Asus Z9PE-WS D8 Mavericks working 10.9.1

remote.syst3m

63 posts in this topic

Hi there... i got the same problem. Installed 10.9.1 with Chimera / [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. After the installation i need to change the mach_kernel because i got a V2 E5 -> http://www.osx86.net/files/download/3563-109-gm-ivy-bridge-e-kernel/

• Asus Z9PE W8 -> BIOS 5304
• CPU: 1x E5-2680v2 10x 2,8 Ghz
• 32 GB (4x8) Kingston ECC Ram
• HDD to test: 500GB Sata HDD from Seagate -> Sata Port 1 (i will clone it later on a SSD)
• Onboard VGA 1024x768 (working)

I can't install:
• Nvidia GTX 660 TI 2GB
• Nvidia GTX 285 1,5GB
• Nvidia GTX 770 4GB

- With 660ti -> -v GraphicsEnabler=No -> It hangs at PCI configuration begin. Sometimes at "RTC"

- With 660ti -> -v npci=0x2000/3000 GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0/1 -> it hangs at "unsupported CPU"

- With 285    -> GraphicsEnabler=Yes -> White screen with pixel/bricks. Looks like a defect resolution?

Do you know a way how to get my Nvidia cards working?

Thx for you help :)

The modified kernel is only needed when using v2 versions of the CPUs (not even sure about that, if it's needed or not).

Remote seems to be running it just fine without kexts or rollbacks, and with nvidia cards... i didn't have time yet to conduct some testing on my rig due to pending work, will do that tomorrow and will report back. It could be a ram issue, since he said RAM needed to be forced at 1600. This board is a real {censored} with GPUs, and part of our problems is also due to ASUS non standard implementation of UEFI.

I managed to get 10.9.1 booting but using three patched/rollback kexts, which sucks because they are already broken under 10.9.2. I know depending of the vendor of your GPU your mileage can vary...

Remote, did you ever updated your GPU bioses ?

Ok now I have an issue, wonder if you guys have any ideas. After about 30 minutes my system just hard freezes. No kernal panic or anything just frozen. I think it has to do with some sort of power management

I managed to get 10.9.1 booting but using three patched/rollback kexts

with these kexts did you get freezes?

Also would you mind showing your exact chameleon configuration. I turned off generate c states and p states.

The freezes are due probably to you audio or network, I experienced that too in the past. Be sure to use latest e1000 intel kext for the network and for the onboad audio, get the patch from toleda and the latest HDAEnabler, it will patch the Apple HDA kext and HDAEnabler will allow it to work properly without freezes.

In my chameleon I'm using these options :

BuiltInEthernet = Yes

Generate P & C States = Yes

DropSSDT = Yes

KextCaches = Yes

GraphicsEnables = No

Kernel Flags = npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 dart=0

I also dumped a DSDT with DSDT Editor, I compiled it (without patching anything) and I'm using it... don't know if it's really helpful or not, but I've had better booting with it.

10.9.1 works just fine with onboard VGA. Do i have to force the RAM to 1600mhz? It's set to "Independant" and uses 1600mhz as well. The thing is... i only use ONE cpu. So i insert the nvidia card to lane 1/3/5 right? But at lane 2/4 i also get a picture (BIOS etc.) and the same errors.

I will install 10.9.1 soon with Chameleon instead of Chimera. Do you have any installation guide for the Z9PE as a workthrough for me?

Thx so far!

doc

Edit: with bootflag "-v GraphicsEnabler=No dart=0 darkwave=0" this happens:

20140117_131858nhp96.jpg

sunset,

I will upload them a little bit later, but beware there is a catch with those kexts... you aren't running anymore vanilla, which means it can cause problems, I know that current build of 10.9.2 doesn't work with them, which is problematic for the future.

I say problematic because to be able to run our CPUs properly with turbo/speedstep/PM we need 10.9.2... it's the unified build with the MacPro 6,1 modifications.

Keep that in mind, that's why I've been trying to run it as vanilla as possible (but without success).

I actually have 2 systems I am working with. I think I figured out why I was getting the freezing. I had the NullPowermangement in there. I only need to run 10.9.1 right now stable. That is all that matters. Once I get past some work I plan on going the turbo/speed step route in the spring and 10.9.2. I haven't had any freezing on the system that didn't have null power management in there. I am 100% vanilla I believe. Except for SMBIOS which i have at Pro5,1.

What are all the kexts you are runing for vanilla stable? I actually don't have audio kexts in there at all, not using audio.

@dr noodle.

It's 'npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 dart=0 -v GraphicsEnabler=No'

Very specific..

I have yet to use any rollback kexts with this board... Pre Mavericks is NullCPUPM... Do not use in 10.9-10.9.2, audio does not work on this board.. I've never had it working nor spent more than 20minutes trying to get it to work. I use Blackmagic and Bluetooth for audio if needed.

I would strictly put gfx card in slot 1, no exceptions. If you can boot Linux/windows with that gfx it will work in 10.8.4+ It just means you need to modify NVDA100 to add your gfx and add device properties to org.chameleon.plist if GraphicsEnabler=Yes does not work.

Check my settings for PCI express and match it in Bios.

I have never tried a bios beyond 3206, I'm in Valencia, Spain right now.. My programmer will be in LA when I return...So I will be able to flash newer Bios 5304 and modded versions with fakesmc/boot loader included.

As I said earlier.. I have installed the absolute minimum to get this to work.

remote : For the onboard audio you can get it working using Toleda patch on AppleHDA kext couple with HDAEnabler, and it works just fine. I can link you that if you want.

I'm using a GTX 680 at the moment (Asus DirectCU II), the GTX680 is supposed to be supported natively and should be included inside NVDA100. Still if I want to run it on slot 1, I need the kexts. What patch are you referring to ?

Will give it a whirl on slots 5 or 7... and with your settings, been very busy.

I can't see a reason main GPU wouldn't work in slot 1 though. Does it work in slot 1 in windows?

I'm talking about manual injection, I had to do this for every card before 10.6 (If its not in the driver).

Thanks for audio, I never knew.. I'll try it.

@Remote:

"It just means you need to modify NVDA100 to add your gfx and add device properties to org.chameleon.plist if GraphicsEnabler=Yes does not work." -> how do i modify the nvda100 to get it work? Is there a modified kext i can download somewhere? And what do i have to write in the .plist?

I Installed a GTX 260 896MB  and this kext: http://www.osx86.net/files/download/864-nvdagf100hal-kext/

-> works! But only in 1600x1200 mode.... not a real improvement.

20140120_1447231buif.jpg

These KEXT i have in the "Extra" folder:

bildschirmfoto2014-0150krn.png

I have two of these systems running stable, minus audio, cd-rom and onboard USB3. USB2 works fine. I have a caldigit USB3 card that works fine.

Bios 5104, GeForce GT640 in Slot 3. Dual Proc Xeon E5-V1. 

User Kernal Cache, npci-0x3000,darkwake=0,ethernetbuiltin,generate p/c states,drop ssdt.

Using a DSDT I found T0nyX86. I need to build my own but I haven't had time, will do that when the turboing stuff is available.

Syst3m I am also in LA, would love to get your thoughts on turbo stuff in a month or two. That's really the only feature I think were missing.

You'll need to install windows and flash the asmedia chip to get usb 3 to work in osx.

dr noodle,

I have had several 260 896mb in the past. Get your dev/ven id's (quick google) and then modify the plist inside the kext(right click show contents).

You have to check NVDA 40 and 50. it is not in the NVdA100.kext I had it working with device properties made with osx86tools(ancient tool by PCwiz). There is I'm sure another way to generate the string. Then, Adding the string to org.chameleon.plist under Device Properties. Check Chameleon Wizard for injection with device properties. You'll have to do some extra work to get it to work, but I've always found modifying the kext personally works best.

Here is an ancient post from oldnapalm that can teach you quite a bit about Nvidia kexts, more than half is outdated, but halfway down there is information about EFi string and IOPRIMARYMATCH. This is called manual injection, it was the only way with unsupported cards a few years ago. I had to do this with all my gtx 260, not complicated at all.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/228733-basic-guide-about-nvidia-kexts/

• Like 1

Ok guys, reporting here about the inroads done with this board.

Managed to boot pretty much vanilla without the usual kexts I had to use before (PCI, AHCI). The thing is I need to have my GPU on slot 5 or 7, otherwise it doesn't work and I'm stuck at "PCI Configuration begins". This is due to the dual port we have on CPU0 (x8 or x16), and my guess is that depending on the GPU brand and bios, it does work or not on slot 1.

Also I played with bios settings and some stuff doesn't need to be disabled like remote did, or forced (ex : RAM speed). Of course this is on my side with the latest bios.

I'm running chameleon free at the moment and using Clover, runs smooth for now... I used a config.plist file for Clover where almost all the {censored} was removed and the file is pretty much minimal.

So, to sum up 10.9.1 is running just fine... gave a try at 10.9.2 but it's not working properly at the moment (maybe due to the beta status of it), something related to Bluetooth, SMC and GPU, probably all related to the PCIFamily kext that was updated. Lets wait and see.

If you want more info, shoot a question I will help as much as possible.

a.