About This Mac crashes and no system sleep with Sony Vaio

theconnactic

8 posts in this topic

Hi, folks!

Thanks to an arduous research here, there and everywhere, I'm running Mavericks on a borrowed 2011 Sony Vaio (15''-Core i3-HD 3000-Realtek 8168-Atheros 9285) almost perfectly. The cool thing is, I didn't need to replace any HW part - neither could I, since the machine's not mine - taking just hard work and quite a few hours of my time to get it running this way. This is quite uncommon for laptops, which usually won't have a supported bluetooth or a supported ethernet or supported card reader etc. That said, I'm getting some issues that, far from being a deal breaker, are anyway annoying enough to not try to solve.

First, sleep: this is kinda expected, since I had to patch AICPUPM for the mobile Sandy Bridge CPU to get rid of NCPUPM. The system won't go to sleep even if I use the sleep option in the Apple logo menu, or in the popup that appears when I press the laptop's power button. The screen will turn off, and that's all - and it won't turn back on, forcing me to do a hard reboot. Not funny. pmset -g assertions give me this output:

post-998446-0-43218600-1384293621.png

But iFire informed the kernel assertions are a bug and shouldn't prevent idle sleep, much less manual sleep.

Second, and equally frustrating, is that every time I try to use the "About This Mac" option of the Apple logo menu, i'm log off from the system. In fact, I found out it's a crash, here's a screenshot of Console's latest crash report about it:

Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 11.54.51 PM.png

If I access System Information via Applications/Utilities, it works just fine.

Any advices?

All the best!

Hi, folks!

It's said, but the user experience I'm getting with OSX on this laptop doesn't seem to match the potential implied by the almost 100% compatible parts. Besides the problems described above in the previous post, more issues have shown up, and they are quite more than an annoyance.

In System Preferences, I can get any info about installed memory: the system fails to report this. Meaning not only opening the About This Mac from the Apple logo menu crashes the whole system, as described before, but the utility itself misbehave even when opened from Spotlight. Images are always better than words:

Glitch.png

Another issue, a lot more concerning: I've been noticing the graphics performance is somewhat glitchy with the HD3000, despite the full QE/CI support. And I don't really know if it's related, but the system is getting random hangs: the screen freezes, I keep the ability to control the mouse pointer, but it's the only thing I can do, and I must hard reboot the machine to be able to interact with it somehow. Looking at Console messages coinciding with the time of the hang, I noticed this:

Hang.png

Any idea of what could be causing this, an better yet, if and how can I solve it?

All the best!

UPDATE: it appears to have happened a lot with real MBPs. This guy describes the kind of hang I'm experiencing quite exactly: https://discussions.apple.com/message/19219783#19219783

P.S.: the affected users all seem to have MBP (8,x) Sandy Bridge system definitions and Intel HD3000!

Well did you try their suggestions of using Onyx? :P Just wondering... And what happens if you try to wake it up when a external monitor is connected? My ancient netbook (:P) used to need a DSDT patch to restore the LCD brightness after waking up because the brightness went dead without it.

• Like 1

Hi again!

Tried Onyx as soon as I read the linked discussion, but no joy. And that's precisely what happens here: upon "wake" (quoted because the system doesn't really sleep) the backlight fails to wake, so I get a black screen. In fact, I have no doubt at all that the systems no sleep bug, the black screen upon "wake", and the about this Mac crash are all related issues.

All the best.

• 1 month later...

i'm having similar problems with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. about this mac crashed finder, the "specs" utlitily brings up blank under "memory" i have a slight gltich with my HD5570, it shows up as an HD5000 so some games won't launch despite having 3d acceleration working.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294761-1068-glitches-after-install/

theconnactic, this guide can solve your problem, take a look

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287133-guide-backlight-brightness-for-intel-80860046-1st-gen-hd-gma-5700mhd/?do=findComment&comment=1897758

• Backlight will work on waking up from ACPI sleep (note: if you ONLY want to enable this fix, and no other fixes, then see post number #6 )