USB Wifi adapter. Wifi and Bluetooth are on the same Realtek chip.

Requirement :

• Windows Installed with EFI boot partition with GPT disk scheme. (not require if you are installing OS X as first OS on the disk)
  • A spare external hard disk (need to be erased for OS X installation, and not needed if no windows installed on internal hard disk)
  • A spare USB flash drive with at least 8 GB capacity. (need to be erased for OS X installer)
  • OS X Machine or VMWare to prepare installer (if OS X on VMware had OpenGL Acceleration, I would not have tried to dual boot. Damn you Apple for not publicize document on how to make graphic driver, doubt it is the reason why OS X gaming performance is much slower than Windows’)

Steps 1 : Preparation of OS X Installer

1. Get OS X 10.9.1 app store installer. (torrent is your friend)
  2. Mount the dmg image of OS X installer. Do this on OS X VMware or real Mac of course.
  3. In mounted image, right click on “Mavericks.app” and choose “Show Contents”.
  4. Go to "Contents/Shared Support" and mount InstallESD.dmg
  5. Mount BaseSystem.dmg by typing the following in terminal:  open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg      
  6. In DiskUtility, go to the "OS X Base System", Restore it to your USB disk.
  7. Navigate to /System/Installation on your USB drive. Delete the “Packages” link, then copy the Packages folder from “OS X Install ESD” to this location.
  8. Copy the kexts in “GE602OE_Kexts.zip” I provided to /System/Library/Extensions on your USB stick, but for safety, remove original kexts that has same name first because those kexts are folder not file.
  9. Delete these kexts to prevent hanging on installer boot screen
    1. AppleBluetoothMultitouch.kext
    2. IOBluetoothFamily.kext  
    3. IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext
  10. Install Clover bootloader I provided to the USB Drive.

•    Install for UEFI booting only

•    Themes->Choose one

•    Drivers64UEFI->OsxAptioFixDrv-64

11. Install Clover Configurator to use it for mounting newly clover-created EFI partition on USB Drive easily.

12. Copy and replace all files in CLOVER_GE602OEconfigured.zip to the EFI partition.

You may still need clover configurator to manually config boot loader to suit your need, or try to fix problem later, also it is configured to boot without kernel cache, booting with kernel cache fails boot process a lot in my laptop, so I disabled it permanently, it will take a bit longer to boot os x.

Also DSDT and SSDT are included in the zip file.

UPDATE1: if you are using a different CPU than mine, you must remove SSDT.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched ,and put NullCPUPowerManagement.kext into System/Library/Extension, now your OS X shouldn't be able to sleep and doesn't have intel speedstep working. I will teach you to fix it later.

13. Copy mach_kernel to the root of USB Drive partition “OS X Base System”.

This is modified kernel to fix early reboot problem on intel haswell or core i gen 4 .

Now we are ready to boot into OS X Installer

Step 2 : My BIOS Setting (might not necessary)

post-1341582-0-77996900-1400814437_thumb.jpg post-1341582-0-06678700-1400814441_thumb.jpg

Step 3 : Installing OS X to external hard drive

1.Setup UEFI firmware to boot to OS X USB Installer.

2.When CLOVER bootloader shows up, boot to “OS X Base System”

3.Plug in external hard drive , then open Disk Utility and erase the external hard drive with GUID partition scheme.

4.Create a new partition with Mac OS Journaled file system.

5.Install OS X to that partition

6.Reboot to Windows and install program like MacDrive, Paragon HFS for Windows to access OS X partition.

7.Copy and replace mach_kernel to the root of the OS X drive, also the Kexts I provided to /System/Library/Extensions/ ,but for safety, remove original kexts that has same name first because those kexts are folder not file.

UPDATE 1: Also, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext if you are not using i5-4200M like me.

Step 4 : Finalizing installation

1.Now Boot to OS X on external hdd

2.Reinstall kexts I provided using Kext Wizard, this fixes kexts improper installed mesaages.

3.Install VoodooHDA-2.8.4.Lion.pkg

4.Optionally, I recommend FakeSMC + Plugins + HWMonitor found in Slytherin, it allows you to view hardware temp, CPU power usage, and seeing that CPU frequency is locked at turboboost speed, but indeed it is not.

5.To fix screen brightness adjustment, Copy org.rehabman.blinkscreen.plist to /Library/LaunchAgents Copy blink screen to /usr/bin. Type "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" in terminal to show hidden files.

UPDATE1 : 6.if you are using different cpu than mine, not i5-4200M, make SSDT yourself here http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/guides/make-your-own-ssdt/, and mount EFI partition on OSX USB Installer using clover configurator, and copy newly created SSDT to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched , finally delete NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in S/L/E (System/Library/Extensions)

Step 5 : Moving OS X install to internal hard disk

1.Resize partition to have free space for your OS X partition, and format that free space to Unformatted. I recommend Minitool Partition Wizard.

2.Reopen explorer.exe with admin right, and run mountvol z: /s. This will mount EFI partition.

3.Open EFI drive and open EFI folder, copy CLOVER folder to EFI folder from CLOVER_GE602OEconfigured.zip, but DON’T REPLACE BOOT folder, or you will replace default EFI boot from Windows’ one to Clover. But if you did that, windows still boot, I have tried that, the UEFI firmware loads Windows boot loader from MICROSOFT folder instead of BOOT folder.

4.Boot to clover bootloader on usb flash drive, now you will see that there are two Clover Boot Option. Check them one by one and Add Clover as UEFI boot option for the internal hard disk (SATA not USB), see the picture

post-1341582-0-09675900-1400814432_thumb.jpg post-1341582-0-00262300-1400814435_thumb.jpg

Yay! You added clover boot loader entry to the UEFI firmware.

post-1341582-0-04268200-1400814444_thumb.jpg

5.Now boot into OS X installer or OS X Base System, open Disk Utility and do a restore
Source : Your installed OS X volume on external harddisk
Destination : Your unformatted allocated space on internal hard disk

All done, you will be able to boot OS X from internal hard disk now,

I haven’t tried updating it to 10.9.2 and 10.9.3 yet, and I have read somewhere that there are some problems with NVIDIA Kexts for 10.9.2.

If somebody manages to fix HDMI, DVI, Audio problems please tell me.

Hmm, did some GPU benchmark. Windows won. I set nvidia optimus to use Intel GPU instead of mighty GTX 765M instead,

post-1341582-0-32642100-1400776818_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I have a similar laptop ( GE60 2OE ) as you but I'm stuck in installing.

So far I try to install it via uefi but my laptop wouldn't detect it so I switched to legacy and I was able to boot to clover and I attempted to boot from the drive. I got stuck at 'kxld[com.apple.driver.appleefiinvram]: in interface com.apple.kpi.private of __kernal__, couldn't find symbol _audio_active

kxld[com.apple.drive.appleefinvram]: in interface"

Could you help me out