Can't start / boot with USB audio interface connected to the port

xandde1

16 posts in this topic

Hello!

I recently installed the OS X 10.9.2 using the following components:
Motherboard - Gigabyte H61M-DS2H Socket 1155
CPU: Intel i5 3330
4GB RAM DDR3

Everything is running perfectly! However, I can't boot into the OS X while my audio interface - Avid MBox Mini 3 - is connected to the USB port (I get stuck at the Missing Bluetooth Controller error). So, I need to unplug the interface every time I'm booting and plugging it back only when the OS X is loaded.

The strange part (at least for my newbie comprehension) is that my USB Wi Fi Adapter doesn't break the OS X boot like the audio interface does.

Does anybody know if there's a way to solve this issue?

*Some info that may be relevant (or not):
> I'm using VGA output, even though HDMI works;
> I did not install the audio driver / kext for my motherboard;
> I'm using USBBusFix=Yes to enable USB ports in Mavericks OS X;
> I do not have external graphics card. I'm using the HD 2500 that comes integrated with my CPU.

Thank you so much!

Hello

OSX was made for Macintosh, so if you runnig it on PC, problems will happen...

1stQ- Your hack is running well? You have power management working? Graphic working???

If your problem is just in audio... so any problem... because you have audio working, even that you need plug you audio interface every time after boot....

This remember a situation that happen 2 years ago with me: If i put my usb sitck in usb port before boot, i can't boot, but if i put with system booted... everything work.

• Like 1

Pimentel X86, thanks for answering!

Actually I don't know if I have power management work, but I'm assuming I do, since I don't have any other issues! Graphic is working! :)

But you're right... That's not something to really worry about, since all the rest is working good!

Hello

About PM, i wanna help you if you need... first thing to know about PM... What method you use to generate P and C States for you  CPU?

Try use this kext to see how much P States you have: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/12/29/appleintelcpupowermanagementinfo-kext/comment-page-1/

After... run this command in terminal

cat /var/log/system.log | grep "AICPUPMI:"

I got problem with this kext in 10.9.3, but... maybe in 10.9 it work well...

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for helping!!! :D

Sorry for the newbie question... but how should I install this kext? Using kext utility ou just dragging it to the folder?

By the way, I see that I have GeneratePStates=Yes and GenerateCStates=Yes in my org.chameleon.boot.plist (probably added because some tutorial related to my hardware told me to).

Thank you one more time!

Hello

Yes... you need install kext with a kext utility... i prefer Kext Wizard... update cache after install it...

P and C States added by Chameleon doesn't work to your CPU(Sandy,Ivy and Haswell doens't work)

Take a look in my guide to know how proceed with PM: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295587-power-management-for-sandyivy-bridgehaswell-cpus/

Read carefully

What guide you followed to install OSX?

• Like 1

Hello again, Pimentel X86!

I installed it using myHack (it was the first one I came across...). Then, I used some tonymacx86 tools (just found out that it's unsupported by insanely mac) and then i've used chameleon wizard to set some other stuff. 

Anyway, I'm afraid I might have installed the NullCPUPowerManagement at some point, but honestly can't remember if I did.

I'll try the steps provided by your guide (which is so well explained, by the way)! Would the NullCPUPowerManagement be a problem for it to work?

Thank you!

Oh... by the way, just saw there's a message like "CPU model is unknown - power management may be incomplete" when I boot in verbose mode. However, it doesn't stop chameleon to normally boot OS X.

Thanks!

Hello

You used tonymac's tools...we don't support it...

I will help you to install step by step roger? I gave to you a solution to install OSX, simple and easy...

After install OSX, use this guide to install and configure Chameleon: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295630-instala%C3%A7%C3%A3o-e-configura%C3%A7%C3%A3o-do-chameleon-bootloader/

Please translate

PM guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295587-power-management-for-sandyivy-bridgehaswell-cpus/

After created SSDT,Patched AICPUPM, isn't necessary use NullCPUPM

• Like 1

Thank you! You are making my hack a LOT easier! :)

I am downloading the OS X installer and then I'll follow all the steps you sent me! 

Actually, the Chameleon Guide in portuguese is perfect (I'm from Brazil, by the way)!

As soon as I have news, I'll leave a feedback about the result!

Hi!

I've installed the OS X again and (almost) everything seems to be working great.

I couldn't enable the HD 2500 graphics... But that's OK!

However, I'm facing an issue with my main USB audio interface (Apogee Duet for IPad & Mac). The Duet is only compatible with OS X, but every time I use audio with any app, when I close this app, the audio interface freezes and I have no audio until I unplug/plug back USB.

By the way, I didn't enable my internal audio (ALC 887). Couldn't find any working method! Don't know if it's relevant for the problem I mentioned above.

Thanks!! :)

Updating: enabling the internal audio solved the problem with the USB audio interface! It also solved the issue about not being able to boot with the USB audio interface connected to the port!

Thanks a LOT!! :D

Wow! It's really simple... Hahaha But I couldn't find that info anywhere! Thank you!

I decided to try Mountain Lion yesterday in order to see if I could get QE/CI without buying an external graphics card (and it works)! So I was able to enable everything (except audio, that keeps freezing/stopping the boot at " Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport ").

Anyway, in case anyone face the Apogee Duet USB freezing issue, I just found out that it might be a power issue, since the problem occurs only when the audio interface is connected in one of the front USB ports! To solve the problem, just plug it in one of the motherboard's USB ports directly!

There's one other issue about Apogee Duet x Mavericks... If you think that the Duet is taking too long to be recognized, just wait about 60 - 90 seconds. I don't know why, but enabling internal audio solves this problem.

Thank you so much, Pimentel X86! You helped me a LOT!