IntelHD3000 - Cannot get QE/CI and Atheros 9285 won't work!

theconnactic

14 posts in this topic

Hi, folks!

Having lots of difficulties with these, which I took for granted as easy fixes. As always, tried hard to solve it myself, but since the troubleshooting steps that worked for others aren't working for me, I really could use some help.

The computer is a Sony Vaio laptop, with a Sandy Bridge I3-2370-TM CPU, Intel HD3000 graphics and Atheros 9285 Wi-Fi (as already described in the topic's title). 

I patched my DSDT with the 9285 patch and with the HD3000 patch from Olarila: http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1500 (warning: portuguese), but also tried without these patches and combinations of GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No and PCIRootUID=0/1. I use a MacBookPro 8,1 system definition as recommended for my hardware (sandy bridge). Attached is a Darwin Dumper report, an Everest Ultimate report, my current patched DSDT and my current org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Any help will be much appreciated!

All the best!

Didn't try it, I don't have a ML/Lion installer at hand anymore... Both should work: a lot of people reported success with the HD3000, and the 9285 requires a very simple and well-tested DSDT patch. In fact, it should be a cakewalk: I don't know why I'm not being able to get both to work...

All the best!

P.S.: just added to my DSDT a patch from Artur-PT to which I was directed by reading an old post from iFire: #3. Will reboot as soon as I finish a download and report here.

P.P.S.: yes, I prefer to focus first on solving QE/CI...

P.P.P.S.: but found this post from Oldnapalm and perhaps the 9285 will get dealt with first: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289824-atheros-9285/  (EDIT: done, now wi-fi works like it should. :D)

Right, first thing i tried ;)

I'm not Bono Vox but I still haven't found what i'm looking for. This is getting harder than I could imagine.

Tried accordingly with the topics linked in my latest post PSs with a cleaner DSDT - only DGTP and Dual-Link patches: still no joy.

This time, besides the DSDT, i'm also uploading an IOREG: DSDTIOREG.zip

P.S.: for the sake of accuracy, what i'm missing is Quartz Extreme: i think Core Image is indeed working, since the Launchpad doesn't freeze or hang, and i have proper resolution (but I had to adjust that with Graphics Mode in Chameleon) and 64MB of shared VRAM.

No joy: got a black screen with this framebuffer, had to boot without my DSDT to reach the Desktop - without QE/CI in this case (I think dual-link is needed for any framebuffer to give acceleration with my laptop's monitor).

P.S.: without a doubt, that was a step forward though: the black screen means at least this driver is loading...

P.P.S.: removed AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext and got to square one: good resolution and relative UI fluidity (Core Image) but no graphics acceleration for iLife, iWork, Youtube etc (Quartz Extreme).

SOLVED!

I just copied the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext from inside the /S/L/E of my USB installer and voilà, everything is fine now. I notice i slight brightness dim when the Desktop is reached, but nothing like a deal breaker. I have to boot without my DSDT, though, meaning i'll have to resort to other solutions to get my Conexant audio working - perhaps VoodooHDA, that doesn't really make a difference for me.

One think that eludes my understanding is why the stock kext didn't work, and the one from the installer does? Aren't they the same? Or perhaps MyHack corrupted the kext somehow during the installation process? Worth investigating. For now, i'm quite happy with this notebook, which became now one of the very few that fully work under OSX without need to replace any hardware parts.

All the best!