New to this - HP HDX 16

dbraun31

31 posts in this topic

I know this is an older laptop by now (purchased in 2009), I am interested in dual booting Win 7 and OS X. I've been a PC user for years and admittedly do not know much about mac, which is a main reason I would like to dual boot. I've been doing my due diligence of Google research and have come across mixed results. 

I already have a dual boot ubuntu - win 7 set up and I'm wondering how much more difficult it would be to create this with a mac. As I understand it, I would create a partition for the OS X, install the operating system to that partition, repair the bootloader, then scour the web for kexts (drivers) to try and get all my externally connected hardware to work on the mac operating system. 

I'm hoping I have the general gist of this and I'm looking forward to taking on this project. I know hardware compatibility is a big issue but I've seen people running (snow leopard?) on HP HDX 16. Anyway, I would appreciate if a more experienced user could verify that I'm on the right track before I decide to begin this endeavor.

Hardware:

Computer: ACPI x64-based PC

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Intel Core Duo CPU 2GHz

IDT High Definition Audio

(Not sure what else is needed here)

You have access to a Mac? 

Much easier to set up a USB flash drive or external as an installer using OSX, one can also use VM in Windows or Linux to configure also. 

The most trouble you will have is simply getting the installer to load up if your missing or have the improper info in your, org.chameleon.Boot.plist, smbios.plist

Use Kext Wizard app and also Chameleon Wizard to help you... These app never existed before Hackintosh literally exploded to a lot of users, never been so easy to install.  

Use Google or this forum to read up on how to. 

Best to your endeavor!

• Like 1

Okay, I don't have access to a Mac but I'm sure I can obtain a Snow Leopard install disc. Not quite sure how I would ensure I have the proper info in org.chameleon.boot.plist or smbios.plist (F8 during disk load to edit parameters? Don't know much about mac code.) Use disk utility to reformat the desired partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then, once installed, use Chameleon Wizard to restore the bootloader and Kext Wizard to make my devices compatible with OS X? 

Another question, if I keep the linux partition intact will Chameleon allow me the option to boot to Snow Leopard, Win 7, and Ubuntu? 

I know this is an older laptop by now (purchased in 2009), I am interested in dual booting Win 7 and OS X. I've been a PC user for years and admittedly do not know much about mac, which is a main reason I would like to dual boot. I've been doing my due diligence of Google research and have come across mixed results. 

I already have a dual boot ubuntu - win 7 set up and I'm wondering how much more difficult it would be to create this with a mac. As I understand it, I would create a partition for the OS X, install the operating system to that partition, repair the bootloader, then scour the web for kexts (drivers) to try and get all my externally connected hardware to work on the mac operating system. 

I'm hoping I have the general gist of this and I'm looking forward to taking on this project. I know hardware compatibility is a big issue but I've seen people running (snow leopard?) on HP HDX 16. Anyway, I would appreciate if a more experienced user could verify that I'm on the right track before I decide to begin this endeavor.

Hardware:

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Intel Core Duo CPU 2GHz

first of all get vmware workstation and get mountain lion virtual machine image.

When u install u can follow  this guide to make installer.

Or even better install latest mountain lion 10.8.5.

Dont use snow leopard since its old by now and u have good hardware to run latest mountain lion.

Another think its to go with better bootloader like clover.

first of all get vmware workstation and get mountain lion virtual machine image.

Dont use snow leopard since its old by now and u have good hardware to run latest mountain lion.

Alright so here's my understanding currently:

Use vmware to create a virtual OS X environment on my PC to make a bootable USB drive. The guide you referenced seemed to deal with more kext issues, I found this guide which deals with creating a bootable USB drive. (However, I am not sure how to make it so this drive will be bootable on a PC from BIOS). 

Change boot priority to USB in BIOS and change PCH SATA Control Mode to AHCI

Boot from USB drive, use disk utility to format partition to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - Install OS

Use clover to establish the bootloader. (I tried to understand the the extensive guide, hoping I can just use the default settings for a BIOS set up - still unclear as to whether clover will allow me to boot into ubuntu also?)

Then use a combination of the guide you mentioned along with Kext Wizard App to install the necessary kexts. (However, looking through the forums I suppose I shouldn't expect my Intel Wifi 5100 to work?)

Hardware:

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Intel Core Duo CPU 2GHz

if you have core duo then only snow leo. if you have core 2 duo the use lion or mountainlion

Clover will allow u to boot into every os u have.

Clover will inject kext soo no need to install it.

Clover will do all u need to run and install,dual boot..

to learn about clover read wiki

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Home

to setup clover use this tool

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/49-clover-configurator/

guide i show u have a list of needed kexts and only that nothing more.

U need to download this kexts and put it into clover kexts folder.

Guide how to make mountain lion usb that will work with clover and original macs

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57479690-263/how-to-create-an-os-x-10.8-mountain-lion-install-drive/

Clover will allow u to boot into every os u have.

Clover will inject kext soo no need to install it.

Clover will do all u need to run and install,dual boot..

to learn about clover read wiki

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Home

to setup clover use this tool

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/49-clover-configurator/

guide i show u have a list of needed kexts and only that nothing more.

U need to download this kexts and put it into clover kexts folder.

Guide how to make mountain lion usb that will work with clover and original macs

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57479690-263/how-to-create-an-os-x-10.8-mountain-lion-install-drive/

Thank you for your help I do appreciate this as I am basically trying to learn all there is in one night.

Am I correct with the order of all this then:

Install OS X, then download kexts, place in clover kext folder, 

Then use clover configurator to install all the components of clover (kexts, boot options etc)

I'm a little shaky on the role of this configurator.. does it install clover for you? Can't seem to find an explanation attached to it.

Also - the kexts listed in your link are for 10.7.3. Will these still be effective if i use 10.8.5?

Thank you for your help I do appreciate this as I am basically trying to learn all there is in one night.

Am I correct with the order of all this then:

Install OS X, then download kexts, place in clover kext folder, 

Then use clover configurator to install all the components of clover (kexts, boot options etc)

I'm a little shaky on the role of this configurator.. does it install clover for you? Can't seem to find an explanation attached to it.

Also - the kexts listed in your link are for 10.7.3. Will these still be effective if i use 10.8.5?

No,no,no...

Right way its

Restore osx to usb stick,install clover to that usb stick.

Configue clover using clover configurator.

Install kext to clover folder.

then u can install osx to hdd and copy clover folder to hdd.

Kext that u must use its fakesmc,AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip and VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip and they will be good for 10.8.5

No,no,no...

Right way its

Restore osx to usb stick,install clover to that usb stick.

Configue clover using clover configurator.

Install kext to clover folder.

then u can install osx to hdd and copy clover folder to hdd.

Kext that u must use its fakesmc,AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip and VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip and they will be good for 10.8.5

ohh okay so use clover to boot from the usb to install the os x! That makes sense thank you. Then just copy (as opposed to reinstalling) clover on the hdd?

And so the fakesmc.kext.zip, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip and VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip listed in that guide are good for 10.8.5? What about the DSDT file with the specific fix for 9600 M GT and the rest of the kexts on that guide? Should I install them to the clover folder before installing os x also?

Once again thank you for your patience, I am trying to reduce the amount of trial and error when I actually go through with this and you are a big help!

ohh okay so use clover to boot from the usb to install the os x! That makes sense thank you. Then just copy (as opposed to reinstalling) clover on the hdd?

And so the fakesmc.kext.zip, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip and VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip listed in that guide are good for 10.8.5? What about the DSDT file with the specific fix for 9600 M GT and the rest of the kexts on that guide? Should I install them to the clover folder before installing os x also?

Once again thank you for your patience, I am trying to reduce the amount of trial and error when I actually go through with this and you are a big help!

use clover functions to patch dsdt if even required.

When u start this and u learn how to use clover u will be really happy!

New problem - Just realized my BIOS menu options are EXTREMELY limited (InsydeH20 V3 72 - latest update). 

There's no way to set my hardware to AHCI as far as I can tell, from looking around this seems to be a common limitation of the InsydeH20 series.

Is there a way around this to install and dual boot os x on my pc? 

Can I simply find more capable BIOS software and flash it? (Don't know too much about BIOS specifics and don't want to take shots in the dark as failure could result in inability to boot at all). 

Can't seem to overcome this frustrating impasse.

^ Solved it. Turns out HP HDX 16 is AHCI by default. I still would like the option to be able to have control over this (and a lot more) from my BIOS but not at the risk of destroying my computer. There's some neat BIOS mods out there though.  ;)

Been at it all day and can't get past step one (OSX VM on W7 to restore OSX to USB). 

The limited BIOS options do hurt me here as even though I have hardware virtualization capability I have no way of enabling it from my current InsydeH20 V3 72 BIOS. - So frustrating. 

I have used the vmware-vmx-patch which seems flakey.. The best I've managed to do is boot the virtual machine in 32 bit mode where it instantly goes to grey screen with crossed through circle (slash sign) and crashes. After extensive Google research I found that in a mac this means it can't find a drive or file to boot from?

Unless anyone can (or still cares to) help my frustrated soul with this problem I guess I'll wait until I can borrow a mac book to make the bootable flash drive  :(

Been at it all day and can't get past step one (OSX VM on W7 to restore OSX to USB). 

The limited BIOS options do hurt me here as even though I have hardware virtualization capability I have no way of enabling it from my current InsydeH20 V3 72 BIOS. - So frustrating. 

I have used the vmware-vmx-patch which seems flakey.. The best I've managed to do is boot the virtual machine in 32 bit mode where it instantly goes to grey screen with crossed through circle (slash sign) and crashes. After extensive Google research I found that in a mac this means it can't find a drive or file to boot from?

Unless anyone can (or still cares to) help my frustrated soul with this problem I guess I'll wait until I can borrow a mac book to make the bootable flash drive  

What vmware version u are using?

what image u using?

what patch are u using?

if i were you, i'd go to http://iatkos.me/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23105  and use that. if you use windows right now, get transmac to write the .dmg to usb.

Okay I'll look into this. I have ubuntu and I know Gparted can format to HFS+ so I can use that my only concern was having to use a .pkg install for clover (which I can only do with mac software). But if this method allows me to copy a os x install and bootloader to a usb without having to run any mac programs then its probably my best option.

i dont think the bootloader will work but there's an iso of charmelon: http://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-21-latest-version-download-links-updated

no windows? transmac only works in windows, and transmac can format usb's to hfs+...

transmac: http://www.acutesystems.com/scrtm.htm

i dont think the bootloader will work but there's an iso of charmelon: http://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-21-latest-version-download-links-updated

no windows? transmac only works in windows, and transmac can format usb's to hfs+...

transmac: http://www.acutesystems.com/scrtm.htm

I have a dual boot win 7 and ubuntu setup right now so I can use either.. Do I need to burn charmelon and the installer image to seperate hfs+ partitions on the usb? Ideally, I would like to create a scenario where I can triple boot win mac and ubuntu. My other thought was to use the iATKOS you suggested and restore it to a bootable USB through ubuntu through the technique described here. Not sure if that will work or if it will even be easier than what you're suggesting now. 

Okay new idea! Format a ~ 8 gig usb to hfs+ with two partitions (one large one small). Install clover from PC using this technique http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/index/0-5 to the small partition. Then, I already have a Mountain Lion .dmg image on my hard drive, so use transmac to burn this image on to the larger partition on the USB? My only concern is if this would be the same as "restoring" a .dmg to a usb through disk utility. Assuming this works, I plan to use clover configurator once osx is installed to obtain the proper boot options and kexts as necessary.

As of right now this is my plan and I would like to have an experienced user verify that this is a reasonable choice of action before I decide to finally commit to this endeavor!

Okay new idea! Format a ~ 8 gig usb to hfs+ with two partitions (one large one small). Install clover from PC using this technique http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/index/0-5 to the small partition. Then, I already have a Mountain Lion .dmg image on my hard drive, so use transmac to burn this image on to the larger partition on the USB? My only concern is if this would be the same as "restoring" a .dmg to a usb through disk utility. Assuming this works, I plan to use clover configurator once osx is installed to obtain the proper boot options and kexts as necessary.

As of right now this is my plan and I would like to have an experienced user verify that this is a reasonable choice of action before I decide to finally commit to this endeavor!

i dunno about the partitons... i would burn charmelon to a cd and transmac the mountain lion dmg onto the usb.

I want to seek out your advice because you first put me on to clover and so you would probably know more about this issue than I do. I installed clover to a USB through bootdisk utility. I restored my .dmg to a separate USB through transmac. However, when I boot off my clover USB, clover can see my Windows and Ubuntu operating systems, but it cannot see the USB with my restored .dmg as a bootable option. Is there any advice or any way you would know to go about solving this problem? I feel like I'm so close!

Update! Tried using chameleon and the error was 'no kernal cache file ' /system/library/caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/.87061851' found

can't find /mach_kernal

whats that mean??

Edited by dbraun31