Sign in to follow this  
przndoom5

What version of OS X is best suited for my laptop and what all features can I expect to work?

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

New here, just joined. Have been reading about OSx86 and hackintoshes since quite some time, frequently read topics here but this is the first one I'm posting. I have a spare laptop, Lenovo R61, with specs nearly identical, if not completely, to the Late 2007 Macbook. Quite old, I know. Here are the specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.2 GHz

2GB DDR2 RAM

120GB HDD

Intel X3100 with 384MB VRAM

Now, on the wiki page I can see that highest possible version of OS X that the Macbook-equivalent of my laptop can run is Lion. So I think it's safe to presume that my laptop will too support it. But what would the performance be like? Can anyone suggest which version would be able to provide the smoothest user experience on my laptop? My laptop's touchpad doesn't support multi-touch, so gestures are out of question I guess.

Also, what all features can I expect to work? Or which ones I can't? Any tips regarding installation or user experience are welcome too and I am grateful to everyone who tries to help.  :)

Kudos!  :D

Advertisement

Yes, you can use Lion, but not Mountain Lion because of your graphics chip which is no longer supported there. 

For installation guides look into the corresponding section of the forum.

Which of all the features and function will work and how well will depend on the exact hardware configuration (LAN/WiFi chip, cardreader chip, etc...) and will most likely require some tinkering and tweaking. If you have a working Windows system on that laptop at the moment you can use Aida64 to find out the exact models of these and other controller chips and post them here for your and our reference.

Also, some DSDT editing might be required. If you dont feel confident enough to do that yourself you can ask in the DSDT section if someone can do that for you.

And depending on how you use your system, upgrading the RAM to 4GB may or may not be nessecary

I suggest to install Snow 10.6.8 and do all the securitiy updates for this system.

Lion is a resource eater and therefore slower. I had it on my MBP with Core 2 Duo, before it died the nvidia gfx dead.

Upgrade Ram 4 GB seems to be usefull.

Get an original 10 6.? (don't no the which version was the last complete release) and download the necessary comboupdates to upgrade to 10 6.8.

Here in the Downloads get Pandora. You are guided with tips throu the pre- and postinstall.

With the search funktion you can surely find many topics with similar builds.

Have fun.

Thank you Drake and Styrian for your replies :) My laptop is not with me right now so I can't post the additional hardware details just yet. Nevertheless, I will try to find out more about the compatibility of my hardware on my own. :D Also, I have decided that I will be installing Snow Leopard, and would update it to the 10.6.8 version. However, upgrading the RAM doesn't seem to be an option for me   :worried_anim: Will 2 GB be enough? And is there any way to assign virtual memory in Mac, like swap partition in Linux or Readyboost in Windows? (Although I believe swap would be more effective since my laptop doesn't have USB 3.0 ports). Again, thanks a heap guys for helping! Much appreciated.  :)

EDIT : OK, I looked up about the swap feature and found my answer. This answers it all. :) So I'll be marking this as solved. Thanks for your help guys! :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tluck
      Lenovo T460 macOS with Clover Guide
      Release v2018.05.17 on GitHub Updated to Clover r4458 Updated Lilu.kext - supports both Sierra and High Sierra Updated AppleALC.kext - supports both Sierra and High Sierra + added back DVMT patch for 10.13.2+ Updated VoodooPS2Controller.kext (RehabMan version) + SSDT updates for T460 Added Frank's T470p DSDT files
        Various Tweaks over Last months The zip file is a complete Clover ESP (/EFI) bundle and kext pack for the Lenovo T460. The current file bundle is tested on Sierra. 
      Note: I never got the GFX fully working on El Capitan. 
      Full Clover file set - config.plist etc. Includes all custom kexts Includes custom DSDT/SSDT scripts and patches Utility scripts The zip bundles are posted to GitHub: https://github.com/tluck/Lenovo-T460-Clover/releases
      Caveat: The T460 systems used here was configured with: i5-6300U, Intel HD Graphics 520, 1920x1080 touch screen. If you have a different system model, then extract the ACPI files and use the included scripts to create a set of files consistent with your system type and BIOS version. See below for details.
      Credits: RehabMan, Shmilee, vusun123, TimeWalker, Mieze from which, much of their work and help is/was was used to get the T460 to this point.
      Devices and aspects working:
      Ethernet -  Intel I219LM is enabled via IntelMausiEthernext.kext WiFi/BT - substitute the Intel WiFi/BT with a compatible Broadcom or Atheros chip Audio - ALC293 codec implemented via AppleALC.kext (old AppleHDA_ALC293 and CodecCommander kexts are not needed) PS2 - ClickPad + TrackPoint + all 3 buttons - using a modified VoodooPS2Controller to support new layouts - and added some custom Fn key maps based on 440/450 dsdt USB - implemented via custom SSDT + USBInjectAll kext. All USB3/USB2 ports are intel-based and work -  3 external USB and internal Camera, BT, etc  Sleep/Wake - the sleepwatcher package and custom sleep/wake scripts are used to help with sleep/wake for BT and PS2 devices. Note: have not tried to implement the SD card reader - no driver found.
      ACPI Files
      New Installation - Steps and Details
      Part 1 - OS Installation
      Part 2- Post OS Installation and Setup
      Notes on Custom Kexts

• By TheMiningSheep
      Olá gente. Já faz um tempo que eu venho pesquisando sobre o Hackintosh e a obsessão só vem crescendo. 

Li muita coisa mas ainda não tenho total certeza em como fazer o processo. Meu notebook é um Lenovo G40-80, gostaria da opinião de vocês se realmente é aconselhável fazer, se rodaria legal e coisas assim.

System Info está aqui (https://i.imgur.com/4EMTdRc.png) 

Já sei como criar o pendrive bootavel e que minha placa de rede não é compatível, usarei um adaptador usb até a outra chegar. O que eu mais venho duvida é sobre pós-instalação e sobre quais kexts devo usar.
      Caso for possível o hack, farei um tutorial exclusivo para quem tem essa maquina e está sofrendo também. 

Agradeceria muito as vossas ajudas. 

• By vesting
      Hello,
      I own a Lenovo Thinkpad T520 with this hardware:
      CPU: Intel Core i5-2520M 2.50 GHz
      Motherboard: Lenovo 4242Y13 Chipset Intel sandy bridge
      RAM: 8Gb DDR3 dual channel
      Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000
      Storage: 320 Gb HDD 7200 rpm.
      Wireless Card: Intel 82579LM Gbit network connection
      Trackpad.
      Ports:
       - 2 USB 2.0  - 1 USB 3.0  - 1 VGA  - 1 Card reader  - 1 Ethernet Is it Hackintosh compatible? I would like to install High Sierra, or at least El Capitan. I read that someone made it following the T410's guide, but they had the i7 version of the T520 with NVidia graphics. can you help me please?
      Thank you for your time.

• By jojo2203
      Hallo,
      habe versucht nach der Anleitung von http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/  auf einen X220 i7 zu installieren, bisher leider erfolglos. kann mir jemand die angehangenen Log Meldungen interpretieren und einen Tip geben an welcher Stelle ich weiter probieren muss. Habe es schon mit den folgenden Bootparametern probiert
      -v -x -s -f cpus=1 maxmem=4096 GraphicsEnabler=No -no-zp
      Es war ein 8 GB Speicherriegel gesteckt und die "neue" WLAN Karte, außerdem ist zusätzlich zur MSATA eine weitere HDD installiert.

• By zafirofx
      Hi everyone. I installed MacOS High Sierra on my computer 3 months ago, in January. After a long way to get the computer fully working now I'm facing a new problem: imagine I'm working or doing something in my computer and it suddenly freezes and I have to restart it.  There's no reason why the computer restarts by itself...
      Here I also attach my Clover EFI folder in case you need it (it doesn't allow me to attach it so here i give you the link: https://mega.nz/#!92xCiLDZ!WY1F55ZvuP-9WW369EP9KY-3hNLt5sWUgJDxPrbgpPM .
      Thank you in advance.