nForce OS X Mavericks (10.9) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

181 posts in this topic

Hi Fred,

I would recommend disconnecting the IPTV box when updating OS X from 10.9.4 to 10.9.5, in case it is interfering with a clean OS X update because OS  X is trying to connect to it without success.....

That's the thing, the IPTV box WAS disconnected, but since the OSX 10.9.4 "sees it"I think it kept some kind of record of it and, on update, it waits for it...but I'll try you first tip and go from there!

UPDATE

As usual, verdant, it's only a matter of following your instructions...:) Everything smooth sailing, at 10.9.5!! :)

Once again, thank you for your time and help!

First of all a big thank’s to verdant for this great guide and his continuos help in getting my system up and running with a dsdt.aml file!

I would like to post my experience with verdant’s guide wich I followed 98% and also post the mistakes I made so that other users succeed even easier with this great guide.

First my system configuration:

Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-e SLI (nForce 680i chipset) - BIOS Version 1404 - updated after successful installation to Version 1903

CPU: Q6600 @ 2,4 Ghz

RAM: 4GB DDR2

Grafik: Nvidia Gforce 8800 Ultra with 768 MB of RAM

HD: 500GB SATA

My baseline for this guide was a MacBook Pro - NO hackintosh! I also had no patched DSDT.aml file!

I followed Part B Stage 1 und Stage 2 of the guide 100%!

Since I didn’t have a hackintosh I booted from the USB device and formatted the disk with the Disk Utility which is part of the install device.

To make sure the OS X target HDD ownership is set correctly I started the Terminal from the install USB device and entered the given command (chown 0:0 /Volumes/„Name of the target HD“)

After this I started the installation.

Rebooting after the fist part of the installation procedure caused the following error: „Still waiting for root device“

So I booted again from the USB device and copied the AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext via Terminal from the USB device to S/L/E of the target HD

cp -R /„Name of USB-Device“/System/Library/Extensions/AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext /volumes/„Name of target Hd“/System/Library/Extensions/AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

I also moved the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext out of S/L/E of the target device to prevent a possible kernel panic on boot up:

mv /volumes/„name of target hd“/System/Library/Extensions/IntelCPU* /volumes/„name of target hd“/

I then made sure that the NullPowerManagement.kext was present in S/L/E of the target hd device.

After this I rebooted from the target hd and completed the install procedure of Mavericks.

Verdant supported me with a dsdt.aml file for my system so that I could enable EnhancedIntelSpeedStepping (EISS) in BIOS.

Here I made a „stupid“ mistake:

I tried to edit the org.chameleon.Boot.plist with textedit (<GeneratePStates><YES> and <GenerateCStates><Yes>). This looked fine but in consequence the file didn’t function properly. After creating a new org.chameleon.Boot.plist with the proper tool the file functioned as it should.

Since speed stepping was now active due to the DSDT.aml file I removed the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from S/L/E and copied the original AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleCPUPowerManagementClient.kext back into S/L/E.

I repaired permissions in S/L/E via Terminal and also repaired the kernel ownership and permissions via chown 0:0 /mach_kernel and chmod 644 /mach_kernel commands in Terminal.

Last I deleted all files except excludedkextalert.plist in /System/Library/caches/com.apple.kext.caches/startup/

I rebooted and configured the BIOS settings for EISS and the system booted just as it should  :)

Results in Geekbench3 (32bit):

MacBookPro @ 3,06 Ghz (mid 2009):

Single CPU: 1657

Multi CPU: 2994

Hackintosh Q6600 @ 2,4 Ghz (Hardware from late 2006/early 2007)

Single CPU: 1325

Multi CPU: 4469  :thumbsup_anim:

Again thank’s verdant for the great guide and your help and support!

Hi Fred and Q6600_First_Try

Glad to have been of help to you both......it is good to see our reliable Asus nForce chipset MOBOs still running as productive computers in daily use as they approach being 10 years old!......:)

Next step to install OS X 10.10 Yosemite once it finishes downloading....... ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi verdant, limiting the RAM with maxmem=3456 seems to have solved my freezing problem. But I would like to use all 6 GB of RAM. Do you think removing AppleNForceATA and using a PCIE SATA card will prevent freezes, or is this completely unrelated to the NForceATA kext?

Hi jaimethemorris

Since you have freezes, particularly during heavy data thoughput via the MOBO SATA ports, when using OS X (i.e. AppleNForceATA), unless you use maxmem=3456 on booting, I would hope for an improvement in stability by not overloading the 680i MCP, because the PCIe SATA card uses its own chipset for SATA (Asmedia ASM1061 chipset works with OS X - see post #8) has the option of going in different PCIe slots, (see attached architecture diagram) you can try each PCIe slot in turn to see which gives you the most stable / fastest throughput (despite the Asmedia ASM1061 chipset having only a PCI-E x1 lane: http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?item=118 )

post-200327-0-91921000-1417627170_thumb.png

You may not need to remove the AppleNForceATA if no OS X system HDD is connected to a MOBO SATA port.

Hi jaimethemorris

Since you have freezes, particularly during heavy data thoughput via the MOBO SATA ports, when using OS X (i.e. AppleNForceATA), unless you use maxmem=3456 on booting, I would hope for an improvement in stability by not overloading the 680i MCP, because the PCIe SATA card uses its own chipset for SATA (Asmedia ASM1061 chipset works with OS X - see post #8) has the option of going in different PCIe slots, (see attached architecture diagram) you can try each PCIe slot in turn to see which gives you the most stable / fastest throughput (despite the Asmedia ASM1061 chipset having only a PCI-E x1 lane: http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?item=118 )

attachicon.gif680i-sli-block.png

You may not need to remove the AppleNForceATA if no OS X system HDD is connected to a MOBO SATA port.

Thanks. I'm using ASM1061 in my Z68 build since I ran out of SATA ports and it works pretty well. I think I'll get another as soon as I have some money. If I'm being perfectly honest with myself though, I have no need for 6gb RAM on this computer since it's only a HTPC.

• 1 year later...

ok so i had to re-install my mavericks os on my evga 790i ultra. i got everything to install and when i rebooted...well now i get stuck at : "Still Waiting For Root Device". it comes right after "USBMSC Indentifier (non Unique)". ive tried the following flags one at a time:

-v PCIRootUID=1

-v PCIRootUID=0

-v GraphicsEnabler=Yes

-v npci=0x3000

-v -x GraphicsEnabler=yes npci=0x3000

still no luck!

ok so i had to re-install my mavericks os on my evga 790i ultra. i got everything to install and when i rebooted...well now i get stuck at : "Still Waiting For Root Device". it comes right after "USBMSC Indentifier (non Unique)". ive tried the following flags one at a time:

-v PCIRootUID=1

-v PCIRootUID=0

-v GraphicsEnabler=Yes

-v npci=0x3000

-v -x GraphicsEnabler=yes npci=0x3000

still no luck!

First check that your your BIOS settings have not altered using my OS X nForce BIOS template for 790i.

In particular, SATA RAID mode should be Enabled (implicitly enables AHCI mode).

Series7_nForce_Chipset_BIOS_SettingsV2.pdf

Also, your DVDRW drive should be a PATA (IDE) jumperr-set as Master and connected via 80-wire IDE cable to MOBO.

Yes, hopefully that should work......

All I can suggest is that you carefully re-trace your steps through my OS X Mavericks install guide, starting with the BIOS settings......without the SATA DVDRW connected to the MOBO....

• Like 1

im gonna go for it again today. it should be noted that i had 3gb of ram installed so i took out the odd ball 1gb stick. im also gonna try a differnet hard drive, no dvdrw plugged in and dissconnected the usb panel on the front of the case. I forgot to mention that the installation process has been slow. like 2 to 2.5 hrs slow. I dont recall it taking that long the last time i built this setup!

Either should work. BTW I presume you have checked the SMART status of your HDD?

nagtive ghost rider…i havnt because I've tried three different drives.  i reformatted and reinstalled w same results. i was taking a gander at the yosemite guide you've written and seem maybe a tad more simple and am trying to decide wether to keep going w macs or try for yosemite. its just irks me that this machine ran mavericks before no problem and now I'm having issues. 

Since you had Mavericks working before, I would get that running again first but first split your HDD into 2 volumes, and then install Yosemite on the 2nd partition......and enjoy both......

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so status update. I thought when i built this rig the first time i used the usb. Found the dvdrw that i actually used, plugged in pata drive and installed. She is back up and running so any issue i posted about previously were issues lying between the key board and the seat (me) lol. So now to fine tune this thing. Be prepared I'm sure for some questions about patching dsdt and getting my graphics to run proper. Heres the first few:

Should i do all the patching on the dsdt as a first step in fine tuning the build?

You mentioned the GFX0 patch i believe? Where can i find info for this?

Ive installed the geforce kexts and still my graphics are super laggy, especially scrolling thru finder or a safari page. Is this something that will be fixed with a dsdt patch or should i look elsewhere?

Re your DSDT, first follow the patching procedure I give in post #4 of this topic, and then post your DSDT.aml here, together with the following info:

1. What is the video RAM (VRAM) of your GeForce 8600 graphics card?

2. Install and run IORegistryExplorer (Google is your friend) and use "Save a Copy As" to save your IOReg output as a "Username"Mac Pro.ioreg file, and let me know what version of IORegistryExplorer you used.

3. Post it for me to download.

4. Also, If you are dual booting with Windows, then use GPU-Z to extract your graphics card ROM file and post it here.....this way I can check its NVCAP string.....

5. Then I wil modify the DSDT.aml file for you and explain what I changed.....

• Like 1

I got your PM and replied....

As I do not have your 8600GT .rom file, I will start with the IOReg NVCAP info but if that does not work I will try my 8600GT .rom NVCAP info in the DSDT GFX0 patch....BTW what is your brand GeForce 8600GT card?

Hey Verdant, this is the info you asked for.  I tried to follow all the DSDT editing to a t.  The compiler returned Zero results, and allowed to save and load it.  Still don't have any Graphics acceleration.  Firefox is the only browser that works correctly.  Safari and Chrome, the screen gets super glitchy and temporarily freezes the hackintosh.  My QE/CI are functioning correctly I believe.  I installed the ADI1988 kext, still no sound, onboard or PCI-E.  I tried to follow your Yosemite Guide, created install media, and I get a kernel panic with "unable to find driver for this platform".  The App Store will not allow me to download it again since I have dl'ed El Capitan.  That won't run on my system as far as I know, I believe one of the files is corrupt, where can I get one?.. Thank you for all you Help!  I have made it from SL to Mavericks so far! Posting would not let me Submit attached files for downloads, so here are dl links to dropbox for the files.  My IOREGEXPLO version is 3.0.4.

IOREG File:httpshttps://www.dropbox.com/s/q6qt0xcqdgwvrsg/ovaltrackrcr.macpro.ioreg?dl=0

LSPCI Text Output:https://www.dropbox.com/s/07y5fm0a1c9eyp8/lspci.terminal.text?dl=0

GPU-Z info:https://www.dropbox.com/s/juzfl3cl1tc3u2l/GPU-Z%20Output.gif?dl=0

DSDT File:https://www.dropbox.com/s/54935mh4duupwul/DSDT.aml?dl=0

You have given me the GPU-Z output but not saved your GPU .rom file for me?

Anyhow, try the DSDT.aml file in here:

DTGP RTC TIMR IPIC LPCB HDEF GFX0 patched and Mirone AppleHDA Mavericks.zip

Put the Mirone-patched AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E and then in Terminal type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
exit

and let me know if you then have audio in Mavericks.....

Regarding OS X power management, let me know if you get this kernel panic being generated during bootup:

"no HPETs available ... CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-......."

I will leave you to sort out any graphics card and AGPM.kext issues.....see here.

• Like 1

That's my bad sir. I had extracted it, and didn't post it.  I will add it here.  Thank you soo much for your help!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3a3trco37qdu59i/GTX750.rom?dl=0

The onboard audio still doesn't work. The gfx card runs on the pci bus... Why can't the audio.. Hmmm. It's all about addressing and sending the signal to the right one?