10.9.2 on Optiplex 755

dm4n

48 posts in this topic

Getting a kernel panic on Optiplex 755 previously running 10.9.1 stably.

To install 10.9 on this system required substituting these kexts - IOPCIFamily.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext from 10.8.5 into the usb installer.

To boot from the new install required reinserting the Mavericks kexts IOPCIFamily.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext
as per post #6 here.

Updated using AppStore (not Combo). Now KP with msg: Extensions in backtrace - com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort(3.0)... and the other 2 kexts above listed as dependencies.

Appreciate any assistance.

Dell Optiplex 755
CPU: 3GHz C2D
8GB RAM
Graphics Card VTX3D 1GB Radeon HD 5670 DDR3 PCI-E 2.1

Hello :)

Thanks. Here's result of booting with -v-f

Cheers

Hi dm4n,

I have a couple of the same mobos (Optiplex 755) and went a step forward.

You don't have ANY problem with AHCI. If you look at your screenshot you are loading the 3.0 (the 10.9.2 version) instead of the 2.6.6 (the one that you have substituted).

This is because the 3.0 is written in the kernel cache. Simply boot with UseKernelCache=No and you will pass this step.

Should you be able to bootstrap 10.9.2 - use kextutility to rebuild the caches after putting all the modified kexts in /S/L/E.

However I'm still not able to boot 10.9.2 because with this setup the AppleACPIPlatform kext does not load due to a broken dependency:

"The super class vtable '__ZTV11IOPCIBridge' for vtable ' __ZTV12AppleACPIPCI' is out of date"

I've searched and found a post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/81036-cardbuspcmcia-pc-cards-for-leopard/page-54

Relating to IOPCCARD Family as a candidate, but it is not applicable here (we don't have PCCards and the kext no longer exists).

Anybody can guide me to find the kext causing the mismatch?

Thank you

Hello,

Thanks artur-pt and RogerMac for suggestions.

I'm running 10.9.1 seemingly ok on another HDD in this machine - so I copy-pasted the AppleACPIPlatform.kext (original) into S/L/E of the malfunctioning 10.9.2 install - still KP

Next - I tried switching off UseKernelCache in org.chameleon.boot.plist (with original and substituted kexts above) - still KP.

BTW - as stated in post #5 - the original 10.9.2 kexts (and not substitutes form 10.8.5) are being used in S/L/E - IOPCIFamily.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext.

Interestingly, someone on another forum  reports that they've got Optiplex 745 (much the same hardware - except different external graphics card) updated via appstore - no probs. I wonder if the issue is my Graphics Card ATI Radeon 5670 for which I haven't edited any kexts - so reported as ATI 5000 HD in About This Mac - maybe editing ATI personalities etc necessary?

Cheers!

I made another further step. Close to the target but still not there.

Hi dm4n,

I have a couple of the same mobos (Optiplex 755) and went a step forward.

You don't have ANY problem with AHCI. If you look at your screenshot you are loading the 3.0 (the 10.9.2 version) instead of the 2.6.6 (the one that you have substituted).

This is because the 3.0 is written in the kernel cache. Simply boot with UseKernelCache=No and you will pass this step.

Should you be able to bootstrap 10.9.2 - use kextutility to rebuild the caches after putting all the modified kexts in /S/L/E.

However I'm still not able to boot 10.9.2 because with this setup the AppleACPIPlatform kext does not load due to a broken dependency:

"The super class vtable '__ZTV11IOPCIBridge' for vtable ' __ZTV12AppleACPIPCI' is out of date"

I've searched and found a post

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/81036-cardbuspcmcia-pc-cards-for-leopard/page-54

Relating to IOPCCARD Family as a candidate, but it is not applicable here (we don't have PCCards and the kext no longer exists).

Anybody can guide me to find the kext causing the mismatch?

Thank you

For 10.8 AppleAHCIPort to be loaded you MUST also rollback AppleACPIPLatform.kext to 10.9.1. version.

So my config is now:

- AppleAHCIPort 2.6.6 from 10.8

- IOAHCIFamily 2.5.1 from 10.8

- IOPCIFamily 2.8 from 10.8

- AppleACPIPLatform.kext 2.0 FROM 10.9.1

The system is about to boot, BUT AHCIPort now can't load because "IOAHCIFamily not found". Therefore the SATA controller is ignored and no root device.

The IOAHCIFamily is there.

Any expert to give advice?

Struggling with the same problem myself after updating to 10.9.2. Not sure why this happened, cos even tho i roll back to a timemachine backup 10 days old, i still stop at the same error.

Might have been a "lucky shot" that ive been able to boot after updating to mavericks?

Do you have any FakeSMC's plugins installed (inside FakeSMC)?

As far as I'm concerned, Yes. I have ACPISensors, CPUSensors, GPUSensors, LPCSensors.

They've been installed by HWMonitor, I suppose.

Do you think this can be related to  IOAHCIFamily not loading?

thankz!

Do you think this can be related to  IOAHCIFamily not loading?

thankz!

Yes, me too - all the HWMonitor plugins.

I'm not sure if this helps but give a try. Remove all plugins from FakeSMC. Also you can test another build e.g. Slice's one (without plugins).

I'm not sure if this helps but give a try. Remove all plugins from FakeSMC. Also you can test another build e.g. Slice's one (without plugins).

OK, thanks everyone for suggestions. Replaced FakeSMC.kext containing HWMonitor plugins with Slice's latest FakeSMC.kext (version 3.3.1). Still get KP listing the same kexts as in screenshot in post #3. But the msg about unsupported chip has gone.

Hi,

I have exactly the same machine and the same problem,

Optiplex 755 with Radeon 5670.

Everything worked fine with 10.9.1 and then I updated to 10.9.2 via the AppStore and now all I get is a KP,

Most of the time it's AppleACPIPlatform.kext, sometimes ist says "still waiting for roof device".

Interestingly, I haven't been using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in my 10.8.5 and 10.9.1 installs on the rig.

An Optiplex 745 owner here has got 10.9.2 working with another GPU - Nvidia 8400GS 256mb

And see post #6 here for description of setup and Extra folder.

Also , unlike me, he's using a DSDT.

Guys, actually I understood what's wrong with AHCI, and managed to boot the machine in 10.9.2, and it's working, by an operating system point of view.

What I still can't get is the video, 'cause none of the OOB cards I was using (ASUS EN210, Nvidia 7500), neither the onboard GMA950 manage to switch from the text screen to the graphics. This is probably due to the changes I had to mage to the AHCI kext, but still no success in having graphics (but the machine comes alive and can be accessed from the network via ssh). Also vmc technically works, but it is obviously transmitting a black screen (the Graphics card is logically started but not active).

Hoping you can suggest me what I'm missing, here is what I have discovered and what I have done.

a) the 755 has an ICH9R sata controller. This is not recognized in 10.9, thus no bootable disk without patch.

B) the trick that allowed to mount the SATA controller in 10.9.1 was to substitute AppleAHCIPort, IOAHCIFamily, IOPCIFamily from a 10.8 release. However, it has to be noted that if you substitute these three kext with those of 10.8.5 the SATA controller works but it is erroneously identified as ICH10. If you use those from 10.8.4 the SATA controller is detected correctly as ICH9R. Not a great difference, but the most proper kit for our aging 755 is that from 10.8.4.

c) in 10.9.2, if you simply substitute the three kext the system doesn't boot. There is a broken dependency (that was not there with 10.9.1) between AppleAHCIPort and AppleACPIPlatformExpert, preventing to load the entire chain (AppleACPIPlatformExpert is hierarchically above IOAHCIPort).

d) the solution to have boot is to also substitute AppleACPIPlatformExpert from 10.8.4, and this proves to be functional as far as the SATA is concerned. The system boots and works. But NO GRAPHICS.

The log sticks at "DSMOS has arrived" (where the graphics card should switch to the graphic mode) and the system finishes booting... but no video. Tried to inject, to de-inject, graphics enabler yes, no, maybe ;-) , pump a platform specific EDID at boot, but nothing.

And the behavior is the same with nVidia and with GMA (I tried to have a boot without qe/ci, but at least with video on, but to no avail).

Give a sparkle of light to my night... what am I missing? I'm 5 centimeters away to have solved the 10.9.2 issue...

• Like 4

Thank you so much!

This helped getting my Mac back :D

Just had to replace all mentioned kexts with the 10.8.4 version and it is booting again.

Guys, actually I understood what's wrong with AHCI, and managed to boot the machine in 10.9.2, and it's working, by an operating system point of view.

What I still can't get is the video, 'cause none of the OOB cards I was using (ASUS EN210, Nvidia 7500), neither the onboard GMA950 manage to switch from the text screen to the graphics. This is probably due to the changes I had to mage to the AHCI kext, but still no success in having graphics (but the machine comes alive and can be accessed from the network via ssh). Also vmc technically works, but it is obviously transmitting a black screen (the Graphics card is logically started but not active).

Hoping you can suggest me what I'm missing, here is what I have discovered and what I have done.

a) the 755 has an ICH9R sata controller. This is not recognized in 10.9, thus no bootable disk without patch.

B) the trick that allowed to mount the SATA controller in 10.9.1 was to substitute AppleAHCIPort, IOAHCIFamily, IOPCIFamily from a 10.8 release. However, it has to be noted that if you substitute these three kext with those of 10.8.5 the SATA controller works but it is erroneously identified as ICH10. If you use those from 10.8.4 the SATA controller is detected correctly as ICH9R. Not a great difference, but the most proper kit for our aging 755 is that from 10.8.4.

c) in 10.9.2, if you simply substitute the three kext the system doesn't boot. There is a broken dependency (that was not there with 10.9.1) between AppleAHCIPort and AppleACPIPlatformExpert, preventing to load the entire chain (AppleACPIPlatformExpert is hierarchically above IOAHCIPort).

d) the solution to have boot is to also substitute AppleACPIPlatformExpert from 10.8.4, and this proves to be functional as far as the SATA is concerned. The system boots and works. But NO GRAPHICS.

The log sticks at "DSMOS has arrived" (where the graphics card should switch to the graphic mode) and the system finishes booting... but no video. Tried to inject, to de-inject, graphics enabler yes, no, maybe ;-) , pump a platform specific EDID at boot, but nothing.

And the behavior is the same with nVidia and with GMA (I tried to have a boot without qe/ci, but at least with video on, but to no avail).

Give a sparkle of light to my night... what am I missing? I'm 5 centimeters away to have solved the 10.9.2 issue...

I am also "in" ;-) Do you have any idea what is causing that problem ?

Also I'Ve wanted to ask if you ca give me a hint where I can get the "old" kexts I need for 10.9.2 - I want to build a pack for myhack so I can inject them after the installation.

Thanks